1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get everybody online?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Mar 25, 2015.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think everyone should be persuaded to get online? Are people just making excuses for not using the internet?

A newspaper report suggested we should give people a hefty push if they are not using the internet and refuse to accept any excuses.

What do you think? Have you tried to cajole, or otherwise push people into using the internet? Is there anyone who you'd rather not see online?

Most of the people I know who don't use the internet are technology averse. It's not just the internet for them, but computers generally + mobile phones, tablets, kindles, digital cameras etc. I really don't see how it's possible to give someone that push.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is valuable to have as many people as possible online, especially as regards the provision of services. It would have negative outcomes on many if we were to punish or neglect those who do not do so, however. I also don't think it's really necessary for everyone to be online, but everyone should certainly have the opportunity to access the internet.

I would be furious to learn that my grandmother faced an inability to access services because she deals with all correspondence on paper; a woman who has lost her ability to speak multiple languages due to dementia, who can no longer recall how many years have passed since when she might have seen her children merely weeks after their last visit, cannot be expected to simply pick up technology she is unfamiliar with when it's such a struggle to deal with the world she already knows. What use would it be to her, to have something she could not navigate? I have no doubt that many elderly would be in the same position.

It is also difficult, I imagine, to be in poverty and be a regular user of the internet for many. They, too, would be disadvantaged if we neglected non-internet services. It would be all very well for a 17 year old with no financial disadvantage to criticise others for not having the same access.

Offline services will naturally be phased out should they prove irrelevant or in insufficient demand. But perhaps it'd be better to artificially keep some alive for the sake of the few who can't be connected.

3. RainDreamer

I prefer to just let people choose whether they want to do it or not. They will decide for themselves if they are missing out or not.

4. White Knight

Internet is where the majority of knowledge is. For me internet/google is my best friend who can answer any stupid trivial thing I wonder... and I wonder so many weird things...

I encourage young people to use internet for accessing knowledge instead of doing stupid things on facebook or using it only for playing games.

5. tulipinacup

I refuse because I like that I am this computer genius in our home.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I first started using the internet in 1996 (this was the year it really took off with the general public), remember Netscape or AltaVista? :grin:

Even then, I knew this thing was going to be huge.

I have basically stopped reading newspapers (who needs the sports pages anyway?...Yes, I'm gay), the days of scattershot (and in this fast-paced world, dated) information delivered to your door every morning, at huge cost in energy and forests, are numbered.

Provided certain conditions are met, such as net neutrality, this technology could be a force for strengthening democracy, and since every adult in a democracy is a potential voter, every such person should be online.

7. Jellal

I'm a believer in freedom. Technically this includes the freedom to remain ignorant. Besides, the way I see it, there are lots of people online who are ignorant dickheads ... it's all up to the individual and what they do with the resources they access. I think you can still find ways to learn without being connected to the internet. I won't judge someone for wanting to remain unconnected.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do... Remember Napster? :badgrin: Or This?

I knew the net was going to grow, but not so wildly. To say exponential grow feels almost like an understatement.

The complexity of what is going on at the backstage, technically speaking, is mind blowing... For a normal user, on the other hand, it is not that hard to get by.

I met everyday people who is allergic, and I don't have nothing against them, not everybody needs to be a mechanic to drive a car, ok?

Now, should everybody be online? ... What do you mean with that? Do you mean that everybody should have his own web, or facebook profile, and live there? Then my answer is no... I think we are missusing technology.

If the true question is... Should everybody be able to use it as a tool? Then my answer is obviously yes. The more knowledge we've got, the better. We do need this technology to spread for hundreds of reasons.

I wouldn't be quick in quitting jobs that have to do with paperwork. The older generations can't deal with tech that good, and besides there is the question of protecting personal data and so on. Not everybody wants their data online, for whatever reason, and we should respect their personal choices.

9. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really agree with this because I think people should have the choice if they want to make use of technology. We live in a wonderful world where people should choose what they want to do

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people should be encouraged to use the internet, just not punished if they don't obey that. It's such a handy tool. For example, I can order most of my shopping weekly, so I save time and money. Plus it's helpful to have easy access to more knowledge, like others have said.

11. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't think we should tell anyone what to do with their spare time, the internet isn't essential to life and there is no reasons why it should be. Just let people be who they are.

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm really confused here, why does it matter whether people are on the Internet or not? Like how does that affect anyone? I really do not see where this is coming from or why the number of people online matters in any way

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. And the merits of Internet use are debatable...

14. Quiet Raven

My dad has stated numerous times that he has absolutely no interest in learning how to use a computer and he is perfectly happy without it.

I don't see a problem with that. Why should I try to push it on him?

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who the hell are we to say everyone should use this or that bit of technology??

Should everyone use a Surface? Should we find ways to cajole them into it? Shall we do it through tax incentives, or should we fine those who don't have one?

In the 90's we didn't even ask the question "should everyone have cable TV?" Or "should everyone have satellite TV?"

In the 60's I don't think we asked the question "should everyone have a TV?"

Waaaaaaaaaaay back, I don't think we asked "should everyone listen to the radio?"

Suppose you decided everyone should use the internet. Do you also mandate their connection speed? How many hours a day they spend online? Must they visit a certain number of sites to make you happy? Per day/week/month? Shall we fine everyone who doesn't have at least a cable connection, and visit at least 3 sites per week?

In short, wtf is up with this suggestion?

Should everyone have a Facebook page? A Twitter account? With at least 3 tweets a day?

I think that people who feel they can get along without the internet are avoiding a crapload of wasted time, and I commend them.

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering that I'm basically addicted to the internet, there are times I wish I had never known about it. No I don't think we need to get everyone on the internet. You should still be able to live a normal life without using it.

17. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Well this is ridiculous. You can't get most senior citizens to use the Internet. Also poor people

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why everyone who posted is down and out about getting online. Yeah this post seems kind of random but hey if it wasn't for the internet I might of not of accepted myself as a gay person or established supportive connections. I might be dead if it wasn't thanks to the internet and all resources and support i got. Everyone should get online I don't any offense to that. It beats driving to a library or somewhere else when you can get information online.

19. Quiet Raven

Yes, it helped you. And countless others. But why should anyone be forced to go online if they don't want to? If they are prefectly happy without it?

20. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm guessing that as PatrickUK is the OP it was a UK newspaper, in which case this type of article would not be a strange subject in the slightest. Just a bit of background for those who who don't know:

Over here we have this delusional disgusting sadistic monstrous bully that wants poor children to starve despite claiming a fortune on expenses himself yet is somehow still not in prison politician called Iain Duncan Smith who dreamed up a system by which anyone claiming 'Universal Credit' (something which is planned to eventually replace all working-age welfare benefits, housing benefits and tax credits) will have to use an online system that requires frequent secure internet access, as well as the ability to use a computer (and most likely own one as they'd be entering very sensitive information not suitable for public access computers).

If these plans as they stand go ahead, what this essentially means is that anyone who cannot access the internet for some reason; like those who simply don't know how, or are too poor to afford the costs of computer+bills, those in places that can't get securely connected, someone with a mental/physical/sensory disability that prevents them from using a pc etc, could very quickly be left with no access to vital financial assistance. And all because the government wants to 'modernise' without a care for the consequences.

Though the flagship Universal Credit has been pretty much in hot water since the word go and the reliable IT system that would be required to roll it out nationwide is consistently proving to be little more than a pipedream, the UK government is still pushing to force people online whether they want to/can access the internet or not. For example unemployed people are now required to use a website to do job searches or face having their welfare benefits stopped. There was a news piece a while back about a man in his 50s who had lost his job, he had never used a computer before in his life and certainly couldn't afford one, so he had been left with nothing. Sad thing is he was actually eager to learn but had no means of doing so.

Getting back to the main question:

Making technology and the internet as accessible as possible for anyone who should wish to use it is a good thing. But nobody should be FORCED to get online, especially those who struggle with it. The internet is a tool, a useful one but not essential, nor should things be structured in such a way that it becomes so as this would lead to a lot of unnecessary problems.

Aussie792 made a good point that nobody should be punished or neglected simply because they don't use it. His post sums it up pretty well actually. (Welcome back btw Aussie :smilewave ).