1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you afraid of yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randomly me, Mar 19, 2015.

?

Are you scared of yourself?

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. no

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. how the hell did you come up with this weird question?

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Or me taking a serious conversation and turning it into a weird thread.

This is about being afraid of what your capable of, what you would do if your moral wasn't holding you back are you ever scared of what you could do?would do?

No one has to write a comment on this because its quite personal.(but you can if you like)

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I honestly am. For I am my worst enemy while being my first enemy too. Nobody could ever destroy me as much as I could. I am the one that can do the wrong things that will hurt me. I'm the one who sees the world and thus I am the one that can hurt myself depending on how I see it.

3. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, randomly me this is a serious one. I never knew you can be this deep. Nice question tho.

I am afraid of myself. I was this really bad boy (like stealing and doing sadist stuffs) when I was younger and I feel like it is still in me. Tho I am a very different person now, like total opposite. But sometimes I am having urges of going back, and I am afraid that I might follow that urge.

4. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, no, I'm not scared of myself. I don't see why I should. I have morals so I make do just fine. If I ever feel hesitant or uncertain about something, I always think about it deeply and ask questions, so I think I have nothing to worry about as far as I'm concerned.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

By definition any human is capable of genocide, we have the power to do literally anything. To fear your potential power is to that end, to fear humanity. Now that is truly worrying.

6. Stripe101

Sometimes I severely question my moral compass but other than that, I'm a saint.

[​IMG]

7. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll i could really really be this asshole bitchy queeny diva guy from hell who would your day a living hell if my morals rules and kindness doesnt stop i would just all of a sudden be very mean very very mean only my family knows that side of me and some friends who became enemies
    and also im a very pervy person in a sexual way so GOD KNOWS WHAT THE HELL I CAN TALK AND DO WITH GUYS IF IM OUT OF MY MIND
    so yeah i think i have a huge fear that maybe one day i might lose it all and act like i lost my mind morals and everything that makes me a good polite person
    though would never ever happen just talking about un-real facts in the end we are humans no morals (and by morals i mean not crossing red lines like hurting someone for no reason or something)
    means we turn into talking animals thats a rule i think everyone follow as a human ^_^

8. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    To answer honestly: sometimes, just not as persistently anymore.

I've gotten better with it. But it wasn't until just a couple of years ago that I started to reach a level of comfort, and stopped worrying so much that I might one day become a really bad person. There was actually a specific moment, fairly mundane, nothing that interesting going on, when it suddenly dawned on me that I had spent such a large percentage of my life trying to do the 'right' thing or at least stick to a certain morality, that I was not actually a bad person just because I think or feel certain things, and given the sheer amount of effort I'd been willing to invest in that process it was unlikely that I ever would be.

My go-to method has always been to try and find a way to resolve something or work around it, or failing that, to avoid it entirely. I do still have concerns about how I would handle a situation where walking away was not an option. I can't predict every situation, reaction, possible outcome etc. Simple fact is you learn in life that things aren't always straight forward and fair and sometimes you have to bend the rules (whether that's a general one or something you've set out for yourself, personally I'm more concerned with the latter), so long as you don't break them completely. I just don't like flirting with that line.

9. AAASAS

I'm afraid of myself in the fact that I overreact and am a very emotional person.

Im so deluded that I think I'm one of the only nice people on the planet, or truly nice, which is obviously not true. But I somehow believe i'm the only one capable of empathy, everyone else sorta is empathetic when it benefits them, I'm sorta always minding how I affect others.

I'm also afraid of myself and would be afraid of myself if you cross me. Because I can be the worst enemy you've ever had if I truly believe you are a shitty person.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hell no... And neither am I of anyone.
    I'm afraid od sickness and death. Health and life itself are more fragile than we like to think.

11. TheStormInside

Yes, though I am more afraid of what I may do to myself than I would to others. Sometimes I get into dark places and have thoughts I'd rather not share.

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm not. I'm pretty predictable and I don't worry about things I might do, either to others or to myself. I know my limits and nothing I've done causes me to fear myself.

