1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who want to stay in the closet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lillyandryan, Mar 16, 2015.

1. lillyandryan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    What do you think about people who dont want to come out and what's your general opinion about coming out? Do you think you have to come out to everything and such?

2. C P

C P

They shouldn't be pressured to come out if they don't want to, feel it is useless, etc.

If anything, I agree with some about not coming out, personally. And I don't mean just letting others find out themselves but keeping to yourself in that regard; living life as a free agent, in a sense.

As has been shown just as many times as it can (really) help, coming out can also make matters (far) worse and, if someone feels that way and that they can cope with potential repercussions, they shouldn't feel as if they are being forced out.

3. Lyana

Are there people who really don't want to come out? Or are they just not ready yet (or in a situation where they can't)? I can't imagine actively wanting to stay hidden, unless I was afraid my parents would disown me or someone would beat me up or I'd end up in jail or something.

I think it's sad that coming out is a necessary step to being out. I don't think you "have to" do anything except whatever makes you comfortable and happy. You definitely don't have to come out to "everyone." But I haven't regretted telling a single person out of the... more than a dozen who know now, even though it wasn't always easy. So my general opinion about coming out is that it helps, but I wish we lived in a society where it wasn't necessary and people didn't assume heterosexuality or make a big deal out of coming out.

4. C P

C P

Well, you can count me there (varies, but ends up right back), but I likely don't have a favorable stance on this, so...

5. Quiet Raven

People should just do whatever they feel comfortable with.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me I respect the decision for people to stay in the closet. I know some people who just don't come out to their families and live a very open life without them ever really knowing anything. I was in a relationship with a guy who keep it hidden from his whole family and yeah it helped we lived far away from them but it was a very healthy happy relationship until his death and I feel like I can be in a relationship with someone who rather stay closeted or just be out to gay people. I am the same way though I rather come out just to people who are gay or gay accepting. if i don't have to tell someone I rather keep it private. It is none of people's business.

7. TheStormInside

Sometimes when I get low enough I think about it. The closet is cramped and dark but it's also like, the "known comfortable" if that makes sense. It sometimes seems just easier to not deal with it, and live alone as I have been for much of my life. But I know that's not going to make me happy, and it wouldn't be the right decision for me.

Some people may have to stay in the closet due to their family situation, or where they live, for their personal safety. Maybe others just don't want to deal with it and staying hidden seems like the more acceptable option. I feel like for the most part, if it is safe to do so, coming out will be better for a person, but really only they can judge how it will end up affecting their lives and whether or not they want to face that.

8. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get why someone would want to stay in the closet forever unless it were a safety issue, or if keeping his or her family happy is the most important thing.

I've had enough of the stupid closet and will come out whenever I am in a financially stable enough position. Hopefully that is before the end of this year.

9. Ryu

Ryu

I wanna come out to my family and friends, but not to 99.999999999999999999...% of people I know.

10. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand it because I used to be there. The closet was a comfortable place, and the thought of coming out was unbearable. My plan was to just hide forever, never come out or act on my feelings. I didn't want to tell anyone because I was embarrassed and didn't want to make my family and friends feel uncomfortable around me.

Then I got a really gigantic crush on this one girl, and the thought of staying in the closet forever and never experiencing a relationship became less appealing. So I came out to a few people, and no one even cared. I can't believe I once planned to stay in the closet my whole life when no one around me even gave a shit. I would just be making myself miserable for no reason. That would have been such a waste.

Coming out is hard, and honestly probably isn't for everyone. You just have to weigh the pros and cons. For some, losing their family would make them more miserable than living their life in the closet. For some it's the other way around.

11. africanFlower

as mentioned, peoples situations are different. i just think its not fair that one has to even come out. why cant people love who they love and still be seen as normally. coming out implies that you were hiding and thats what bothers me, why should people be hiding who they are in the first place? but any way, this is what it is.. back to your point, personally i would/will rather stay in the closet and even become a nun than to lose my parents. but thats my take now, who knows what it will be tomorrow

12. CamaroBlack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's a bit over rated honestly straight people don't have to go telling everyone that they're straight because everyone just assumes that they already are and if you're not straight and someone asks why you're not interested in girls or guys you can just casually tell them you're gay or bi and that's it but I know there is people that over react and stuff like that but it should really just be that simple it's people that make it complicated.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It depends on the situation in my opinion. I choose not to come out to most people anymore since I'm celibate anyway so.....there's no point besides having to put up with ignorant questions/comments and sexual harassment.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think for most people who want to stay in the closet is bc they're not in a comfortable position to be outed or they domt think the environment around them would be accepting.

15. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They should go with what makes them comfortable.