1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing anti-gay public officials: yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Mar 16, 2015.

?

Do you support the outing of anti-gay public officials who are actually LGBT?

1. Yes

54.5%
  2. No

9.1%
  3. It depends on the person in question

27.3%
  4. Unsure/Other

9.1%
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ran into an interesting conversation the other day about if it's proper to "out" someone who is in a position of power, is closeted as LGBT, and has went on record to deny LGBT people their rights. After watching the documentary OUTrage which centered around the outings of anti-gay politicians such as "Wide Stance" Larry Craig, Ed Schrock, and other notable anti-gay figures who control public policy who are really gay themselves, I think if a politician has made it clear that they are anti-gay, they should be outed. I don't believe in outing them to shame them either, I think that in some cases, it would change their rhetoric. I don't however, support the outing of private individuals regardless of their rhetoric on LGBT rights.

So EC, how do you feel about the outing of anti-gay public officials?

2. guitar

It depends who it is. If they're a Fred Phelps type politician, I'm much more inclined to want to out him than the quiet backbencher who isn't working against us.