1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiotic views on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Janvier, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Janvier

Ok, so I was explaining prop 8 to a co-worker and she said she doesn't see why we should marry and what benefits would come of it.
    I asked her if she thought voting yes was a terrible thing and all she could say was:
    her: "I don't care it's not my problem, you made your choice now deal with it. Marriage isn't a big deal anyway, we won't change the definition of marriage just to suit 2 men"
    me:"Love concerns all humans, not just gays or just straights, everyone should be able to marry"
    "Don't be stupid, it doesn't concern everyone, deal with your problems, I'll deal with mine and that'll be just fine"
    "So you don't thing giving a hand to someone who's little different than you is important?"
    "Nobody helps me, why should I help"
    "Would you like someone to help you?"
    "Yes"
    "See..."
    "Well, there's more important things to vote for right now than marriage"
    "Exactly, that's why I'm angry about prop 8, and you, I can't believe you're saying such things"
    "I have a right to free speech"
    "Yeah, I bet you love that right, I'd like to have the right to marry the man I love too."

Anyway, this is just a rant, I'm pretty pissed off, I often get into mini-arguments with her 1st of all cos she's pretty dumd for a human and 2nd she makes some pretty hurtful comments about gays, like we're some kind of sub-humans.
    If someone does something bad and they happen to be gay it automatically makes things worse. Of all the people I know she's the least tolerant, she's accepting but she resents gays for some reason. Her life is pretty shitty but with an attitude like that, she kinda gets what she deserves. I've been so nice to her, always trying to help her and stuff and now she's like "It's your problem, not mine, I don't care"
    :bang:

2. HighintheClouds

Psh... I wouldn't even bother with her... Is it really a must for you to interact with her?

3. Janvier

Yeah, there's two main parts of the building, the offices and the warehouse, I work in the warehouse with her, everybody else is in the offices.
    I like her, she nice, we usually get along really well but we both have opposing views when it comes to homosexuality.

4. HighintheClouds

Hmm well I suppose I've yet to meet anyone like that in real life..

Wonder how I'll react once I do though....

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Should have ended right there.

6. Janvier

Yeah, we had a whole other argument about that a few months ago, even a good friend of mine doesn't understand that I didn't choose to be gay.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Janvier, you did great with this person! I never would suggest just walking away. Passive behavior toward homophobic comments gets us no where. You need to be assertive! Now there is a difference between assertive and aggressive. Assertive is where you can react while being respectful but making your points clear and firm. It does not involve yelling, screaming, swearing, or getting in the persons' face. That was an awesome response!