1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's put an end to "that's so gay"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Awesome_trans_girl13, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Yay lets put and end to bad lgbt slang words

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gay originally means happy. Discrimination is bad at any point

3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. randomly me

randomly me Guest

actually this isn't only the case in english

"gai" still means happy in france

and in german the word "geil" also used to mean happy (now it means either "sexually attractive" or "awesome")

5. GhostNeko

Yeah. There's this new kid that brought the trend to my school.
    He says it before he gets on top of another guy though. o3o

6. Foz

Foz Guest

The question is, is the term being used in a derogatory sense? I've used it before and have since I was about 13/14 which is nearly 10 years ago. I've never used it to offend or hurt a gay person, but I've used it say when I see a Vauxhall Corsa with a shit body kit or along those lines. When a word is adopted into a phrase it often changes the meaning of that word within the context it's being used.

7. RAdam

Nobody here remembers the intro song from the flinstones!?!? ''Have a Gayyyyyyyyy olddddd timeeee'' Yes it used to mean happy/joyfull but now it means either homosexual or lame :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't mind it that much because most people have no bad intentions when saying it.

[​IMG]

#7 RAdam, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. gabroxs20

This bothers me so much. There are kids in my classes who will say "that's so gay" when someone does something. And I'm just sitting there thinking "really??". We had this whole assembly at school about acceptance and I literally ranted about this during small groups.

9. Rapha Lover

It's hard because this simple words is a complex cultural question...

But not impossible...
    Gay means something ''colored, lovely, happy, sentimental'' and all theses that everybody know, but see theses things as bad behave! The ''F'' word (faggot, in my language means ''veado'') is always used for a bunch of people everyday to offended somebody who behaved kind ''not-straight'' in some moment. But this problem will resolve with a revolution cultural in your society, where all prejudice will go fall forever!

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to say things were "gay" to mean unappealing in some way, and despite some protesting by my parents (and later regrettable PSAs that say you're being a bully for doing it and coming off as hopelessly ineffective), I kept using it for awhile. Gay was not something anyone wanted to be labeled at a certain age.

The armor-piercing question though, useful in provoking self-reflection in most who say this is "What makes gay a bad thing?" It may not work right away, but if they seriously consider it, they will find no good answer.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Leider Geil...
    , geiler song... :lol: (or "unfortunately awesome")

Yup, "Gay" meant happy. How to change the way they use it nowadays? Hmmm... By not using it obviously... We can't do jack about the rest of the population...

12. Azael

I dont think people (or at least most people) mean to offense gay people by it. Hell, from where i come from, people use synonyms of gay (like fif, tapette,ect. yes, im a not quebecois french canadian) as insults and such without even knowing what it means =_=''
    But it would be cool to get rid of them. I just doubt it will happen soon since those words got other significations in people minds.

13. Jellal

I grudgingly admit that when I'm with certain groups of rude friends, we throw around 'gay' and 'faggot' like it's nothing. I keep as low a profile as I can because despite how rude they can be, I know they're not like this in public to other people. But I do worry sometimes about how much of it is actual serious homophobia. Like, there's one of em, I love him, but the kind of insult he uses to describe someone is "that guy obviously likes to take it up the ass."

lol. IF ONLY HE KNEW.

14. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Many people don't care if they say it because "it's not meant to be offensive" and it's just a "figure of speech" or whatever but this is one of the reasons why homosexuality and heterosexuality will never be equal in the eyes of society. People may not think it's a big deal to say it but it's kind of like the Butterfly effect and whether they have the brains to realize it or not it does contribute to homophobia.

Everything that we hear (or see etc.), consciously or unconsciously, affects us in one way or another.

I wouldn't necessarily try to stop people from saying it because that seems nearly impossible but you can at least prevent it by speaking up every time you hear it.

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And people from the Netherlands find that funny, as "geil" is Dutch for horny.

-

To give some reasonable input.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think "that's so gay" might insult some indeed. It can bother me depending on what it's about, but it doesn't always bother me. =) And yes, some words are insulting and should not be used, but I don't think it's likely that we can simply ban the usage of those words.

16. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

GOD, people, you do not have a right NOT to be offended by what other people say. You may politely tell them WHY THE F it bothers you.

Redneck/Conservative/Republican/Liberal/Yankee/French/'murican is an insult to/from some, pride to/from another.

If you value liberty, especially the liberty to live your life how you see it, you let other people say offensive things. And you correct them.

Which is better for a free world, having the KKK ridiculed in the public square, or "banned" from the public square into their basements and compounds?

Now, this does not condone verbally abusive/bullying behavior. That's not a matter of free speech. And that's not strictly based on any issues we talk about on here. You try to partition out that saying X, Y, or Z is bad, then you take some of the joy out of life. The convention when I was growing up that people who are verbally abusive are rude, and to be shunned. You make them socially unacceptable in your own social circles.

Life used to be less politically correct...

#16 kindy14, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  17. Lipstick Leuger

I guess I am lame, because it does not bother me and I won't waste time on getting offended about it. I tell my straight friends 'that's so straight!' when I see stupid stuff and we all have a great laugh about it.

18. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well "gai" is still used, but the word Gay means homosexual

19. elmezaj

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Guess what!
    My name used to mean dreamboy or the dreamed one and now it means sleepy.
    I grew up listening to stupid jokes about being sleepy...
    Damn :icon_bigg