1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there countries you DON'T want to visit?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Mar 24, 2015.

1. lemons123

...Inspired by the other thread: "which country do you want to visit".

Please no hateful replies...e.q.: "I don't want to visit Iran because they s*ck".
    Just share opinion in a polite manner :wink:.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any country in the middle east.

3. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whole Africa and countries of the Middle East (except Israel). :slight_smile:

4. lemons123

hmmm you "stole the words from my mouth".
    I was just going to reply to Dano128 above that Israel is in the middle east and it's one of my favorite countries...but you beat me with 5 seconds or so lol...

5. PossumJack

Russia
    I mean, it sounds like a really cool place but the state of LGBT rights over there means I'll probably be beat up or arrested at some point if I ever do visit it.

6. ffxii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Israel is really beautiful and Hebrew is sexy. d:

7. lemons123

My $0.02:

1. Russia
    2. turkey & all other Muslim countries
    3. the UK

I know #no 3 sounds 'shocking', especially since I am from eastern europe and portion/most british politicians are convinced that all eastern europeans want to move to the UK but frankly I've never been huge fan of Britain. Even the english language I learned from...2pac and mike tyson interviews lol 0_0.

To all the people who will say North Korea or Africa: I'd love to go there if anything just to try helping the people over there, with whatever I can.

8. LaEsmeralda

India, Egypt and any of those rich middle eastern countries like the United Arab Emirates, Qatar etc.

Cannot for the life of me understand why people fork out bloody fortunes to go Dubai. Everything about it looks fake, expensive and soulless.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any country that punishes homosexual acts.

10. Hizaki

There are plenty of places that don't make me jump out of my seat, but I'd go anywhere someone gives me a ticket to.

Except Sweden

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol i actually thought israel was in Africa my mistake. I really meant to say no where in the middle east besides Israel.

12. lemons123

I've been there but...was young & dumb at the time, so yeah I'm kinda ashamed of myself that I've contributed even 1$ to a country with such a conservative system.

And yes, I don't get it either...Tom Cruise, David Beckham, Donald Trump etc. all have thrown millions at dubai - nicely helping a country that imprisons girls over a kiss and censors internet:

Couple jailed for a year for kissing on Dubai beach... despite male defendant claim he was giving friend CPR when she suffered asthma attack | Daily Mail Online

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2015 at 04:15 PM ----------

Hmm sorry, didn't get if you meant that you will visit Sweden no matter what or you wouldn't? 0_0

In any case I doubt it's such a bad country. Perhaps overrated...who knows, or a little too cold for my taste. But what have they done history-wise to annoy somebody? Other than invading norway...but it was like ages ago...

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Most Middle Eastern countries. Except Egypt because it's ancient culture is fascinating.

Also most countries excluding South Africa and Egypt (again).

14. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I can't say there are any countries I wouldn't want to visit. Sure, some are higher on my list than others, but they all have something to offer. My own safety (as well as other factors) plays a role in which countries I do visit, but not which countries I want to visit.

[​IMG]

Now I'm a very mad Viking!
    I'm not mad.

15. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same thing, except South Africa. (I would actually like to visit there).

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really interested in Russia right now, with its attitude toward LGBT people.

Countries of violence and upheaval like Yemen, Nigeria, Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Syria I could steer clear of.

I used to live in Senegal, so I have no opposition to going to Africa, but if it's one of the countries where Muslim extremists are at it, I think I'll avoid it.

17. LaEsmeralda

I don't even mind the conservative thing - it's located slap bang right in the Middle East so that's to be expected. It's just the fact that it's so... materialistic.

I mean, people spend like thousands of £££ on the plane tickets to get there, the hotels they're going to stay in, the restaurants they eat at, all the shopping 'amazing malls' they have out there... And they could literally do all of this in their own country! I mean, Dubai really has nothing unique to offer except the opportunity to fling all your money down a black hole. 'The most expensive cocktails in the world', 'the only seven star hotel in the world', 'best shopping mall in the world' - money, money, money, money. It has no particular historical significance and the culture - as you say - is repressive at the very least. Why not just go to Spain and drink cocktails and stay in a fancy hotel? It's the exact same experience, and people would save like a billion quid.

It's been marketed to us like some kind of utopia but it's just a trap to suck up your money. I know I got into a rant here but this is what is so wrong with our society :lol: 'Oh look, Posh and Becks went to Dubai and stayed in the most expensive hotel in the world! We should too!' 'Uh, why? It's going to cost us our whole life's savings...' 'Cause it must be great if they're doing it!' Ugh....

18. Hizaki

Phalange + Lemons123

Only joking, I'd love Sweden and its people; I bet they're great like the rest of the world.

But then there's Australia

#18 Hizaki, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  19. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hunter S. Thompson compared Dubai to Vegas, saying both cities are the epitome of decadence. It's kind of true. Having been to both, though, Vegas seems more like a normal city in most regards with the exception of one street (Las Vegas Boulevard). Dubai's old section seems like a regular middle eastern city, but the new stuff is just one giant playground for rich people and its main appeal, like that of Vegas, is how much money you can throw away there.

20. lemons123

Well their attempts to drag more tourists is by building the tallest building in the world + man-made islands + burj dubai whose only advantage is being the most expensive hotel in the world. And movies like mission impossible or the next fast and furious make it even more popular.

but still...they're muslim country with notable lack of freedom of speech.
    It's also impossibly hot during the summer.