1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Believe Love and Sexual Attraction are Dependent on Each Other?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Notlad, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Notlad

Today I was thinking and I remembered over the years I've heard both of my older siblings say that "It can never work out if you don't find them sexually attractive because that's where it all has to start."

I have no doubt that if there is no sexual attraction it could make some relationships more difficult, but I have heard some friends say that they initially never thought of their boyfriend/girlfriend as sexually attractive until they started dating, which obviously conflicts with what I've heard before.

What are your thoughts?

2. Hizaki

In my inexperienced mind, I feel like 99% of people need some sort of sexual firestarter for every relationship (however small the firestarter is).

But then I guess that it isn't necessary for that 1% (<1%?). It's all circumstance, I believe

3. DinelodiiGitli

No, at least not always.
    Otherwise there wouldn't be any asexual in relationships.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they feed off of each other but aren't the same thing. When I first started dating my bf there were times when I felt the pull of sexual attraction much stronger than romantic attraction, and other times the opposite.

5. WallWeed

As a "demisexual," if I dare to even use the term, I've found that sexual attraction has ALWAYS been preceded by emotional attraction/connection for me. Physical desires sparked anywhere from a month to two years after getting to know them.

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    My experience is limited, but in my case I find that my ability to feel attraction is very dependent on personality. I could meet someone who is drop-dead gorgeous and feel attracted to them, but if they open their mouth and say something abhorrent that makes me think I really don't like them as a person I find my interest in their physical appearance disappears rapidly. Likewise I could meet someone who I initially wouldn't even pay any attention to appearance-wise, but then I get to know them a bit, their personality begins to shine through, and their physical features start to become attractive 'by association'.

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  8. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What? You can't love someone without being sexually attracted to them? I'm calling bullshit on that one.

9. C P

C P

So, by that logic, I'm damn near incapable of love?

No wonder I've always thought relationships were a waste of time! Thanks for the 411, as this further confirms my thought that there are people who there is nobody for.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. Your siblings sound like they're just trying to put their own experiences on the whole population. Doesn't mean what they experience is "lesser", but they can't just assume everyone is the same way.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to fuck my mom because I love her.

(Not really, but I'm trying to illustrate a point about this thread.)

Also, this is likely to be really hurtful to asexuals.

~ Adrienne

12. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I think romantic love and sexual attraction are often linked, but not nessesarily.

In my case, I must be attracted to someone to be in a relationship.

13. Notlad

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I don't even have a view point on this topic because of my lack of experience.

Don't think I'm saying that anyone is incapable of love.

14. blackhatguy

I can tell from across the room if I'm sexually attracted to a person. But love? That takes time. But given time, I think you can also become sexually attracted to someone you love. I think I have

15. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know

16. Lyana

I believe a relationship can work out and people can fall in love even if they don't have a strong sexual attraction to each other. I tend to be emotionally and intellectually attracted first, though it depends on the person. I was never sexually attracted to my ex, but that has nothing to do with how the relationship ended.

17. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    love is way more important in a relationship the attraction helps but you can work on it .

18. DoubleSoul

DoubleSoul Guest

I need a spiritual connession before having sex with a woman.

19. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, I mean both are very individualistic things, you'll have people who won't have sex with someone they don't love and then you have people who think sex is just sex and love has nothing to do with it, not to mention people who don't really have an interest in sex but do want love... and of course the people who want no love just sex~ Personally? Eh, I'm on the fence.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As i learned from many years of dating men in the past it doesn't work, if I'm not sexually attracted to them . Getting to know them better would not make me magically attracted to them .
    Also worse is when you get to the sex part ,and you cannot get turned on to sleep with them for the life you .
    When I'm with a woman and I don't feel sexual attraction I cross them out of my dating pool, because it reminds me so much of when I tried to be attracted to men in the past which was a very painful process for me and I do not want to waste the woman's time making her think I feel something I actually don't feel and I also don't want to be reminded of that time when I tried to like men because I always felt broken back then like something was wrong with me .:icon_sad: