1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating physically challenged etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Mar 18, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Dear friends,

I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings with this thread.

Just a topic for discussion.

Is it very bad of a person if he chooses not to date someone who has disabilities (physical, visual, auditory etc.)?

I mean he is compassionate to them and also have friends who have disabilities. But just that he doesn't consider them for dating only.

2. Justinian20

I don't think a person is bad for that, it is probably worse for someone who might not be actually visibly disabled(like me I have hearing problems, a strange shaped foot) now I look like an average guy, to me I see myself as average plenty of people don't know I am disabled. I would consider if bad for someone not to date me because my disabilities I can deal with without anyone else helping me.

I understand for people in wheelchairs and with major disabilities why it is not offensive to not want to date them as they need care and you might not be able to provide that care to them. It would be a bit bad if you didn't date someone for wearing glasses for an eye problem, or hearing aids for a hearing impairment, or a limp because they have a foot problem(these are minor, combine them and you still only have a minor disability)

This is my opinion maybe biased because I am disabled myself.

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

I don't know any physically disabled people but some mentally disabled ones and i wouldn't say no to dating them.Still it depends on the person:my best friends brother is authistic (to the extend that he doesn't speak) while i wouldn't say no in general it would certainly be harder than dating someone else would be.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

As someone who is disabled (I have no feeling in one leg) being rejected just because of my disability is just something I accept is going to happen, it does sadden me but I see all this shit 'love the person for who they are', but I bet 90% of those people would run a mile away from going out with a disabled person.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you can hope to count on the 10% who don't. All you would ever need is one.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

No it is not. I wouldn't either, depending on how severe the disability is. If it's minor I probably wouldn't mind.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the severity of the disability.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree. I know my limits, and I'm aware that to be a 24/7 doctor/nurse would end up doing me no good. And I don't want to compromise if I'm not sure I can deal with it.

Other different case would be if my partner had an accident and was suddenly dissabled.
    Then I would stay no matter what, even if there is no love anymore, and I would stay not out of compassion but out of loyalty.

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on the disability. I wouldn't date someone who's in a wheelchair. That would be overwhelming for me.

Blindness or deafness might appear to be a problem, but it's not really. You just learn to communicate with the person in a different way.

People with Aspergers or other disabilities on the ASD scale, it depends if they're highly functioning or not. I'm okay as long as they can lead me into their world.

I can't give you a definite yes or no. It depends very much on the situation, but I wouldn't outright reject someone just because they have "a disability".

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mhm I agree.

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not very bad. It could just happen that a person decides not to date a person unknowingly said person has a disability. That being said, if the disability is the deal breaker then I would say that's a poor choice being made right there.

Personally, I would not deny them solely on their disability. If I love them as much as they love me, why would I deny based on the circumstances of their birth. They're just as much of a human being as anybody else. Plus, it would rather by hypocritical of my if I said otherwise since I have a disability. Having said that, if I didn't have a disability, I would have the same answer.

12. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the severity though I would prefer to date someone without one simply because I have a disability. The right side of my body doesn't work as well as the left and I'm blind in one eye. I use a cane most of the time but other than that I get along just fine. The only big downfall I have is not being able to drive which in the grand scheme of things, isn't that big a deal.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is perfectly fine for someone who is not disabled to date someone who is. I mean as long as your intentions are healthy and your not taking advantage of the situation. I mean in all honestly if the person is of low intelligence and I mean very low than I don't think a relationship would honestly work well. I don't mean this to sound rude as a disabled person myself but a person with down syndrome would probably be better off dating someone at the same level as them. In general I think i seen relationships work better if both people are at the same level of intelligence or whatever but that doesn't mean it could not work better with someone who has more intelligence. IT all depends on the person and their intentions and even their experience and the way they can handle a relationship.

For example in community college there was this very homophobic roommate of mine who disabled himself dated a girl who was more disabled and the relationship was extremely unhealthy.At first they spend all their time time together than he wanted space and she became extremely attached like a child is to their parent. It lasted a few months and ended badly with the police involved. All I am saying.

14. Foz

Foz Guest

Not every person who uses a wheelchair is totally unable to walk, I can walk short distances with crutches, any further it excruciatingly painful, but to actually get out of the house I need to use my chair. Some people just have weak muscles and can walk short distances unaided but eventually they physically can't walk further.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wouldn't mind. I have a form of autism and I'd rather someone not date me then 'try' to date me if they have no idea how to care for me in a relationship.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean you can look at it this way. OF course it depends on the disablity also but would rejection someone based on a minor disablity almost like blaming them for something they were born with as they had no control over it. It wouldn't be fair to that person.

17. Psaurus918

It would depend on the disability. I'm an active person, I like to hike and camp and travel if someone couldn't physically do these things then what would be the point of dating

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I suppose it depends on how the two of us met.

If they were somewhere I frequent and we hit it off, maybe. If they approached me, disability and all, then I'd honor their testicular fortitude.

At the same time, if their disability is severe, it is unlikely I'd run into them, as they'd either be at home or in the care of somebody. It's simply a matter of contact likelihood.

I think I could handle it, especially if they were able to approach me. I've seen some folks who, at first glance, you think they wouldn't have a chance, but they pull telephone numbers all the time.

One fellow in a wheelchair told a girl, "Like my wheels?", and she thought he meant his wheelchair so she said yes. He laughed and said, "Quit lying! My car is over there, and it's a piece of shit!"

He used his disability to his advantage.

19. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not every person who uses a wheelchair has completely lost every sensation below their waist. That's what I meant when I wrote "in a wheelchair". I can barely take care of myself, I don't I can take care for another person, even if they don't want it.

20. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    At the risk sounding like a parrot I'll repeat what a few others have said already: it depends on the severity.

Entering a relationship with someone when you know in advance that you won't be able to take on certain potential difficulties or adapt the way you do things isn't really fair on either partner. It also runs the risk of creating a power dynamic if handled badly. Certainly dismissing someone just because one assumes that something is going to be a big issue without really properly considering it, or refusing 'just because' wouldn't be a very mature attitude. But then the person with the disability probably wouldn't want to date someone if they are that dismissive anyway. I speak from the perspective of someone with difficulties; I'm patient if someone is willing to learn certain things they might not have encountered before, but I'm not going to try and educate someone in 'all things disability' if they're outright negative towards every little aspect.

I have some mobility issues myself along with other health problems (digestive, sensory, weakness etc), in my case it's more of 'lots of little problems adding up' rather than one big specific thing. In a nutshell, pain and exhaustion are my achilles heel. I can self care, and also care for another (my mother, my responsibilities revolve more around running errands outside and doing stuff around the house, fortunately she can usually manage personal care by herself aside from dressing sometimes) which I can just about manage, with difficulty. So it isn't always accurate to assume that someone is going to be a burden just because they have some kind of problem or impairment. I don't rely on any individual but myself, that's not to say entering a relationship wouldn't be without various differences, but I very much doubt I would become 'dependent' on someone after having to manage by myself for so long.