1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it okay to be proud of being white?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TENNYSON, Mar 14, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend and I got into a debate about this today, so I thought I'd ask EC.

I think it's okay as long it's okay to be proud of being any other other race, because to me they're all equal. It doesn't matter if race is a social construct either, because who says you can't be proud of a social construct?

I don't think I relate to people who are really proud of it, though, because I'm more proud of my ethnic heritage (like being Romanian and Spanish and French and the big mix of European that I am) rather than my white skin tone. But I don't think there's anything wrong with people who are as long as it's not about racial superiority.

What do you think?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're proud of your heritage (not race) and allow others to also be proud of their heritage, I don't see the problem with that in theory.

In PRACTICE, however, "white pride" always seems to be racist, especially since many people will say they are "proud to be white" during Black History Month. This article sums it up perfectly.

5 reasons why 'white pride' is always racist

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

If you for example like it more in a look kind of way sure why not?
    as long as you don't use your pride to make other people less worthy than you you can be proud of anything i guess...

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya I guess. I think everyone should be proud to be there race. I mean skin is just a color it doesn't say anything about anyone.

#4 Andrew99, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well if they arent racist about it i dont mind them but whats so new about being white or black or whatever your skin tone is its just a skin color it doesnt matter and if you like yourself that way you dont have to shove it into everybody because its not that big of a deal anyway ^_^
    though i dont see anyone saying they are proud of being white as of yet ! cause white people never got bullied for their skin tone or punished or used as slaves or what so ever not in all the history they were always the normal people
    its just like being proud to be straight
    or proud to be blonde
    one day LGBT people will be like any normal people and i think there wont be anything as proud to be gay\trans as it will be so much accepted people wont notice who is gay\trans who is not just like people got over who is black who is Latin or who is white

6. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I get the idea that white pride is almost always brought up as a way to counter black pride--if it's truly about pride though it wouldn't be just a petty "we need white pride too!", it would be an actual feeling of pride in who you are and it wouldn't only be brought up during Black History Month or something.

A lot of white people feel like they're not "allowed" to feel pride in who they are and I say this from polling on another site that I visit and it was like almost 80% of the white people who responded said they felt like they were not "allowed" to be proud and they also said it was mostly white people themselves who prohibit them from it.

7. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Bringing up another point (you're probably gonna hate me for)

racism isn't only a white thing there are also black people who are racistic.

you should be proud of whoever you are.The point some people don't see is the difference of being proud of yourself and using that pride as an excuse to declare another persons pride invalid.

8. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if im going to agree about white pride
    next thing we are going to see is straight pride now here 90% of you wont agree cause you are gay

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true.

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2015 at 02:45 PM ----------

They do have straight pride their flag is black, brown, grey and white.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of being straight either. If you can be proud of being gay, you can be proud of being straight too.

But if you're going to argue that there should be a straight pride movement because straight people are oppressed, then I'm going to start to disagree.

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I read a book about two girls being friends and one of them was lesbian and the other said:"I know that i'm straight now, normally people don't see that they just assume that everyone is like them."

i'd count that as straight pride.She realised that not everyone is straight which in the end brought her to the realization that she is.

12. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    since when is it a thing to be proud of being straight to me its seems offending cause i feel like someone is telling me HEY BUDDY YEAH IM STRAIGHT EVERYBODY LOVES ME IM ALWAYS ACCEPTED IM LIVING THE DREAM THAT MY PARENTS WANT ME TO LIVE IM ALLOWED TO MARRY ANYONE I WANT WHEREVER I GO I CAN EVER DONATE BLOOD AND YOU CANT HAHAHHA
    now replace gay and straight with black and white same thing isnt it :dry:

---------- Post added 14th Mar 2015 at 01:50 PM ----------

im not saying not to love themselves though
    im talking about saying it out loud STRAIGHT WHITE AND PROUD ! cause that is offending even if he didnt mean it that way

13. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I honestly thing that being proud of something you didn't do anything for is dumb. I mean, I didn't chose to be born the way I am, why would I feel any pride in it ? I see this kind of pride as a mere way to divide people even more.

If you worked pretty hard in order to learn something, yeah, you can be proud of you. But being proud of being born is nonsense.

14. randomly me

randomly me Guest

i guess it's less being "proud" and more "not being ashamed for it"

the opposide of ashamed is proud =/

15. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It works the same way in this case, why would you be ashamed of being born ? If you did something shameful you deserve to be ashamed. But being ashamed of being born is nonsense.

16. randomly me

randomly me Guest

yeah but if people tell you you are worth less than the others for being gay or black some people start feeling ashamed for putting it easy "their existense" or being themselves..

17. JerryX

JerryX Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes of course, why should not be ?

18. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I perfectly see what you mean, but it would still be nonsense, even if there are people trying to bring you down, you have to know inside that you were born this way.
    I mean, I'm bi-racial Arab and White, I don't know why I should feel anything about this. It's funny sometimes cause I don't look like people in my family, but nothing more.

Yeah, "Those white people are dangerous" would sum World History up quite easily, but damn, why would I feel ashamed of what my ancestors did ? I don't even know them.

Your father may be the worse human on Earth, you still are yourself and a different person.

19. randomly me

randomly me Guest

because some people may see you as your father no matter if you are him or not.
    some people also feel responsible and think they have to right things they havn't done themselves.
    *shrugs*Humanity is fucked up like that.

20. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    But that's what people think, as long as you know who you are, you don't have to care.
    If we were to follow this logic, being German would be the worst sin ever. Know that you are just who you are and that your ancestor have nothing to do with who you are.