1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A scary experience tonight

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SohoDreamer, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So tonight I almost got mugged and I think I would've done if I hadn't used some initiative.

I was walking home from a friends house and as I turned a corner after a hill I saw a group of 4 hooded guys at the end of the street, which was by then a stone throw away from my house. I felt slightly apprehensive but decided to proceed anyway as I didn't really have anywhere else to go.

They were coming towards me and a couple of them sped up past the other two which started to make me more nervous. I could hear them talking loudly and laughing, they looked around my age and all about my size so I knew I wasn't going to be able to take on 4 guys at once unless I got lucky.

As they got closer I noticed a house to my side with all the lights on, and I walked straight into it's driveway with no hesitation, thinking that this might look like legitimate if I didn't pause. As soon as I did this they sprinted down the street, but I wasn't sure if they'd gone yet or were hiding at the other side.

I stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before knocking the door but there was no answer; either somebody had left their lights on or they heard the noises outside and were afraid. So I looked behind me and couldn't see or hear anyone and I took a brisk walk down the street to my house.

Once I was inside, I felt relieved. I can't actually be sure if these guys were planning on mugging me, if they were being weird on purpose to freak me out or if they were just drunk and hadn't even registered my appearance.

Either way I do feel a little shaken up now. It'd be worse if I hadn't acted quickly to avoid them but I don't really feel like I should be feeling nervous so close to my own home. I've never had an experience like that before so close to home but it's now left me a little bit worried about walking home that way when it's dark.

Has anyone here been mugged before or had some close encounters?

2. Ryu

Ryu

They might of been on a light jog...
    Ermm... Yeah... Good for you, and lucky for you as well! I'd hate to be in that situation...

3. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily, I have never been in a mugging-type situation. That sounds damn terrifying though....

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that does sound like a scary experience. It's hard to say whether those guys meant you harm but better safe than sorry in my book. Well done for your quick thinking, and I hope you're alright now. :slight_smile:

5. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Guest

I walk my little dog, Tinker, at night and I live in a semi-rural area. Sometimes, we get strangers walking through the area and you just don't know what is going to happen next. I would really be scared if it were a group of guys.

6. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I obviously couldn't be sure but I didn't want to risk it since I had my phone on me. I'm naturally a little paranoid, probably made worse by the vast amount of weed I used to smoke but I quit that. I have to say I'm fairly sure they were going to try and mug me but like you say, it's much better safe than sorry. I came out unscathed, just feel a little vulnerable now.

7. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

It could have been anything but you did a good thing like others have said. Being by yourself at night can make you an easy target, especially to groups so it's good to be more cautious. My bro was mugged right outside my house once in the early hours and that shook me and my family up. He's ok now though and I hope you feel ok.

8. TheStormInside

I've had a few experiences where I think I was being "tailed" and targeted but fortunately nothing has actually happened. Back in college I was out with some friends and one of my friends noticed this group following us and acting really shifty. We picked up our pace and dodged into a restaurant quickly enough to avoid an incident.

A year or two ago I was walking to my house on a generally safe street, I've walked there many times before without issue. But this time some older guy appeared to be on my tail. I got a little unnerved and picked up my pace, but hoped he was just happening to be on the same route as I was. What makes me pretty certain he was not, however, was that when I turned the corner to my house he followed, but as soon as I stepped up to my steps he quickly swerved away and went in the other direction.

I keep meaning to invest in some pepper spray, as I'm often walking around at night. Might not be a bad idea for you, either, if you feel unsafe for whatever reason. Hopefully those guys were just drunk or messing with you, but yeah, better safe than sorry.

9. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think pepper spray would work on a sole mugger, but if it was just one guy then I'd take him on unless he was a monster of a man. If it's a group then you'd have to be fairly deft with your weapon otherwise it'd probably get used against you.

I think it's definitely good to have your wits about you at night though when on your own. It's an unfortunate fact that some people are up to no good and if I hadn't thought to quickly dodge into that houses drive then I might have been beaten up and lacking a phone, wallet etc now.

10. TheStormInside

I suppose so, if you have confidence in your self defense skills. As for me I'm a woman under 5ft and with zero fighting ability, so pepper spray seems the better option. :lol:

It's definitely good to have your wits about you. Fortunately I grew up in a nice neighborhood, but my father didn't have the same luxury when he was growing up, so he always taught my brothers and I to be aware of our surroundings, carry ourselves with confidence, and so on, so that if someone were up to trouble we'd have a better chance of avoiding it.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's important to note that some folks don't react to pepper spray.

As for avoiding people jumping you, I second what TheStormInside is saying. Acting confident tends to weed out many would-be attackers, because they're looking for an easy target:

• Looks below the eyes of their attacker, which shows insecurity/lack of confidence/submissiveness.
    • Has their hands tucked into their pockets, which makes them restrained.
    • Wears loose articles of clothing, which can be used to grab and restrict limbs, or even cover the mouth.
    • Has revealing clothing, which allows access to direct skin, which can traumatize a victim into place.
    • Will, at best, only glance at their would-be attacker and turns around quickly, which shows fear -- and is the green light.

Of course, if you're targeted by a group, this becomes a bit more problematic, because they'll believe, with numbers, they can get what they want. This is why I believe people should have a weapon on them, but only if they know how to use it -- nothing quite worsens a situation like your own weapon being used against/on you. You can't do much to even the number games by yourself, unless you're Bruce Lee or have a weapon. Sure, you could run, but you better be fast, and you had best hope a safe location is nearby.

Have I been mugged? No. But I have been "jumped" before, which is kind of the same thing, only it wasn't for any materialistic reason.

You do what you have to, when push comes to shove. Don't make being a victim easy; make that fucker always remember, you weren't just another indulgence.

12. MisterTinkles

I have never been mugged, but I too have been in your situation before.

Luckily I am tall and hefty, so once they get up close to me, they usually change their minds.

When walking alone, especially in the dark or just at night, or in a unfamiliar place......
    you should walk with your keys in your hand like this...
    [​IMG]

That way, if they try to mug or attack you in any way, you jab them in the eye and run like hell.

If you keep a pen in your pocket at all times like I do, keeping a pen in your hand while you walk is also a good idea.

You can also get spray mace that comes in pocket sized sprayers that will attach to your keychain.

Here are some other ways to hold your keys....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They also make something called a Safety Kat. Basically, it is a type of "brass knuckle" with sharp points on it, that you can stab or scratch with.

ALWAYS go for the eyes or throat!!!

[​IMG]

#12 MisterTinkles, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad you managed to stay safe.

Yeah, I've been there, but the (3) guys were pretty drunk (a.k.a slow) and I also was riding a bike, so I guess I was lucky.

They gave you good advice, but there is nothing like getting some self-defense classes, you never know when you are going to need them.

Also don't wear expensive stuff, or walk around talking to your shiny brandnew idevice. It's kind of obvious, but some of us tend to forget that.