1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is college like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbows~Exist, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Rainbows~Exist

The titles quite self-explanatory but nonetheless... how do you find/did find college? Was it fun? Not? Better than school? Not better? e.t.c.... I'm asking this because I'm leaving school in thirty or so days and can't wait for college! But anyway... what's it like?

2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Freedom. Learn. Hang with who you want to hang with.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considerably better than high school in almost every conceivable way. It's less formal, and teachers treat you less like children and more like adults. Plus, people who are at college want to be there, so you're less likely to encounter trouble makers who disrupt lessons, because they are not obliged to have them there.

You can go anywhere you want for dinner, and you don't have to wear uniforms. Woohoo.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with most of this. Teachers treat you more like adults. They don't baby you (which can be both good and bad I guess -- you have to figure out how to study on your own sometimes). There is less troublemakers... I went to a community college and now I am at a 4 year college. The disruptive people have become less and less as I've gone further in school. Less assholes. It's nice.

Although, I'd say, depending on your major and if you wish to advance past your bachelor, college is much more work than high school (need to keep grades up, especially if you wish to move on.

5. Lyana

For me, it was:
    - A lot of work last year.
    - Amazing new friends
    - An almost complete disappearance of bullies, idiots, and very annoying people. I love love love the atmosphere and people here
    - Freedom, independence. You're working for you, not your teachers. If you don't work that's your problem. And living far from home, that's a cool experience, too.
    - Cool parties.
    - Definitely much, much better than high school.

6. GaspingJasper

Out Status:
    A few people
    What Lyana said >

7. Yosia

Stressful
    Boring
    Too much work
    Tutors were no help whatsoever, aside from one.

Basically it was that bad I left and went to a new form of education.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not as hard as it's made out to be, but it's not a cakewalk either. That's the best way I know how to put it.

9. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dropped out for health reason, but well let's give my share haha

It really is another world, nobody really gives a damn about you except for the people you hang out with. You can just be you without having to care about social standards and all. Teachers there love their job and show it by making their classes interesting.

Except for the people who are here because they want subvention (Public Colleges are free where I live, and you can get subventions depending on how much your parents earn) everybody's here to learn and that makes classes easier and funnier to attend.

Despite coming from a vocational high school (should have just gone for a regular one, I messed up my own chances to get into a great school) and having classes that require a good level for a "normal" high school graduate, it was pretty easy to follow.

I deeply regret not being able to go, my only wish is to go back next year.

10. Gallatin

Like basically anything, it is what you make of it. You'll have practically countless opportunities wherever you turn, whether it be field of study, clubs and involvement, etc. Study hard, have fun, and keep in mind that there are often as many valuable lessons to be learned outside the classroom as there are in.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You go to college at 16 in England?

12. aindrias

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't dread going to college like I dreaded going to school, but I find it kind of boring. I don't make friends easily (or at all) so I'm on my own and a bit bored all the time and I end up drinking in my room in the afternoon.

13. BootyQueen

BootyQueen Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm like 99% sure that college is tears and broken dreams. I'm still going anyway because life goals.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True, especially as far as personal freedom goes. It's a jump from being a teenager to being an adult. I noticed that a lot of people who I would have considered distractions or would have pulled you down in high school are not there. However, people who create other kinds of distractions or can get you down in other ways can be found in college. There's another set of standards and another caste system.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2015 at 06:57 PM ----------

Exactly. Looking back, it wasn't that hard if a person paced themselves and did the work. In fact, if they were good at this, then they should have done well. But it's definitely not a cakewalk. Getting all this freedom to choose what you want and all this time on your hands you have to decide how to organize is tougher than it seems. Then, it also depends on the major. That makes for a huge difference.

College is mostly about making the right choices in a school - size, location, campus culture, major, level of competition or cooperation, stuff like that.

15. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    College is fun! You certainly get a lot more freedom than you so at school. It's definitely a lot more hard work that school but so much more fun at the same time. Our college held recreational activities every Wednesday afternoon where we would choose what we wanted to do form a wide range of options. One option was "driver training" where they let us take a car for a drive around the car park with an experienced instructor (providing we were 17). You'll love it I'm sure!