1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mythology homework help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vampireboy56, Nov 10, 2008.

1. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I need to have 15 references in media to the 12 Olympians
    Zeus, Hephesteaus, Hades, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Hermes, Ares, Hera, Hestia, Apollo, Athena, and I forgot the other one

Here is what I have so far

1. Hephesteaus- Xandau "I'm Alive" They reference Hephesteaus because the main characters are Greek muses and Hephesteaus is a Greek god.

2. Neptune- Spongebob SquarePants- Neptune is another name for the god Poseidon, he is referenced in Spongebob because the show takes place under water and Poseidon is the God of the Sea

3. Poseidon- The DaVinci Code- Poseidon is mentioned because the main character is a college professor who is discussing symbols in a lecture, and an image of a trident appears and he explains that it's Poseidon's trident.

4. Pallas Athena- The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe- On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door" Pallas Athena is referenced because Athena is the goddess of wisdom and the poem is set in a library, also the bust looks like Athena

Ok...I need help....can someone help me this of some more references?

2. Jeimuzu

There's that film Juno, and Juno is the Roman Hera. That any good? Mind you, I guess it doesn't reference her beyond the name.

There's the game Age of Mythology, too. You might be able to reference that.

Also, this wiki states that Athena is known as Cydonia somewhere. And that might be related to the song Knights of Cydonia? Worth thinking about...

#2 Jeimuzu, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. pirateninja

Hermes - Harry Potter - In Harry Potter an owl is called Hermes. Hermes was the Roman messenger god who had winged sandals.

Zeus - South Park "Imaginationland" - Zeus is the king of the gods who can shoot thunderbolts, and in South Park, he was one of the Council of 9 "the most powerful imaginary characters" of Imaginationland.

4. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thank you

7/15

5. Amy

Amy

Aphrodite ~ Sandro Botichelli's "The Birth of Venus"; Venus is the Roman version of Aphrodite; Venus is shown at pure beauty in a shell (the sea and it's inhabitants are often used to depict both Venus and Aphrodite, as they are basically the same godess)

Aphrodite ~ "Gimmie, Gimmie", Thurolghy Modern Millie; This is basically a song asking for love, as Aphrodite is the godess of love; "Aphrodite don't forget me"

*is a nerd*

I'll think some more. :slight_smile:

6. Jeimuzu

Maybe the naming of the Apollo program counts? Also, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV - Coheed and Cambria.

There's a band called Hades Almighty. And one of Wonder Woman's enemies is called Hades, too.

Hestia Jones is a character in Harry Potter. Hestia is also a novel in itself.

Ares is a song by Bloc Party on Intimacy.

#6 Jeimuzu, Nov 10, 2008
  7. Aphrodite is also a character in the House of Night novels. Clicky.

8. InaRut

I think you might want to try a better reference for Hephesteaus. I think there is a level in Bioshock that is called Hephesteaus because it takes place in a forge like eviroment.
    Harry Potter: Hades: This might be a stretch but the symbol for Hades is the the invisibility Cap. Kinda like Harry Potter's invisibility Cloak.

Ares is in the video game god of war. As the god of war.

ANYWAYS this could be of MAJOR help to you.
    I don't generally watch Cartoons but I remember commericals for this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_Of_The_Titans
    This might not work because your teacher might mean symbolic symbols.

Whatelse?
    Hmm
    Your missing Bachus/Dionysus.

I think I read somewhere that the drunk in Little Prince is suppose to represent Dionysus. But because we haven't studied his Hymn yet in Lecture I couldn't tell you any parralels between Dionysus and the drunk.

However from what I know of dionysus any character who dies only to come back as immortal could be a symbolism of Dionysus (or Jesus >_>)

Or you could just talk about the statue at Qingdao Beer Museum

[​IMG]

And Juno does talk a little bit about the greek orgins of her name in the movie.

#8 InaRut, Nov 10, 2008
  9. davo-man

Are you allowed to use Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, ith Kevin Sorbo? I'm sure there's plenty of relevant mythological references there :wink:

Or perhaps Hercules in New York, Arnold Schwarzenegger's first Hollywood film :grin:

10. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No. We can only use the 12 main gods

11. They mention a fountain of Aphrodite or something in Mamma Mia, don't they?

12. Astaroth

Zeus - There is a web server given the nickname 'Zeus' that has a website.
    Poseidon - The movie "The Poseidon Adventure" was about a ship that gets overturned.
    Aphrodite - There's a musical artist that has taken on the psuedonym 'Aphrodite'. There's also the catch phrase 'Might might Aphrodite' that was rampant in the past.
    Hera - The HERA Foundation raises money for women's cancer causes.
    Apollo - The space missions dubbed the Apollo missions would be good here.
    Athena - There is a real estate firm known as the Athena Group. They have a website. Also, in Roman culture, Athena was known as Minerva. Wonder Woman's catchphrase was 'Merciful Minerva!'

REMAINING:
    Hephesteaus, Hades, Hermes, Ares, Hestia

13. Amy

Amy

^ Exactly what I was thinking. ^

Donna's hotel is also the site of what is supposedly Aphrodite's Fountain, a fountain that is supposed to bring true love. Mamma Mia is based off of the music of ABBA and takes place on a Greecian island.

14. jazzrawr

Just relate EVERYTHING to Xena. XD
    It's what I do XD

15. Bryan90

The show Valentine, has Greek gods disguised as Normal Humans... Aphrodite, Ares and Hephesteaus are in it.

16. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hermes: The FTD flower delivery service has a logo that is hermes carrying flowers. This is supposed to represent speedy and accurate deliveries.

17. Kryz

Zeus: In final Fantasy movie, Zeus was the name of the big gun who launched energy rays to some meteorite
    Poseidon: Like Poseidon the huge ship?
    Aphrodite: In Charmed, Pheobe became Aprodite. I can't remember what Piper & Paige became.

Maybe you should stick with the Greek versions and not the Roman variants. Since they're not exactly the same; it's not like they just changed they're names

18. digsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about the Disney movie Hercules? Hades, Zeus, Hera and Hermes all feature in it.

19. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Apollo, Zeus, Aphrodite, i think thats it... from Battlstar Galactica the TV-Show

20. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From memory, I think Athena features rather heavily in The Oddysey (aka The Illyad [sp?]) by Homer. There might also be some others mentioned too, but I can't remember (it's been a very long time since I last had anything to do with The Oddysey).