1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you see yourself fighting in a war?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Mar 19, 2015.

1. lemons123

@Second question: If you were Syrian or east Ukrainian which side would you support? (e.q: Assad, ISIS, pro-Russian rebels etc.).

I am thinking...since I am getting "relatively old" (26) to draft in the army I am probably the failure of my family lol :slight_smile:, since my great-grand father fought vs muslims/turks and got beheaded, my other gg-father fought vs Russia(and got shot...) and my grandfather and father also fought: one against the Nazis and one against the Czechs in 1968.
    ^ It may sound as a weird group of countries to fight for/against - but since I am from eastern europe all these countries make sense if you consider the history of my country.

anyway...so: Would you...for your country, or any other country?

2. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Depends both if i would fight and for whom.War usually has a lot of politics involved and understanding them all (which is what you'd have to do to see the big picture and be able to pick a side)is very hard.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To pick from the examples you listed
    I'd very likely support Ukraine in its battle against Russia. I think Ukraine should try to get closer to the European Union. It'll take time, but I think it's possible (with the newer generations).

However, I'm not the type that would join an army. So.. I'd likely make blogs and vlogs about issues related to it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To pick from something else
    I'd like to combat so many things that it's difficult to even try to imagine what should be done.. (That's why I decided to choose from those you listed - and I'm 25% Ukranian too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

--

But would I ever see myself fighting? No, unless one forces me, but I'm not the kind that wants to use violence.

4. RainDreamer

Not at all. If I am going to a war, I will likely get drafted as a male soldier. The first thing I will do in that case is put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.

5. Yosia

Depends what I am fighting for. I would not fight for a certain country, but for their cause if I believed it was good enough to risk my life for.

6. Hizaki

While war is a dramatic, romantic, exciting thing, I don't put much belief in cause for any "just" war. I would not kill another human being for some invisible third party's gain, and surely would not risk my own life. I'd fight tooth-and-nail to prevent myself becoming a soldier if, for example, a draft occurred.

I'd rather not state any position on the Ukraine or Middle East; I don't know enough about it, and I wouldn't choose a side even if I did. The whole thing is immoral from every perspective. :confused:

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I swear that I will never, EVER go to war, not matter what happens. I flat out, one hundred per cent don't support war as a solution to anything at all. The only thing to be gained is so-called 'self defence' of one's country. But that wouldn't be the case if all the civilians on all sides (who let's face it don't want to be in a war in the first place) stepped back and refused to do it. So I refuse on all grounds. I will not be the reason why war exists.

8. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's very difficult to picture myself ever fighting in a war. I am not the fighting type in any sense and I am often opposed to many of the wars that are going on, especially the ones where we go into another country to "spread democracy". Now, if my country were attacked, I'd support fighting those attackers off, but actually taking part in the combat? It's not likely.

When it comes to issues like Syria and Ukraine, it's difficult. There are a lot of Russians living in Ukraine and personally, I wouldn't support their rebel cause, and I definitely would not support any Russian troops in Ukraine. Syria is more complicated because there are at least three sides tearing the country apart at the moment. Assad is fighting ISIS, so in that case, I support him, but he also attacked his own people when they tried to rebel, so it's hard to support him there. It's never just "good guys" vs. "bad guys".

9. 101DeadRoses

Well, I would love to join the military. I have legitimate reasons (not just excuses) not to, but I might just have to if ISIL gets much worse.

Who I'd fight for would depend on the circumstances, like the time period, who was clearly wrong and who was clearly right.
    If I even fought would depend on many other things: if I had family left in America to take care of, if my right leg and left hip get better or worse, if I ever get my urinary pain under control, there's a lot of ifs. And, in any case, I'm too susceptible to pain and emotion. If I did fight, I wouldn't be able to make any friends because if they died, especially if I saw them die, I would probably kill myself or turn into a grief-stricken mess. I'm not good with loss or even sadness at all.
    Also, I'm sassy and cranky by nature. I might be able to suppress it for a while, but I'd probably b*tch someone out at some point.... Which would likely not sit well with superior officers. I'm not good at self-control either... :frowning2:
    I'm not a good candidate for a soldier. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't ever fight if I was needed to, and that doesn't mean I don't want to help.