13. newfish

Kinda... my main related fear is that I'll harm myself because I'll end up losing all my motivation, have substance abuse problems and die of a drug overdose. I know, kind of an irrational extrapolation for where I am in life (you know, without having used drugs and being pretty disgusted by the taste of alcohol, taking 4 AP classes [but not doing all that well in some]) but I used to have straight A's and my GPA just gradually falls the further I get. I can't tell if my inability to do work is out of laziness, or because of how stressed I sometimes make myself if I try to force myself into it.

Sometimes I feel like I can be a bit mean, but that's the only way I feel dangerous to others. I just can't imagine myself causing serious harm without being driven near insane with guilt.

14. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not afraid of myself.

Although I wouldn't describe myself as a very moral person, someone has to try really hard to get me to do anything that very destructive.

15. Aro

Aro

I am afraid of myself. But not on behalf of other people. I would never be someone to hurt others no matter if my morals crumbled or not. I'm scared of what I do to myself and what I think a lot of the times. I'm scared of what I am capable of ruining. And sometimes some very not okay thoughts. I try not to think about it on most occasions, which is why I am opting not to write more than this. A very deep and interesting topic though, for sure.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To quote a favorite song of mine:

I'm only __, but my mind is older.
    When things get for real, my warm heart turns colder.

I'm naturally not a very kind person*. This is especially true when an obstacle presents itself, be it to something I want or in general. There is a tendency to look for any weak point in an idea or belief, a chip or crack to somebody's security, loopholes or technicalities to exploit, to push through with. I have done this for so long, it's a terribly difficult habit to break, and despite my efforts over the past several years, this is always my first inclination. I have to catch myself before slipping too far, and think with a more balanced mindset.

*It is worth taking a moment to say, I've made some serious strides in this department.

Very early on I developed a You vs Me attitude to life. Everybody was capable of causing me to feel things, quite frankly, I did not like:

- Rejection
    - Loneliness
    - Vulnerability

Everybody was a rival, that, if left unchecked, would take away anything I wanted. So I embraced manipulating and hurting people, because it discouraged them from ever doing anything about it, save accepting this depressing reality. I took a pride in breaking people, and the more confident, more defiant somebody was, the greater my pride swelled, when they did collapse.

I had a very warped logic with this. If somebody could not see I was strumming them along, they weren't clever anyway. If somebody could not stay confident, they weren't strong anyway. If somebody could not stop me from doing what I was doing, they weren't worth anything anyway. Basically, I made myself believe I was the standard for whether or not somebody had value, and this allowed me to feel superior. Surely, if you were smart/important/talented enough, this couldn't happen to you. Coupled with a keen insight and a quick wit, it was usually easy to get what I wanted, and any resistance was brushed away in a variety of ways, so my ego was justified in it's existence.

But that path only leads to frustration, and ultimately isolation. You can only burn your bridges so many times before you're stranded, with no way to leave the island you've made your home. Without anybody else to gain amusement from, you have no more distractions, and you're forced to face yourself... and often times, what you see is enough to snap you back into reality. For somebody who is so concerned with having the power to prevent mishaps, realizing I was enslaved to whims and emotions, is humbly sobering.

To answer your question, am I afraid of myself?

No.​

I know what I have done, and what I am capable of. Fear is not how I would describe my self-perception, it would be more akin to caution. To fear myself means shutting off parts of my being, for analyzing, for reflection, because there is a reason why I will not explore those aspects.

There is still quite a ways to go until comfort is reached, with myself, but there is no fear in that journey. Just a cautious concern about any potential speed bumps, that will be experienced on the road to self improvement.

If anything, I only fear failure here, because it means I was never worth redeeming anyway.

17. Lazuri

There have been times.

I used to roleplay a lot on various MMOs and I had a tendency to play villains. That in itself isn't so bad, but some of the ideas I came up with.... Let's just say it wasn't Saturday morning cartoon villainy. At times I wonder how I managed to come up with that stuff and, more importantly, how easily and quickly it came to me.

18. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No. I don't understand how I could be afraid of myself...

19. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    If you really were the feline in your avatar, then like this:

[​IMG]

Yes, sorry I know this is a serious topic, but I couldn't resist!

20. fleetwoodpacman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not afraid of myself, I just don't trust myself very much.
    I always think I'm going to ruin friendships/relationships, hurt people's feelings, disappoint my parents... I rarely expect anything good from myself.