1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how can you tell without asking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, May 22, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

I'm not really asking for major advice so I'm putting this here. see I can usually tell if someone is gay I just get a vibe that tells me, but I can't always tell if someone is gay so how am I supposed to meet someone and get into a relationship if I can't tell if someone is gay I don't want to go up to them and ask. I know this is kind of stupid but I bet I'm not the only one thats wondering this.

Sam

2. ampthejazz

I think one of the best ways to figure out if someone's gay or not is to see how they act in a large group. See what their interactions are like with guys and girls in the group. Are they more awkward with one sex than the other? For me, if I'm in a group, and a guy is kinda awkward with the guys, but more at home talking with the girls, then it's a slight indication that he may be gay.

These, of course, are only little hints that might be completely false. And for some reason, I imagine it's slightly harder with girls - I don't know why.

3. Im the same. I can work a crowd of girls easily but not so much guys. So it could be a potential indicator if you see others behaving as such

4. William1

But I'm totally the opposite - I just don't know what to talk to chix about. Like I can talk about footy and cricket and stuff with any guy, but not with the chix coz there just not interested.

And neway I hardly ever get to meet chix coz I'm a boarder at an all boys school. (But I can't tell which boys are gay either :eusa_doh:slight_smile:

5. justjoshoh

You really can't tell without asking. As suggested above, you can pick up on social queues that may or may not be correct. Mannerisms and vocal pitch are popular queues, but they are not always foolproof.

6. Alywishous

7. Phantomblade

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well not everyone is easy to tell. i am just as comforatable around guys as i am around girls. my voice is deeper than most strait guys. and i love to do "manly" things. in fact most of my friends are guys.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I saw that 60 minutes thing a while ago. They are replying a lot on stereotypes, and have gay people with fairly obviously gay manorisms. It makes for some cheap entertainment on TV but it is not really meaningful in reality. Many of us do not appear outwardly gay, and do not do the gestures etc that makes us look gay to straight people.

There really is no easy way of telling. Some gay people can spot other gay people easily (it's galled "gaydar" meaning "gay radar"), but many of us just can't tell at all. My gaydar has never worked peoperly (it finds cute guys but not gay guys).

I think the best thing is as has been suggested before, to see how they react in a group compared to others in the group. Also if they are on their own, try to see what catches their eye. Do they tend to watch girls or guys (or both or none)?

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just have to ask. Sad but true.

Other than that, I think it's probably easier to pick up whether someone is gay if they're attracted to you because there are a lot of cues to indicate that. But yeah--some gay people act one way, some act another, and sometimes the same person can "act" in different ways... so... unless they are openly gay and talk openly about it, you have to hear it from someone who knows for sure or you have to ask.

10. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm surrounded by boys. Most of my friends are boys at school, my brothers and dad are boys (duh), so I'm comfortable around them. Girls? I have friends who are girls who I'm close with, and my mom is a girl (Tinkerbell you are just stating the obvious today), but as far as romance goes....I don't know how to act around them really, or tell.

11. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I detected a gay guy before meeting him once, but my gaydar is far from perfect. I am suspicious about a friend of mine (19 years old, super hot, the girls drool when he passes near them... but he's a virgin and I've never, ever seen him with a girl). Who knows, I'll come out to him next time I see him (he lives in another city). If he is, I think I'll find out then.

12. Grof142007

Wow i watched

13. Jim1454

No idea how to tell really - because I agree that there are all kinds of people out there. You need to be mindful of 'wishful thinking'! Like the appraiser from the bank that came by the house the other day to do an appraisal... yum! :grin:

I watched a few of those clips, and have to agree with Paul. Just good (?) TV.