1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humanity needs to wake up.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Yosia

This isn't going to be the most joyful thread so be warned. :3

-----------------

We live in a world where people are hurt for being different.
    We live in a world where people are hurt for liking something 'out of the norm'
    We live in a world where people don't think twice about hurting someone else
    We live in a world where people don't care about others in the slightest.
    We live in a world where people refuse to accept the truth: that the world is a mess.

On a daily basis I see 'evil' throughout this world, be it on the news or seeing it with my own eyes. People are getting bullied all the time - right now infact - yet we usually ignore it and tell them to get over it. This disgusts me. The slightest bit of bullying can affect someone forever, and cause emotional damage which can be unbearable - now imagine what serious bullying could do to someone. And it's not like bullying is a rare occurrence, it's happening all the time due to one simple reason: some people don't like diversity and difference.

It is not just bullying which is a huge problem. Horrific crimes happen regularly. People do not see how regular these crimes are because a lot of them go unnoticed, especially crimes such as abuse. People are abused more than society recognises, this is because abuse usually installs fear into the victim and the abuser will usually threaten the victim - therefore a lot of abuse goes unnoticed.

Abuse, however, I believe is one of the worst crimes out there. Once someone is abused, it will usually leave a mental scar which will always be there, leading to issues such as; low confidence/self esteem, depression, fear, regression of basic things. It can also lead to people ending their lives, running away from basic tasks, and a lot more damage is caused.
    Also: permanent physical damage can be inflicted in cases of physical abuse and sexual abuse and may lead to disabilities, infertility, damage to organs - sexual and non-sexual, and the list goes on and on.

What disgusts me is that people can actually do this to other adult human beings, and even worse - children.
    The worst part about this is that it goes unnoticed by society quite regularly.

We need to wake up and do something, seriously.

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    And humanity is far worse than what you described. xD

About waking up... It won't happen, period. We are by far the most cruel beings on Earth and that is part of who we are.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a good discussion to have. People walk around and think everything is alright with the world now but yet there much work to do. We live in such a divided world by race, religion, sexual orientation or even disability. High suicide rates, violent crime, and other problems are causing so much pain and more needs to done to stop it. Sadly most people don't think about these kind of problems until it happens to them and even after it happens to them they don't seem to care.

We need a powerful movement in this country especially where a lot of discrimination and hatred takes place and send a powerful message to those who spread hate that it won't be tolerated anymore. I am sick of hearing of the gay person who is stuck in a homophobic environment and is too the point of suicide. Not every person can afford to go to college and live a happy diverse life in a big city. We need something bigger and better than some "it gets better project." Words are nice but actions speak louder than words. We need to make every community a better place for minorities to live in.

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bullying does not even hold a candle to humanity's biggest flaws. Abuse is awful but still there are far worse things in humanity than that. These should be fixed but if we're talking about humanity as a whole, there are things that are far more important to worry about

5. Gandee

Gandee Guest

One baby step at a time.
    Now what brought about this topic?

6. Yosia

I'm starting to get bored of slow, baby steps to be fair.
    I have been holding rants like these in for quite a while to be fair, but my friend's sister was abused as a child and talking with her today made me post this.

7. randomly me

randomly me Guest

"every kind of cruelty we can imagine will be done somewhere on this planet because someone had the same idea but was less nice about it"

8. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Want to save the world ? Kill humans.

Governments, money, inequality, wars... All of those are proofs that Humanity failed. We ain't a race that can live together anymore. And we all are a result of this failure.

9. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's both true and horrifying. I also think you could turn that on it's head though. "Every act of kindness we can imagine will be done somewhere on this planet because someone had the same idea but wasn't afraid to act upon it."

The world can be a horrible place but it can also be beautiful and positive. We just have to strive to do the good things that make a difference.

10. MonsterAnarchy

my beliefs are solely based on peace; but even i know that its delusional to believe that everyone in this world will ever be peaceful. you know why? its BECAUSE of diversity. everyone is different and has their own beliefs. i understand what youre saying, and it saddens me, too, but the world is gonna stay ignorant because there are 6 or 7 billion ppl with different cultures, beliefs, morals, mental stability, and much more. it hurts knowing that this world is corrupt, but the best we can do is show others kindness, compassion, and love, regardless their race, culture, religion, beliefs, sexuality, background ect. the whole world wont change, but the people around us can.