Anyway, I truly do admire the military. The things they go through aren't for the faint of heart, and they do it all for millions of people that they'll probably never meet.
    One hell of a sacrifice to go out there and risk your life for strangers. Really admirable.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2015 at 09:42 AM ----------

And, just for the record, yes, I am against war. Everyone who knows what war is should be.
    But some things are worth fighting for.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No. I had to bust my ass to get my conscientious objector status, and let me tell you, the recruiting office made it as difficult as possible. I was threatened with losing access to government benefits and assistance, everything from financial aid for schooling to Social Security, and the guilt trip. Oh my God, the guilt trip they tried to pull on me:

I was called "selfish" because, by me not wanting to possibly go to war, if I were needed, somebody else would have to. I was called "confused" because, my not wanting to go to war was due to "never having actually been in combat", and having no idea what it was really like.

That said, I could probably do it, but not for somebody else. Now, if Congress and the President put on combat boots and went with me, you know, I might actually consider it. But so long as folks make decisions for me, behind closed doors and distanced security, no, I refuse.

As for who I'd support. Well, there's the moral and the beneficial answer, and I'll leave this at that.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't. One quick glance at my medical history, and the "denied" stamp is snatched and stamped until it breaks.

12. lemons123

I am completely puzzled about the case in Ukraine.

At first sight it makes sense to support the separatists since they want freedom, which is good thing of course. On the other hand the question arises: "how are they going to govern their country once they get freedom?" <- I mean if those "free ones" execute people just because they are gay I will obviously not support such "freedom".

As to the Ukrainian side - I recently read something very interesting...on a Russian website how the commander of the largest independent Ukrainian battalion fighting for Ukraine accused BOTH the west and Russia for their participation in Ukraine.
    This is my kind of idea to support.

If Ukraine wants independence from both the EU/NATO and Russia - then I will support them 100%.

The rebel side though seems very pro-russian and if they weren't(nor pro-eu/nato) I'd be on their side.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2015 at 11:04 AM ----------

Agreed.

And I hope no one on this forum supports isis lol...in Syria there seems to be assad vs rebels vs isis. Only the rebel cause seems legit but they're still muslims so...I am expecting a very conservative governing once/if they get in charge - which is again: too conservative for my taste.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a chance in hell.

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The issue with Ukraine lies in the fact that it's a country that is not unified properly.

For instance, look at the fluency of the Ukranian language in the country:

[​IMG]
    (Wikimedia - 2001)

On the east side, there are large populations of Russian speakers. Giving parts to Russia won't solve the problem, but how it's going now is also no option.

Some people want to be part of Russia, while others want independence and even others support Ukraine as a EU member. It's a difficult issue, and the way things are going now doesn't help. There should be (in my opinion) more information for the people on the matter, and Ukraine should show more interesting in trying to help those who need it.

And yes, we don't have an unbiased view of Ukraine.. That's why there should be more information on the issue, especially for its citizens.

15. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. There are many factors to consider. If I had to, I'd prefer to work with the side that I could at least somewhat agree with and was effective. Obviously, it doesn't matter what they promise, unless they can produce results.

I think, joining the army, would be one step forward and two steps back, on my path to self-improvement. I've considered it and researched a little. I've went on a week long army experience, thanks to my school group. But it was more like a holiday.

As a sidenote, I'd love to watch some leaders fight to the death, "Mad Max" style. You might have to blackmail them into fighting, and set a time-limit, so it doesn't bore people.

16. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hopefully not, I don't want to die a horrible death.

17. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never. I'm against war in all its forms. If someone tried to send me to war I would run and hide and never come back. I am no killer, I wont be a killer for my own cause and certainly not someone else's... I just want to stay home and cuddle up to someone I love...

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easily.

Just not for a State or State-supported entity.

19. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    LOL hell fucking no. Countries with compulsory military service are the some of the worst criminals against democracy. Can't believe it was compulsory in my country until relatively recently. Crazy.

20. lemons123

thanks for the map, but yeah I know about the language diversity there but not sure if this matters.

Americans are speaking English but hardly they want to join England right now, Russia are using alphabet created in my country but I doubt they want to give their independence to us, etc. And...we are now using the latin alphabet so the italians hopefully won't have desires to annex 90% of the world :slight_smile:.

In my opinion, Ukraine will be better off without both the EU and Russia. Both have only desires to grab its resources. Of course both sides portray the other party as the "evil one" but they both have the same demand: $$$.