1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you cry over a family member or friend disowning you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Driftr

And do you think it's wrong or awkward not to feel sad if you were disowned by a family member or a friend?

I honestly don't know how to feel. A part of me feels awkward that I think that I wouldn't be sad, but another part of me thinks that it's pointless to waste tears on ignorant people, no matter how deep your relationship with them is or has been. I feel like true, I may have a lot of great memories with that individual but life is all about change and sometimes not everything can last and go the way you want it to.

What do you think?

2. Burnedcloset

I think that I wouldn't cry....but, when it does happen I really want to see what my emotions are like. Maybe I'll just be mad.....or extremely sad. We will see!

3. AsheTheHuman

Unfortunately, I am anticipating certain parts of my extended family essentially doing that by the year's end. I don't know how it will feel. I'll probably cry, but I'll be mad too. It's... It's not an easy situation.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No... Unless it leaves me homeless, that's something to be devastated about. Though I still won't cry

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If it's my dad, possibly...The only reason why he would disown me, is if he found out that I'm Gay...My mom and I are close, and she knows I'm Gay...So, she'd never disown me...I'm not very close to my older brother, and the rest of my family, so they don't matter to me...

6. QueerQueen

If it is my immediate family or the relatives I am closest to than probably. Anyone else nope. Then again my immediate family already knows so I doubt it will happen.

7. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My immediate family? Yes, they've been an important part of my life my entire life... My extended family though? Don't make me laugh, there's very few members of my extended family I even like, and none of them are my parents siblings... My cousins are all pretty awesome though, I can live without them but I'd miss them... (Not that I see them that often..)

8. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Depends on my relationship with the person. Like if it was my mom, my sister or brother than yes- it would hurt quite a lot (thankfully the family members listed and the chosen friends all accept and support me so no worries)

In the case of anyone else besides them? Frankly, my dear OP, I wouldn't give a damn.

9. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Knowing me , I'd probably be in denial and internalise anything I was feeling. It wouldn't be until how many whatevers later, when i'd finally accept it. This is the only way I really know how to cope.

10. BisexualCap

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me I guess I wouldn't really care. If my mom disowned me then yeah I would be really hurt, but aside from that I'm not gonna cry. I agree with the whole- why waste tears on ignorant people- deal. I mean if the relationship was deep then maybe it should feel a little odd you don't feel a little bad but everyone gots their own ways of dealing with stuff. And your're right about life changing. You shouldn't stick around an ignorant or hateful person because of sentiment.

11. Randomcloud

It depends who they are. I've had a lot of good friendships suddenly end and it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. But I can't imagine not crying if a family member or my best friend did that...it would be so unexpected and I am close to them

12. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would be destroyed! I mean, I was really hurt when my relatives told me that I am a shame to our family name when they I knew I am gay. What more else if my parents disown me.

13. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the family member. Mom, yes. Dad, no.

14. Justinian20

I would be an emotional wreck, I would cry my eyes out if my mother disowned me. I mean dad I care less about, he could disown me and I wouldn't care because he seems to think I've got to be uber masculine(be all about hardware, cars, doing the heavy lifting).

15. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    More than anything I would get angry and would probably want to get some sort of revenge.

16. AlexTheGrey

It'd be harder to say I wouldn't. There would be other emotions in there as well, but there would definitely be the rejection too. I don't trust easily, but I do tend to trust deeply. It'd really hurt if that was thrown away by the other person simply because of how I see myself and want them to see me.

17. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they did disown me I, like my mum. Then she really isn't family after all. Tears are important, don't waste them on people who don't love you.

18. Driftr

It's interesting to hear the various responses. And for anyone who thinks that they might get disowned, please stay strong and I wish you the best of luck. (*hug*)

I just feel a bit guilty that I probably wouldn't feel sad at all if I was disowned. I know how homophobes are and to get away from their negative and discriminatory energy is just so relieving. I feel like I would be way more relieved than sad if I was disowned by my entire family. There is literally no one that I would cry about. True I have lots of good memories with them but if they're homophobic and ignorant, then there is just no point in me wasting tears on them.

But that's not saying that I'm not an emotional person. I am an emotional person. I guess I express sadness differently.

19. tscott

None of my family has disowned me. My oldest friend who I had known since junior high was vitriolic in response to my coming out. She told me that I was deceived by Satan and blah, blah, blah. I also know that she would have nothing to do with me in the future. This was done in an e-mail. I never finished the letter nor did I look back. I was saddened , but knew there was nothing for it. It was sad that her God was so small as to be so judgmental and unaccepting of His own creation. I felt she was the one deceived. She's been the only one who has rejected me. Not much of a friend, eh.

20. CrazyAwkward

No one disowned me, but if someone in my immediate family had done that, yeah, I probably would have cried a little.