1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First First Date - Help!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Siarad, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Siarad

So I have been talking to a woman on a lesbian dating site for four weeks. We seem to have lots of similar interests and I've really enjoyed talking to her. Now she has said that she wants to meet. I want to meet up with her but I have never been on a date with a woman. I've never even had a first date with a man because my (very) short-lived relationship with a man, before acknowledging that I'm gay, was when I was at uni and we were living together anyway. I have no idea how to do a first date. I also don't know when or how to tell her that I have no experience with women and no real experience with men either. I don't know if that would be a total turnoff for somebody.

Any advice/ideas/tips that anyone can offer would be very much appreciated!

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There is your answer. If possible, try and make the date involve those common interests. A first date shouldn't be anything more than:

- Getting to know one another a bit.
    - Getting used to/comfortable around one another.
    - Having a nice/fun time.

I don't know what you and this woman are into, so I cannot give you any direct ideas. But if I may, let us say the two of you liked, for some reason, birds. Maybe have a meal outside somewhere, where there is a likelihood of seeing birds. To go with another random example, let us say the two of you liked, for some reason, reading. Maybe go browsing for a book together, which the two of you can read together. This would also allow you to, when you are apart, to have a way of being reminded of one another. It also, provided you both read this book, to have something to bond over and talk about, on any future get-together.

Go somewhere with something to do, but not too active... unless you both want that. This way, you have things to interact with and be distracted by, but you won't feel cornered or at the mercy of any awkward moments, which may happen, especially since this is the first time you're meeting face-to-face. Also, if you're doing something you both really like, it'll ease the stress levels, because you're doing something you, not only like, but should have a degree of confidence with/in -- and who doesn't find confidence sexy? Mm.

She wants to meet you, that's great. That other stuff, don't worry too much about it. Really, you shouldn't be discussing anything like that, on that deep of a level, on a first date, because leaving a friendly and inviting impression is essential. Most folks will look back on their first date, and you would do better to have it associated with positive vibes, not baggage. Feel free to mention it, if it comes up, but don't dwell on it a lot, or it may send the wrong type of vibes.

As for not knowing how to do a first date. There isn't an official way of doing it, just a little bit of common sense. Be kind, pay attention to each other, and have fun. Everything else is based upon the two of you. There is no universal method to dating, despite what many books and online ads will try and lure you in with.

Realistically, she might be a little surprised, especially if she finds you appealing/attractive. But if she is worth going further with, as in having a relationship with, then she will be understanding of that.

Be considerate, be genuine, and be sure to smile and laugh. If you feel good, they should feel good, and when you both feel good, good things tend to happen. But most importantly, have a good time, because you never know... years from now, the two of you may look back upon this with fond memories.

#2 Kaiser, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. ShatteredLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmm considering I've only ever been on one date, just act naturally, act like if your'e just hanging out, and go with the flow, talk just as you would when you talk to her online. Not having any experience with a girl or a guy, depending on the person it may be a turn off, but for most people i don't think it would be because everybody has a starting point whether its really young or in their young adulthood. I'm sure everything will go fine :slight_smile:
    Tip: for a first date do something simple, where you guys can talk, with nothing really distracting, like for example, maybe go for lunch, or coffee? something simple like that.
    i hope all goes well, best of luck!

4. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Inexperience isn't a turn off, it's the lack of confidence due to inexperience that is the turn off, so just be confident!