1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to LA?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bella B, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Bella B

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YESSS!!
    My family and I hate the cold miserable weather in Boston, and we have finally decided to move to LA, in California!!!
    Any tips on life in California, specifically Los Angeles?
    I'm only out to a couple of friends, because even my school is very open and accepting, most people I know that don't go to my school go to private catholic schools, which are VERY conservative. How is the homophobia in LA? we are probably moving to a small town right near Los Angeles, since schools are atrocious in the city. are there any good towns very close to LA, that have great schools and are not very conservative where I could come out?

THANKS!!!! so excited for not having to look like this every time I go outside!!
    (&&&)(*hug*):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :eusa_danc

Attached Files:

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's unbearably expensive and overcrowded and pretentious. I'm originally from Southern California and am happy to not live there anymore

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in Boston and am intrigued by the possibility of moving to San Diego. Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The grass is always greener.... Having lived near Phoenix (when I was younger) or Orange County my entire life, I kind of want to move somewhere that actually has seasons...

I don't go to LA much since I don't leave the house much in general, so I can't help you much.... It should be pretty accepting though... most big cities are. I mean... West Hollywood.... but, you're not moving to the actual city so idk. It may vary. Don't move to Compton! :slight_smile:

5. ok455

Check out City-data they will be able to help you

I am slowly working on my plan to move to Florida

6. Stripe101

You are so lucky. There's no sleazier place I'd rather be. The very heart of American materialism and Hollywood glamour. I love the artificiality of it all.

But I guess most people aren't into that...

7. Live in the suburbs of LA county like Alhambra, San Gabriel, Montebello, Rosemead Temple City. Look around in the San Gabriel Valley area in general. The youth here are very accepting towards LGBT so no worries, however the adults aren't. The adults are traditional-minded Chinese people, or devout Hispanic Catholics.

Yeah, I also do not recommend living in the city of LA. It's very expensive and crime runs rampant in Hollywood (even West and North Hollywood), Chinatown, and K-Town. Just live in the eastern suburbs and your parents can commute to work in LA via the I-10 or I-5 freeway.

If you want to live in a place with excellent schools, keep in mind that the houses are more expensive as well and your parents need to be either businessowners, bankers, medical workers, or engineers to live there. San Marino, Temple City, and Arcadia are pretty nice and the people there are quite accepting as well. The cities are quite similar to the neighborhoods I mentioned in the first paragraphs in terms of ethnic demographics, however the adults in these neighborhoods are generally more educated and often the descendants of Asian and Hispanic immigrants, so they are more open-minded.

Overall, I would hit the San Gabriel Valley. I live here, so I do know most of these cities well.

8. Psaurus918

Jealous. LA and California is on my short list of places I want to move to. I'm sure most people there are very accepting.

9. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LA looks like my type of city. One of the few places I'd consider living in should I ever move to the US. Good food, excellent weather, fit people who dress nicely, and predominantly left-leaning - what's not to love?

#9 imnotreallysure, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  10. Formality

I'd love to go to California some time in my life, perhaps San Francisco, but I could never live there. There's no snow for gods sake! I could never live where there wasn't distinguishable seasons winter, spring, summer, fall. Summer all year round would get incredibly tiresome. Also the crime rates, the pretentiousness, the shallowness. I don't know if I'd get very well along with people there. It would be interesting to try it out however. If none else it could be a really fun trip. And my god! The downhill biking you could do there, gaaaaah!