1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on drinking alcohol?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheDude, Mar 16, 2015.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yesterday I made a thread about what you guys thought about smoking and I didn't expect so many people being against it because of health reasons. I mean, I totally agree that it's bad for your health, but there are also a lot of things that ruin your health.
    So now I want to know your opinion about drinking alcohol.

I do it socially, maybe once every two weeks. And I like it. I don't find it bad unless you do it everyday.

What about you guys and girls?

2. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't drink because alcoholism runs in my family and I don't like the sense of not being in control of myself. I've watched the effect alcohol has had on my parents when I was little and I knew I didn't like what it did to them (passing out all over the house, using it to hide from problems, getting mean and abusive). Because of my family history I know I'm high risk for alcoholism, so whenever I go out with friends or family I order a soda or iced tea.

Now, that's my choice and I have no problem with other people drinking if they enjoy it. I don't judge. It's just not for me and I still have a good time hanging out.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Substitute parents for grandparents, and I am in the same boat.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I have no problem with it. However, I personally don't do it because I simply do not like the feeling of being drunk.

5. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alcohol is pointless, for me.

Does nothing positive -- apart from a better image when out with mates, but even that I could do without and don't need -- and it tastes terrible as well. I could never want to keep trying to acquire a taste for a drink I abhorred the taste of the first time, and second and third time, etc.

6. the haunted

I enjoy drinking.

To be honest, I didn't start drinking until I was 20. A lot of people start in high school, but the thought of being drunk never appealed to me back then.

A lot has changed since then. I've realized that it's okay to partake in less-than-healthy behavior sometimes because fuck it, you really do only live once. Sometimes I want to get totally smashed with my friends and that's okay. I don't need to constantly be "bettering my life" to feel like I'm doing alright in this world. If I'm happy then I think I'm doing a damn good job.

This took a turn.

7. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem with it. I drink occasionally, mostly just because I like how beer tastes and sometimes because I like being drunk. Equally, I can see why people don't want to drink and obviously respect that.

The only things I don't like to see around alcohol are drinkers persistently trying to "recruit" non-drinkers and non-drinkers lecturing drinkers about drinking (health isn't the only motivator for people's decisions, after all...). I don't mind people asking others why they drink/don't, or trying to persuade them to drink/not, but I expect them to respect others' choices.

8. Wren

I only really drink at parties. Sometimes I'll enjoy a beer or a cocktail with a meal if I'm out with friends, but I usually stay pretty much dry unless I'm going to a house party or something.

9. RainDreamer

Moderate consumption of alcohol is not so bad, and may even be good. I sometime drink a little wine when I am out dining at fancy places (not that often). But usually, I avoid it.

I am not a stable person even when I am sober during episodes of depression and anxiety. I don't know what I would do if I am drunk and depressed. I don't plan to find out.

10. tulipinacup

I'm in the same way but then again I seldom do drink alcohol.

11. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I drink occasionally, I got drunk once and had to go to school afterwards... Not doing that ever again x)
    I happened to drink vodka sometimes with a friend from highschool. But ever since I got into college and came of age, I just... Don't drink unless there's a special occasion.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't drink much. The only times I drink is when I want to try something new, because I like to understand the flavour and such. :icon_bigg

But no, I'm not against alcohol (and not against smoking or marijuana), as long as we can guarantee each other's safety. =] But if one wants to use any of those when not being able to harm anyone, then I don't mind at all. :icon_bigg

13. LaEsmeralda

I love alcohol but only in moderation. I hate the sensation of being too drunk, and I always suffer for at least two days afterwards. I take a glass of red wine with my dinner most nights, and I like having a cider or a beer when the weather is sunny. But the nighttime drinking culture here really doesn't appeal to me. People racing to down as many drinks as possible, having shot after shot at the bar, feeling like you won't enjoy a night out unless you're practically leg-less, it's just so unhealthy. Physically and mentally. There's not one night where I've gone out and haven't seen grown adults getting into stupid drunken fistfights, or some guy lying on the pavement covered in puke/drool, people wandering around by themselves cause they've lost all their friends etc.

14. Lyana

I like drinking, I'm not ashamed of it, and I don't judge people based on whether or not they drink. There's a difference between enjoying alcohol, and having an addiction. More people can enjoy "casual" drinking without suffering drastic consequences than "casual" smoking.

My parents had a very healthy approach to alcohol when I was growing up. I've always been safe and responsible about drinking, thanks to them. They were the ones who gave me my first taste of, well, everything from champagne to vodka, really. I have a drink every now and then because I like the taste of it, and from time to time I'll get drunk (I am a student, after all), and I don't see anything wrong with that.

15. LiquidSwords

Yeah I get drunk maybe once every other week, when I was younger it was way more. I don't think it's a serious health issue and it's good fun so

16. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I simply don't like the way it tastes so...no drunk experiences here

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking is okay but I don't like people who get drunk. For an example, the first and only time I went to a bar with friends I had a few drinks and basically just felt uncoordinated, goofy, and sleepy for a little bit. My friends didn't really seem to have much of a huge effect either. People who can drink and remain fairly normal are okay. However, my friend's friend who also went drank a whole bottle of wine before we went to the bar and after the bar he was passing out... that's not so attractive. When my parents drink, they just seem relaxed/happier.

Basically, drinking in moderation is okay. Drinking to the point of getting drunk isn't a turn on. I don't like dealing with people who are drunk...

18. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like getting faded. Definitely helps me be more social:slight_smile:

19. guitar

I'm a social drinker, but don't have an addictive personality. I like the taste of beer, wine, and some hard liquor. If its a slow time of year I can go 3 months without a drop & then get drink 3x in a month. It just depends what's going on. I do find since leaving University I drink far less, especially with not wanting to feel yucky at work.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Understand the flavour... :lol: (*hug*)

Having your drinks... And not getting drunk.
    Remembering... And not trying to forget.
    For your own pleasure... And not trying to fit in.
    Responsible use... And not putting yourself or someone else in danger.
    A hobby... Not a routine.

I know my limits, and I never go beyond them. I've seen enough (real) alcoholics, and I don't want that ending for myself. Also I'm lucky 'cause I can't get hooked. I just can't.

Right, enough talkin'... I'd have a screwdriver, and TNPs can have a drink on me (&&&)