11. kem

kem

We kill for pleasure. We value financial and material wealth too much. We destroy our environment. We don't invest enough in technologies that would benefit us as a whole.

12. randomly me

randomly me Guest

That made me smile ^^

Thanks

13. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We can't make the changes necessary to relieve these atrocities without reforming the present dogmas embedded in cultures. That will be tough to adjust and it will require pissing people off and being offensive.

14. kem

kem

Not to mention, it wouldn't stick. It would be kind of like what happened with alcohol prohibition laws.

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

The hatred of diversity and a desire for a communal "normal" is a left over from the primitive animals we share ancestry with.

It is disgusting, and I hope one day in the far off future (as it will not happen any time soon), humanity will evolve beyond such crude thinking.

However, those of us who are not like those primitive thinkers, must learn to live among them. You must not let their words affect you, if you are different, you must also be strong, for you will be met with hatred.

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I read a story about an Afghan woman who was beaten and kicked to death by a mob, set on fire, and then later thrown into a river for a false accusation against her.

Unfortunately, stuff like this has always happened and probably always will happen. Humanity is always going to be humanity. Ultimately I don't believe that human nature ever changes, not on a fundamental level at least.

17. randomly me

randomly me Guest

To quote from a comic (it's been 2or 3 years since i read it so the wording isn't exactly the same)

"there were soldiers that took newborns from their mothers and ate them in front of their eyes.do you still believe there is something good in this world?"

Yes.

"how can you say that after what i just told you?"

Because their mothers were crying.

18. Joelouis

Mankind simply won't accept the fact that the whole planet is screwed. We won't see it til it's way too late.
    Think of what people may have thought throughout the ages, that things would be better I. The future. Now here we are thinking the same, yet the future won't be better. I don't see a future as we hope it may be when we watch TV shows like Star Trek etc. I just see a dying planet.
    It's all our fault.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    One thing I feel I might bring to this discussion is a differing philosophical standpoint and some realism.
    Firstly. What most of you are presenting are so-called idealistic arguments. That is, philosophically idealist, meaning that you believe that ideas, formed in people's minds based on their free willl, are ultimately what determines those people's world-views and actions. That is certainly true, but the extent to which it is true is arguable. The opposing philosophical side is called materialism, which in terms of human psychology means that the way in which people interact with their environment including existing structures such as the patriarchy, is primarily what determines people's views.
    It's easy to flush hope down the drain sometimes. But I'll say this:
    1) History clearly shows that from the beginning of civilization, we've largely gone wrong, wrong, wrong, intentionally or (mostly, I would say) unintentionally forming terrible structures such as slave society, partiarchy, etc.
    2) However, history also provides a glimmer of optimism in me. For example, regardless of your political opinion, most people would agree that a completely class-less, state-less, egalitarian, free, open and caring society would be really cool. But then you think "oh well, I remember Lenin all too well, that didn't go too well, did it?", but often forget the roots of Lenin - ordinary people, fed up with starvation, oppressive monarchy and erosion of personal freedom in France. The history books of our time often skim over the fact that this egalitarian was a real, fore-seeable possibility, when that movement was extremely strong, without any Lenins etc.
    3) There are massive movements out on the streets at this moment, fighting for the rights of LGBTQ people, fighting bullying, fighting the institutionalization of children, fighting poverty, etc.

As Yosia said, "I'm starting to get bored of slow, baby steps to be fair." This is actually quite a normal thought, and I totally feel you.
    It is easy to feel powerless in this world, especially when you're different. But please, for the sake of yourselves as much as for the world, keep faith. It might sound cliche, but hope's never gone till you admit it is.
    Love to you all from a newbie here <3

20. Stripe101

Tis the way of humanity.
    Instead of trying to fix the world, why don't we just drink away the pain like real adults?

[​IMG]