1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there such thing as not being "trans enough"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Mar 7, 2015.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just like many people talk about cis gender privilege, I think there is also a "binary privilege". I mean, when I tell people that I (a male-born person) identify as a tomboyish girl, they all tell me... "so What's the point?" :lol::lol:

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My question is who cares? You are unique and you can be whoever you want to be

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's this idea that you *must* undergo HRT, surgery, and eventually, stealth, among some binary trans folk. Of course, this involves fitting into male and female stereotypes, which is almost the opposite of what transitioning and coming out should be.

People who say things like, "If you're attracted to men/women, why didn't you just stay with your assigned sex?" or, "If you're going to be a feminine man/masculine woman, what's the point?" easily confuse gender, expression, and sexuality, when they're not the same thing, or even related.

Yeah, it's always crushing to hear someone who *should* be an understanding ally say things like that, and more so when you look up to and respect them.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate when people in the community police gender roles and stereotypes, saying if you don't do X, Y and Z that you "aren't trans enough". Trans people come from all walks of life and there is no right or wrong way to be such. My partner has gotten this a lot as a femme transguy, being asked "why do you wear makeup if you identify as male" among other things.

It's really frustrating, and the whole "gender role boxes" need to be thrown out already.

5. randomly me

randomly me Guest

i don't think there is a thing as not trans enough there are tomboyish girls and men who like to wear dresses they still identify as male or female so why shouldn't trans people do the same?apart from that these not trans enough things are usually stereotypes and no one cis or trans should be defined by them.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I believe that it is not my place to tell others that they are or are not trans. If they identify as trans, then I will respect that identity.

The whole idea of "not trans enough" has always bothered me, because it alienates some people in a community that is already alienated. Also, some people apply the "not trans enough" thing to non-binary transgender people. They need support as well, and I have seen binary transgender people cut them off from it.

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's definitely focus on the binary trans story right now, but as that pushes more into society our time will come as well. I think pretty much all labels are social construct, so no label is every going to fit anyone 100% all the time. Anyone who says 'you are(n't) X,Y, and Z therefore you aren't [label]' is being ignorant (to be harsh, sorry).

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, there is not. It's like not being "gay enough". Like even if you have these credentials, what is the reward?

It's dumb and arbitrary.

9. RainDreamer

I wrote my thought about this before:

We are somehow always being upheld to a certain "standard" that people put on us, and if we don't follow that, we are not considered to be the gender we are transitioning into, not considered "trans enough", not "feminine enough", not "masculine enough".
    For some reason they forget that human are complex creatures and not all can conveniently fits in stereotypes.

#10 RainDreamer, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  10. antibinary

Binarism or discrimination against non-binary/intersex people is real. You are never nnot trans* enough.

11. CyanChachki

Yes, yes!! Thank you. This here, is exactly it. People just need to stop doing it. I have met many transgender males and females who cannot get the surgery or where advised not to for health reasons. Not having the surgery does not make you any less of a male or female and it definitely doesn't make you any less of a human being.

Being told that if you don't do X, Y and Z is like telling a woman that if she doesn't wear a dress, stay at home and clean and tend to her husbands needs then she's not a woman or a man is not a man if they don't grow a beard, work hard for their family and wear a suit... Like really, how would anyone feel if someone walked up to them and said, "You need to do this, this and this or I can't identify you as a ___" - that would bring the self esteem crashing down. Just don't do it with anyone. No one has to fit in to certain categories to be identified and accepted.

12. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I have the opposite problem.

I'm manly and I'll get top surgery soon.

One day, a transguy says to me:
    - "You cannot hate your breast and still be cisgender. You're a transguy like me but you don't want to admit it".

:dry:

My mother, on the contrary, says to me:
    - "But if you define youself as cisgender, why do you want to have top surgery?".

:bang:

I hate all these mental constructions.
    I hate the conception of "not trans* enough", "if you're manly then you're trans*" or "if you're a woman then you must love your feminine breast".

Go to hell everybody who think this way!

13. gaykuya

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Na. If you're trans your trans and I believe that you don't need a big thing or way to say your trans. If you identify as trans than that's it. You can't be less or more trans by your actions, ways of living, dressing, speech, or whatever else.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, there's simply "trans" and "not trans at all".
    As long as you have gender dysphoria, you are trans. Doesn't matter how you present yourself or how you decide to go about getting rid of that dysphoria. If you don't have it, then you are cisgender.
    If you simply don't like gender roles, you are non-conforming.