1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much has LGBT phobia from religion, the media, and society affect you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SonicBoom, Mar 23, 2015.

?

How much has LGBT phobia from religion, the media, and society affect you?

1. A LOT

26.4%
  2. A FAIR amount

35.8%
  3. A LITTLE

24.5%
  4. None at all.

13.2%
  1. SonicBoom

I voted not at all.

I grew up in a Catholic household. It never bothered me personally that homosexuality was a sin in Catholic teaching.

Homophobia from the media and society didn't bother me either.

How about you?

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catholic household, never attempted to think for myself. Between parents, the media, catholic teaching, and my own resistance, I was an arsehole.

3. RainDreamer

It makes me feel like sometimes I am better dead to not deal with all of that when I come out.

4. PurpleGrey

All of the above made it very hard to accept my orientation.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up around Southern Baptists. I disagreed with their teachings even when I went to their church, but it still affected me a bit, especially since they can be so hateful. Now, I can't care less what religion, media or society thinks of me.

6. SocceRoo

I said a fair amount only because it affected me a lot when i was too young to form my own opinion and these things where the only sources of information about LGBT that were available.
    Although, now it doesn't affect me at all.

7. guitar

When I was younger & far more susceptible to peer pressure I would say a lot. Enough to keep me in the closet longer than I ought to have been. Today it's less so, partially because I consume less media.

8. Yosia

I personally have not experienced too much hate and discrimination. However hearing stories of other people experiencing it have affected me a bit.

9. C P

C P

I chose 'fair amount'.

It's one of things that has made me feel - if society basically hates me, and my family is a bunch of homophobic asswipes, then who do I have? Exactly; nobody.

The only thing stopping me from saying 'a lot' is the fact that I've always had my suspicions about religion (for various reasons; it only -sealed my disconnection- from it), the media is so full of nonsense that it's hard to take it seriously often enough, and I've always been more of a loner, so society...yeah, not exactly a priority a lot of the time.

I guess being a loner has helped to cope with it a bit, actually...

10. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What exactly is meant by "LGBT phobia"?

If you meant the widespread homophobia present in religion, media and society and how it affects me, then it has none.
    Firstly, I'm an agnostic -- leaning towards atheist -- and the media seems to be pretty "Westernised" in its trotting around LGBT issues. Society, well, just keep it shut and you'll avoid the consequences, homophobic opinions and the like at most costs. It's when you come out where you may need to be a bit careful; but even if you do come out, it's becoming less and less of a problem in contemporary society.

11. Jellal

It's been pervasive enough that I felt like total fucking freak for half a dozen years or so. And I'm still working on not feeling like that. I honestly hope that most of the time I'm just paranoid about how much other people are going to care. I would be relieved if they didn't give two shits about my gender and just let me go on my way instead of laughing or grilling me with questions. I just get panicky when I think about the worst case scenarios—violent cases where my life might get cut short. I'll be so so happy if I learn most of this is just in my head, a bunch of internalized fear from the unfortunate rare incidents across the country

12. thatsme

Out Status:
    A few people
    It makes me angry when I hear LGBT phobic remarks but I try to ignore them. As for religious people they're the reason I can't come out, most of the them think gay people should be beheaded.

13. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it kept me in the closet for about twenty years so yeah it affected me a lot.
    But it was from the socially aspect of life.
    Nowadays it don't affect me that much but there's still a small amount of fear and of thinking how other people will react.
    I'm learning to deal with it but it takes time and i only recently came out to some people, so we'll see.
    Time will tell but i am proud to be myself now and stopped hiding myself.

From religious point of view it's much more simple, i'm a wiccan and in the wiccan community its accepted to be different, there's no lgbt issue at all, everyone is equal regardless gender or sexual preference.
    When i was younger i was raised protestant but at the age of 15 i openly rejected it, it was not the thing i could really believe in.

14. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I voted: "a lot".

I grew up not only in a catholic household, but in a catholic country, and whilst homophobia did not affect me outwardly- I did not suffer overt abuse because of it, heterosexism and heterosexist/homophobic culture affected me very deeply.

I was not aware of same-sex relationships, or attractions, or homosexuality in any other way, apart from "those dirty perverts who meet in that disgusting park"- it was scary, dirty and not something you'd want to think about, especially at the time when HIV was in the media a lot (90s).
    I was attracted to the same sex since an early age, but my mother must have caught it somehow, and chastised me each time she suspected I was interested in a picture or film etc because it had sexy woman in it- hence I grew up without ever knowing that same sex attraction was 1) acceptable, and 2) it had anything to do with being in a relationship- I just never got that far as thinking about it, because it my world it did not exist, only straight relationships existed.

I strongly believe that if I grew up in todays world, exposed to the concept of same-sex relationships I'd have saved myself years of coming out and turmoil.

15. Leko1321

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I voted a Fair bit because it has scared me into not coming out to my family. With all of these elements combined, it can become a possible safety hazard to come out. I have come out to friends and I am happy with that decision, but society in general has ruined many things, and the lives of queer teens shouldn't be one of them

16. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really care about what people think of me in the end... But when half your family is muslim and your grandfather/uncle are christians... Errrrrrrrrrrrh... It may quickly become problematic, thus I know already that I'll have to hide it from them for a long time...

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot. Get attacked by Christians for being LGBT. I feel attacked by LGBT people that I am Christian. Can't win for losing.

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it affected me quite a bit before I came out. I tried to kill myself my senior year in high school. Of course that was a long time ago and times were different. The odd thing is that it really hasn't affected me much at all since I came out--all that fear for nothing.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I put a lot because of my church

20. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot! I actually had suicidal thoughts just because of this! I am surrounded my homophobic people (yes, my family and relatives) and heard some homophobic comments from priests (since I am Catholic). And also, gays here in the Philippines are considered jokes both in society and media. People ALWAYS love making fun of us. I dont like to be treated that way.