1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a bicycle

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Mar 13, 2015.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd been looking for a bike for a couple months. I was looking at a Schwinn Admiral the usually retailed for $160 and had been saving the money. Wednesday night I happened to be in WalMart and found one on clearance for $100. I had that much cash saved already so it came home with me. After sitting on the thing in the store I knew I would have to replace the seat and handlebars with something I actually find comfortable.

After getting it home I was right the seat and bars suck. Also since I'm 34 and haven't sat on a bike since I got my drivers license I find that with the bike only having 7 speeds I need a lower granny gear. Oh well just paid $24 for a new handlebar from the bike shop will pay them 30 for a new cassette with a super granny gear and installation, order a good set of tires for $30 (will do the labor myself), then go to WalMart and get a different seat for another $25. So basically I'm going to have a bike that is comfortable to ride and reliable (may be a WalMart bike but steel frames are solid) for $210. Forget reliable I would have spent that making it comfortable if purchased at full price.

Now that I have it I have been forcing myself to ride it with no excuses. Yesterday work absolutely wore me out, but I jumped on the bike anyway. Today it's raining but I rode it to the bike shop to buy some new bars. No excuses I'm going to ride this thing and I'm going to get in shape!

This is a stock picture of the bike. I'll post a pic of my actual bike after I get it finished.

Anybody else ride? Show us your ride.

Attached Files:

#1 redneck, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. CyclingFan

Nice! That looks like a nice deal, and I could use an around town bike. It's very flat where I'd ride it, so I've even looked at some single speeds.

I'd love to have something I could use for errands too. Did it come with that rack on the back?

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I haven't rode a bike in years. But when I did, I had a Huffy, black and lime green, with some silver laced into it. Of course, this was replaced by my step-father's four-wheeler.

4. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes came exactly as pictured except the bell was missing from mine. It has 7 speeds. I thought it was a nice compromise between style and function. Just that at 280 lbs I need a bit more of a granny gear. The hill that I have to climb beside my house isn't long but it is steep. It gains 150-175 feet in all of two blocks (about 1/8 mile)

#4 redneck, Mar 13, 2015
  5. CyclingFan

Sounds like a sweet ride. I'd love to have my old high handle bar banana seat bike now.

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
  7. timo

I ride one of these babies, with an empty beer case on the front.

8. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SWEET I love bikes like that. I almost got one similar, but I doubt i would want to ride it seven miles one way to work (assuming i get in shape to do so)

9. Joelouis

I've just started repairing my bike. The front shocks have rusted as I kept leaving it outside in the rain, and the front brake needs doing.
    The bike cost me £340 so I've been stupid to neglect it.

10. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sweet. That looks like what Americans call a beach cruiser. But why the two tubes up top? And why not a full beer case? I hope you don't drink and ride. Or you're forgiven if that's on the way to recycle. Lol.

#10 Ruprect, Mar 13, 2015
  11. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate my windows phone!! It will not just let me post a pic and imigur doesn't want to work right today. So I cannot post a pic today.
    Anyway, even if nobody else reads this I'm going to note this for my own sake.

The bike itself has undergone a few changes. It now has a black raised bar (similar to a dirt bike) , i mounted my accessory kit (lights, water bottle, and pump) , and got the rear shifter working properly.

Me: the first ride was about a mile and it almost killed me. Sunday was a beautiful day so I spent most of it riding the bike. Today after putting in 9 hours stacking boxes at work i made myself ride it afterwards. I just now got back and from a 5 mile ride that was intentionally made to be mostly up hill. Though I was a bit tired i probably could have went further.

Unfortunately though it sounds like the bearing in the bottom bracket (the pedal mount) is already failing . I started to feel a small click in the pedal about half way through my ride and by the time I got home it sounded like the bike was trying to shift gears (single speed up front). Guess I get to call the bike shop in a couple hours.

12. LiquidSwords

I often cycle back from town after drinking :/ Dangerous for me I guess but if I stick to quietish roads it saves me taxi fare ..

I cycle my bike anywhere I can and I really enjoy it. If I drive anywhere that it's possible for me to cycle I feel guilty