1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Mar 15, 2015.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you like it? Do you hate it? What do you think of people that do it?

I usually smoke on the weekends and I can easily stop, but I like to smoke socially.
    I don't like people who do it constantly, because it really ruins your health.

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't care if people do it. It's their choice to ruin their bodies. Plus it's quite common to smoke socially in Japan, especially among men. So if I had a serious problem with it it would be bad for the future.

But I'd never do it. And wouldn't date anyone who does, because it smells strong.

3. KayJay

I love the smell of cigarette smoke. I also like the smell that clings to smokers. I have no idea why this is. Maybe it was because my mom and dad smoke(d), my brother does, my best friend did as well. So maybe the smell grew on me.

I used to wake up in the morning craving a cigarette even though I've never tried one before. I was getting scared I'd eventually try so I found an alternative. I smoke an e-cigarette, I don't think it was the best decision but it definitely was a better choice than cigarettes. Like I say to people who ask; I believe I've chosen the lesser of two evils.

I don't hate people at all who smoke, I don't think it is fair to dislike someone who smokes just because they smoke. I do understand when people dislike smokers who smoke in places they shouldn't, or people who breath smoke into others faces or general area.

4. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only when drunk!. Don't think its a good idea sober.

5. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't smoke, but I don't care if people do it...

6. AKTodd

People who smoke are deliberately and knowingly engaging in something that has been pretty clearly demonstrated to cause cancer and other bad things to happen to you. Furthermore, given that smoke inhalation is one of the leading causes of death in fires, I fail to see how doing the same thing deliberately and slowly is somehow desirable.

I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to smoke, but if someone does then don't come whining to me or expect any sympathy whatsoever if/when they develop cancer, emphysema, or the various other things that they were warned about for decades but apparently decided to ignore so they could alter their brains with chemicals.

It's one thing if someone is of an age or other circumstances such that they started smoking before knowing all the consequences. It is quite another when those consequences have been well known for decades and the person decides to ignore them and smoke anyway.

Todd

7. Hiems

It has been linked to so many health problems that I refuse to smoke. That's the main reason why I don't.

My dad was a smoker, and he somehow successfully quit cold turkey. However, that, along with exposure reduction and aversion therapy, aren't evidence based. They don't work.

As someone who will work in the clinical field, I have the duty to encourage those who have a social history of smoking to stop smoking. It's difficult to stop, but worthwhile if you do. There are alternatives that contain nicotine, sans carcinogens from cigarette smoke, to mitigate withdrawal symptoms while still getting the nicotine kick, e.g. nicotine gums, patches, lozenges, e-cigs. Docs can even prescribe certain PO medications for smoking cessation.

From a clinical standpoint, I don't have a judgmental attitude towards smokers. All I would do is stick to the facts, offer options to stop, and allow them to decide what to do.

From a dating standpoint, I would very unlikely date someone who smokes. I would be afraid of losing him to complications secondary to or exacerbated by smoking. Worrying about his safety seems so stressful, when it can simply be prevented through cessation. I also fear compromising my own health through secondhand smoke exposure.

8. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like smoking at all, it's a turn-off, and I really don't want people to do it around me. I hate the smell of tobacco smoke, it's one of my least favorite smells and I try to avoid breathing it in as much as I can. I don't "hate" smokers or anything, but I don't know if I could date one.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I will never smoke. I hate when people smoke around me and I hate the smell of cigarettes. It's disgusting and extremely unhealthy. If you want to smoke, then fine, but do it in an area that doesn't reach other people.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Smoking is an absolute turn off for me, especially since I grew up around smokers who just quit a year ago. I'd also be in favor of businesses and cities banning smoking in public places if they feel they want to.

11. Burnedcloset

I wouldn't. I think I have tryed it once while drunk (not sure). And if I'm drunk enough...I would probably try it again.

But sober....I am 110% against it. If somebody else does it I don't care...as long as they don't put there mouth/breath/lips/tongue anywhere near mine. It wouldn't be likely that my boyfriend is a smoker.

12. CrazyAwkward

I think it's gross and unhealthy. I don't think badly of people who smoke (although i sort of question their sanity) but I don't like to be around them while they're smoking or if they smell like cigarettes/cigars/whatever. My dad smokes, and the smell makes it hard to visit at his house for very long.

13. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is a gross and unhealthy habit. I would never date a smoker.

14. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like AKTodd said, people who smoke know that it's ruining their health, but to me that's no different than someone eating fast food. It's probably just as destructive to your health yet people will still eat fast food.

As much as I was intrigued on how smoking would feel like, I fear that I would get hooked onto it and thus have a difficult time quitting.

I imagine that people who do smoke know that it's bad for them but for many reasons cannot quit. With the addiction being one, it's a great but unhealthy way to relieve stress and calm yourself down.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Nicotine loves folks like you.

I'm an odd one when it comes to smoking cigarettes. I'll go months without one, then smoke a day or two, go weeks without one, smoke one, then back to the months without them. Sometimes, I'll carry a cigarette in my mouth, unlit, just to do it. I find it rather fascinating to take note of any "triggers" that would make me want to smoke, as it allows me to catch subconscious glimpses of myself.

That said, I'm glad to see a strong stand against cigarettes. However, many folks, especially the younger ones, who are growing up now, often don't realize how crippling an addiction to nicotine is. It's been said, quitting cigarettes is harder than most heavy drugs. I suspect part of this is due to them being legal, and easier to access. Anyway, there are some who have a hard time quitting smoking, just as some folks have a hard time controlling their eating, avoiding being passive-aggressive, or not sabotaging their self-esteem. It's a part of them, and changing something like that, requires a tremendous amount of patience, support, and strength.

I'd like to see alcohol gone*, too, but that won't happen (and it failed in America, which goes to show, just how strong it's pull is, here). It's become too ingrained, which is ironic really, because many drinkers seem to conveniently overlook why they drink, which often times is similar to the reasons a smoker smokes.

*I know responsible drinkers exist, but alcohol is just as damaging, in it's own way. I wouldn't turn somebody away who liked to drink, but I'd have to step in when the drinking becomes increasingly common. Sure, cigarette smoke smells, but I'd rather deal with that than a blithering drunk.

16. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    If you're an adult and can consent to sex, consent to cosmetic surgery, and join the military, then it only makes sense to me that you're old enough to decide what you put into your own body, regardless of the risks involved.

Personally I wouldn't smoke tobacco, possibly E-Cigs, but i'm just fine with it if you want to. I actually enjoy the smell, but choose not to smoke because I don't want to put tobacco products into my body.

17. Psaurus918

Hate it. I have a friend that smokes and every time I come home I shower and I can still smell it. I could never date someone that smokes

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like the smell of it. I smoked a cigarette once and it was ok.

19. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mother and stepfather smoke, and my dad used to use dip(but quit). It's despicable. I will always hate it. If people want to slowly kill themselves, that's their decision.

I would never be caught dating a guy who smokes.

20. Aro

Aro

Don't smoke, won't ever smoke, and I hate when people do it. I don't condemn them for it or anything, I just need to keep it away from me. I'm heavily allergic to the smoke and it sends me into asthmatic attacks very quickly. I've had it so bad I can't breathe or move, almost to the point of needing to go to the hospital. Which is a shame, because both my mother and grandmother smoke, and with their cravings, they can't do it around me. It makes things difficult for everyone.

If you're an adult and you want to, it's your choice. I just have no idea why anyone would ever want to start, given that you pretty much known what you're putting into your body. I tried a puff once when I was younger and couldn't get the taste out for days. It was disgusting. And enough for me to never want to try it again. Just remembering the taste makes me want to vomit, ugh.