1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality and the Bible

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Outlier, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Outlier

I came across this (and this is not the first place I've seen this information, but this is the most in-depth and broken-down that I've seen it) and I thought I'd share it. It's a very interesting and insightful read.

This is what I believe is true, but many don't. I'm just sharing a resource. I'm not posting this to change anyone's mind, because that is impossible. So, please don't start a debate here.

Home - Hope Remains: Homosexuality and the Bible

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a good read!

3. fragileflame

This is a really cool website, a great thing for people who come out to their christian parents to share with them! Thanks for posting!

4. Justinian20

This is a nice website, very informative for all Christians and also is a great resource for LGBT Christians who wish to share this information with ill informed parents.

5. MisterTinkles

The thing about the Bible is, it's been rewritten so many billions of times over, nobody really knows what the original really said.

Every time its rewritten, words get changed, sentences get added or cut, and paragraphs get reshaped.

So, for all any of us living in the here and now know, the Bible could have been a propaganda tool for pure evil.

Oh, wait.......it still is.

6. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To each their own.

7. tscott

Thanks for sharing. Though I am familiar with many of these ideas it is good to review them again.

8. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Outlier, I have to be completely honest with you. As a Christian who struggles with homosexual attractions myself, I have studied the matter deeply. I've seen these arguments before, and I honestly cannot buy into them. They require way too much gymnastics and a way too many leaps of logic to make the Bible say something other than it really does. It should not be that hard or require that much effort to debunk what the Bible says about homosexuality being a sin. In my estimation, homosexuality is clearly defined as sin in the Bible. Now, no one has to believe or accept that, and I won't judge anyone whose beliefs differ from my own. But I just think we as Christians need to be honest with ourselves when it comes to the Bible, even when it comes to the parts of the Bible we don't like. Instead of trying to change the Bible to fit our lives, I think we should be trying to change our lives to fit the Bible. If not, it loses all authority to guide us.

9. Outlier

But that's just it. It isn't trying to change the Bible, it's getting back to the ACTUAL writing and showing what went wrong in translation. Like I said first, I won't try to change anyone's mind. When it comes to these things, if your mind is set, it's set. It really just comes down to trust. 1. Can you trust these people who CAN read the original language to tell the truth about the translation? 2. Can you trust that the translators in the past didn't accidentally and at times purposefully change things?
    Those are questions you have to answer for yourself. For me, I don't trust that the translators were completely honest. Just look at the church's history. There are so many times they twisted and used religion to control people and for their own agendas. It's not a stretch to believe they would do the same in their translations (for me). So I can believe what these people who are going back to look say.

10. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a christian but I don't take the bible word for word because it was written by man

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice site.

It is a pity that fanatics ignore the studies about the translation of the book just to back up their prejudice (even if most of the times, this is done without thinking about it), without even trying to consider another point of view, inside their own religion, and that has strong back up.

Really, a pity.

12. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Responding to Zane7's comment. Christianity is one of many religions. As I was standing and reflecting at a Buddhist shrine in Thailand, a man standing next to me, said, Christianity is a desert religion, young and still evolving. At a tea house he told me about Buddhism which fosters acceptance and love.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IT is but sadly there is no way to change their minds even though it is well done research and organization it still does nothing to them. TI is like the need to hate and divide people gives them more pleasure than reality. I am not attacking Zane7 with that comment I am just talking about homophobic christians in general. I don't deny things in the bible to make myself feel good and I wouldn't deny homosexuals acts were a sin if I truly believed that.

14. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Outlier, you are right. It comes down to trust. I trust that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, and I trust that God was present during its various translations throughout history. If God could get the inspired words down through his agents, then He could also maintain the sanctity of those words during the translation process.

15. Outlier

The church is rife liars and horrible people who end up leading multitudes, sometimes for a very long time. If God wanted to control how his people were lead he wouldn't have let those people gain positions like that. But the truth is he does let those things happen. Free will is a double-edged sword. A lot of the early church leaders around the time of the English translations were like this. God warns about adding to the Bible. If it were not possible for anyone to accomplish such a thing, he wouldn't have needed to warn against it.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This why i don't believe in any kind of church however I do have respect for some ministers and their churches who speak the truth. I think we are better off doing the real research ourselves. Like I said before I don't deny things in the bible to make myself feel good it is because I believe alternative evidence and take it to heart.

17. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1 Timothy 3:16 says all Scripture (ALL of it) is God-breathed and inspired by the Holy Spirit. I believe that when it comes to the Bible, God did not allow humans to tamper with his message. Many surely tried, but I don't think their contributions ever made it into final scriptural canon. God himself is equated His Word in John 1. God is not going to allow humans to corrupt His message to mankind. He might as well allow them to corrupt His very nature. If we cannot trust the Bible, then we are a sad people indeed.

18. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whether or not the bible is homophobic, the people who wrote it would have been as it was written centuries ago. Tbh it's says lots of shit in the bible that people ignore. If your going to be a christian you might as well be one of those nice Christians who believe in the principles of Jesus like giving to the poor etc... Instead of taking every verse as law and trying to promote bronze age values.
    (I tried to make this as least offensive as possible, please don't ban me from this thread)

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2015 at 06:32 PM ----------

There is many assumptions there:

1). The bible is the word of god.
    2). People can understand god's message.
    3). God cared about how it was translated.
    4). People listened to God.
    5). People didn't change what god told them.
    6). People who did not hear God change the text after it was written.
    etc....

and if you trust that god stop all of these. Why? Why would he?

#18 gibson234, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  19. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing about any English version of the bible. All of them word the sentences differently. Wouldn't that be enough to question it's accuracy. I think it would. The point is not whether we question how God's word it is that we question man's interpretation of God's word.

Anyway whether homosexual sins is a sin or not we have to think of how educated people were back than on issues relating to women and homosexuals. If something does not seem natural to them they may be have been biased towards it. Christianity is a complex subject and and honestly it would takes years of debate and study that we probably would be gone by the time we succeeded. Another truth is there are so many old testament laws out there that it would be easy for anyone to break them. Another question would be why is homosexual acts not included in the ten commandments if God really condemned those acts would they be in there.

20. Zane7

Zane7 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dano, wording a statement in a different and completely subverting the original message are two totally different things. You say people back then were less educated than they were today, and you imply that scriptural truth could've suffered because of that deficit. The problem with that mindset, however, is that it focuses first on man's influence on scripture while marginalizing God's. There is no denying that imperfect people penned the Bible, but the miracle is that God was able to work perfectly through imperfect people via the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. If we can say that the Bible is flawed in regards to homosexuality then such faith becomes a slippery slope where the Bible can be made to say anything with a little maneuvering. That kind of wishy-washy faith just doesn't sound appealing to me.