1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know any good books?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by McBenz, Nov 12, 2008.

1. McBenz

Hey! i go to my dad's house every other weekend. me and him are usually fighting so i like to hang out in my room and read. but that isn't the point lol.

i was curious if anyone knew any good books to read because my supply is running short. i love young adult books, love stories, sci-fi. stuff like that. but im open to new stuff too!

thanx guys :slight_smile:

2. Ellen Hopkins books; they're all written poetry-style, and are amazing.

Love stories- Twilight series, if you haven't read them already.

Sci-fi: Battlefield Earth. Its a big book, but sci-fi's not my favorite and it drew me right in.

Other series would be books by R. A. Salvatore, especially those with Drizzt Do'Urden in them. LOTR books are good as well.

I have more where those came from, too.

3. A book I really liked was The Secret Life of Bees. I read it when I was 14 so it's kind of a young adult ish book but you may like it if you haven't read it already.

4. McBenz

I love Ellen Hopkins! I love the way she writes her books. I've read Crank, Glass, Burned, and i am finishing Impulse. I think she just came out with another one called Identical. i really want that one!

5. KatzInHatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would recommend reading The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld. I LOVED all four of them~! The 4 books are Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras~! :grin:

6. kh23172

Like people said above about The Uglies and Twilight.. they're great books. My school has a reading "contest" every year where there are 16 books on a list, and at the end of the year everyone that has read some of them can vote on whichever book they choose to be their favorite. Those two series have won the last two year (ironically), and I hear that they're pretty good.

If you want a simple but REALLY good book.. read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". It's an amazing coming-of-age story; I think you would like it. :]

7. Nixon

Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God - Etgar Keret Great Israel Fiction

8. Kryz

ANY Chuck Palahniuk (fight club... anyone?)

9. Level N Human

Meh, I don't like Palahniuk. Fight Club was good, but all of his books have the exact same voice. It worked for Fight Club, but in all other books it annoyed me.

As for science fiction, you should volumes of the "Road to Science Fiction" series. They're compilations of great short stories that I find excellent for reading when you don't feel like committing yourself to a long novel.

Here are some author names in science fiction from the top of my head if you are interested in searching up their books:
    Robert Heinlein
    Ray Bradbury
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Harlan Ellision
    Isaac Asimov
    Ursula Le Guinn
    Phillip K. Dick

Maybe pick up some H.P Lovecraft too. :slight_smile:

10. Trystan

um I've just finished noughts and crosses by malorie blackman, it's awesome. power of 5 books are pretty good too, by anthony horowitz... I'll return later :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Kryz

I guess you've read ALL his books.....
    And in that case, why did you keep reading?

12. Nick

If philosophy/the meaning of life interests you, "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder is a good read. I got that recommended to me by Blaz on here.

Thanks Blaz !!

13. Dave

Try the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr) By Christopher Paolini, If you haven't read them yet. Also try searching the Internet, there are some pretty good e-books that can be printed (if you don't have a computer) in places like the Gutenberg project and there are some good amateur Authors on the net too.

14. Peter

Busy reading "At Swim, Two Boys" by Jamie O'Neill. One of the best I have read in a long time. Includes love story, history (it is happening in Ireland during WWI, just before the Irish nationalist rising) and serious atmosphere. I cannot compare it to any other book I have read.:icon_bigg

15. Level N Human

Sorry, I didn't mean to generalize to all of Palahniuk's work to or condescend what you like. I was only stating my opinion. I've read 2 of his books and a short story; they're just not for me.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>i was curious if anyone knew any good books to read.

Yes.

Lex

17. Ooh I so loved them, I bought Extras thw other week and once I've finished the book I'm currently readin that will be next.

Thank you!!! Bleh, I've been trying to remember the name of that book for sooo long!
    I loved it, I loved the series. The ending to the first book was sad. :frowning2:

I'm reading Brisingr right now. :grin:
    I hate how they butchered the movie version of though. *shudders*

One book that I've been looking for is Hero by Perry Moore. It seems interesting.

The Saga of Darren Shan is a Vampire Series, great ending. Has also been turned into a movie though. :S

The Taking by Dean Koontz is one of my favourite books. I'll also suggest his work.

18. Beth

i might check that out then

i wish i had more time to read though.i feel guilty if i read something that isnt uni related because it feels like i should be doing something more productive

19. rocking23

One book I have read over and over again is The Cay by Theodore Taylor

20. AeonToy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    THe Alchemist by Paulo coelho, chnaged my life... one of hte only required school books that i loved