1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you know they'll probably never come around..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Driftr

Does anyone else ever get that feeling?

My mom is like a super religious nut. She goes to church every Saturday (yes Saturdays because that is the correct day to go to church according to the bible apparently). She thinks the world is about to end soon and gay people are just one sign that points to the end times. She believes in the whole Illuminati crap because they talked about it in church so she probably believes in the gay agenda too.

I remember I recently has to stop her when she was going on and on about how gays are an abomination. I'm not out yet, but I sort of pretended to be an ally. I told her as calmly and in non-defensive tone that it was ridiculous to assume that being gay was a choice because of all of the crap that they go through (I mean who chooses to be gay in Uganda, let alone in general?) and science has, over and over again, shot down this myth. But NOO...she had to find a way out saying that ..."Oh well science also says that evolution is true. So you're going to believe that too," and she found another way to twist it saying "Being gay could be an addiction. Nobody chooses what they're going to be addicted to."

I had so much more good points to add but I just thought I would be further outing myself as atheist and coming across as defensive to the point where she would inevitably figure out I'm gay (she even paused and started asking me if I was which I denied), so I wrapped it up and made her win the argument thinking that I was misguided.

To this day, she still openly talks negatively about gays. I really tried to educate her that day without outing myself, so I didn't go on for too long. I'm not in the right financial situation to be out right now so I just said no I'm not gay and I was just researching about gays while researching in general.

Upon all of this, I thinks it's probably safe to assume that she will probably never come around. Does anyone ever get that feeling with their family or friends? How do you deal with this?

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I'm pretty sure my dad and my grandparents will never come around. As for my grandparents, I don't care. As for my dad, I'm concerned... He says very homophobic stuff, like "if gay people get married, soon people who commit bestiality will marry their animals" etc etc. When he's in "civilized" mode, he'll start saying how "not having a good father figure" at home makes you a lesbian etc. I want to tell him about me being bisexual, some days I've thrown hints, but I'm afraid he won't believe me, he'll be mad at me and very self-conscious about his job as a father. I think I won't tell him, unless I have a serious relationship with a woman.

3. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this about my mom but I still have a little bit of hope because she is not religious.

4. Joelouis

I'm afraid to say that some people are just too stuck in their own ways to even remotely see things from a different viewpoint than their own.
    I'm a staunch believer in evolution and natural science. I believe in no God or creator.
    I believe death is final, and that there's no reunions of lost loved ones when we die. No religion interests me.

So, taking in what I've just said, actually makes me just as stubborn as those I sneer at!