1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A society without gender roles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hats, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's imagine that tomorrow gender roles are suddenly and permanently erased from society; i.e. people remember what they were but aren't interested in enforcing them and people are free to do their own thing. What would you do that is currently too stigmatised by society?

#1 Hats, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. RainDreamer

I would go out and buy a bunch of girl clothes and wear them all the time. I think HRT and SRS will still require a lot of work to get even without the gender role restriction though, since they are medical procedures. But less hoops to jump through.

But I think, for the most part of develop societies, not much would change, aside from women getting equal pay and opportunity, and more women in male dominated jobs. No other major upheavals.
    Gender haven't been much relevant in an objective point when it comes to working for society right now, which is a good thing. It is only the employers' bias that are in place that would treat women differently.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably nothing different...

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This would be amazing, too bad it's a fantasy! If I woke up tomorrow and gender roles no longer existed, I'd tell my dad and brother I was never a girl! And never again would anyone call me 'miss' or say things like 'you can't walk home in this weather, if you were a boy it'd be fine though'! I could wear a dress and heels one day and still not have my identity questioned or invalidated or feel guilty about it.

And hey, if gender roles aren't a thing, that means sexualities become less regimented (if not entirely freed)! "Hey you're gay!" "No, I'm over in this part of the gender gradient and my lover is like 3 shades over." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And no more discrimination of non-binaries, intersex, or people that don't pass.

*Sigh* Yeah, that'd be nice.

5. MonsterAnarchy

i wouldnt shave my legs, tbh. the main reason i do is cause i feel more ladylike and people would make fun of me if i dont. and its a pain to always shave and pretend i was born hairless. but if gender roles are out the picture, then its whatever xD

6. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

go to my boyfriends junior prom with him...

7. Acm

Acm Guest

That would be great for me. I would still need to transition, but until then I wouldn't have to deal with people judging me for not shaving my legs, or for wearing men's clothes. I feel like people would be more free too.

8. Justinian20

I think in terms of gender roles, well more guys might actually be openly submissive in relationships. Same with women being more openly dominant over their men. I might actually not fear being caught wearing nail polish and just letting myself be more freely feminine.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd run to get HRS and SRS, and I would get it without any complications. I'd also come out to anyone, including my coworkers, change my birthname and so on...

Probably wear ties and suits more often... And of course hit on girls more often.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It'd be nice, for many folks, but for me? Eh, without the surgery and the hormones, I'd be an ugly-looking woman. I'd look goofy at best, if I presented feminine. Just because the gender roles vanish, doesn't mean people's taste or attractions will.

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wouldn't shave again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Queero

I'd go out and live my life with much less fear.

I would stop worrying that after I come out it will be more difficult to get work (I am in childcare). I would just go to the bathroom like everyone else, instead of tapping the wall between the men's and women's, hoping that a gender neutral one will pop up.

I'd be much happier, because I don't fit the gender expectations no matter what.

13. randomly me

randomly me Guest

People would still be predejuced...just not about gender .They'd find other things to divide and treat us different for.

clothing or believes maybe

14. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Exactly how it's always been. Brain does sorting and categorizing as a full time job. That means labeling, internalizing experiences and making raw data into information. It is quite a fascinating computer system. I can't wait till we actually replicate it with nano scale CPU circuits.

That's why my answer has nothing to with gender roles...

There are so many ways people marginalize others, putting them in a different closet.

15. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Same.

I already break all kinds of gender roles. In some ways I'm more feminine than my female friends. Of course I have no desire to wear women's clothes or anything, so that wouldn't change. I'd just continue being who I am, but with less worry.

16. C P

C P

Can't like this post enough.

As already been noted, this is happening right now with gender roles in play, pretty much always has been, and would continue without them.

17. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Anything I would do, I already do. I don't give a fuck about what society says.

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, interesting premise. Would that entail that all women would receive a raise at work to compensate for the way in which gender roles and expectations *before* were keeping their salaries artificially lower than that of their male counterparts?

If not, then I might ask for a raise.

Otherwise, I can't see that I'd do a lot that I don't already do.

19. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have worse posture and not take up too much space while sitting, but that's probably it. I'm not very concerned about being gender conforming yet.

20. Yosia

Sounds awesome. I could live however I wanted without people being confused.