1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fosters teenage gay kiss

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Psaurus918, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Psaurus918

I'm not sure if this was posted here before or not. I've never seen the show but heard about the controversy surrounding this scene where 2 teen boys end up kissing each other. I guess in a different episode they were holding hands at the movies despite each of them bringing girls.

I decided to look up the scene and watch it for myself and think it's incredibly cute and hits close to home in past experiences I've had. As you can imagine this has gained tons of hate saying the actors are too young to make the decision of same sex kissing others say it's wrong to use teens to spread "the gay agenda"

My question is what do you guys think? I grew up in the 90s and remember kids/teens (boy and girl) kissing each other on the cheek and people thinking it was cute, of course TV has gotten a lot edgier since then. Do you guys think now is the right time for 2 same sex teens to kiss? Or do you think kids under 16 shouldn't kiss on screen regardless of sexuality?

Here's the link to the scene. You can also find the movie theater scene on YouTube.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSyCNVwH-9Y

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My friend watches that show and she said they were really cute. I don't watch TV but I'm glad to know that homosexuality is coming up more often.

3. Alive

they were not that young. i thought the kiss was cute

4. newfish

No one freaks out when straight kids of the same age kiss. Since we've determined that people can't just be converted to another sexual orientation, it shouldn't be a problem that the actors kissed.

5. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wait, so am I part of "the gay agenda"? :lol: I must admit I feel pretty badass now.

There was another scene where Connor made out with a girl (this was before the gay kiss) and no one made a fuss about that, I'm sure. Compared to that, the kiss with Jude was pretty harmless.

I thought their kiss was incredibly cute so I of course didn't mind it. It would make me uncomfortable if they did something sexual, though (obviously because of their age, not their sexuality).

Here's Connor kissing the girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIrmCVdT3k

On second thought I don't know if that kiss would be classified as "making out", but regardless it was more "sexual" than the kiss with Jude.

#5 ellyy, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. AKTodd

Hmph. Given that THIS is now showing on American television at 10 pm, the scene from The Fosters is downright mild (and I agree, it is cute:slight_smile:).

And as newfish correctly points out, teenagers (or actors playing teenagers) are exchanging straight kisses (some quite passionate) routinely on TV on everything from sitcoms to adult dramas and no one bats an eye.

Todd

7. The Wallflower

I saw it. I love The Fosters, and I think it was awesome that they kissed. I've seen younger straight kids in movies kiss before, so why not them? Adorable.

8. nohalos

I've fangirled over a gif of their conversation on Tumblr. (I believe it was the scene where they first got to be partners for a project.)

And then I saw their kiss on YouTube. I say it's about damn time this happened. So sick of seeing straight kisses on TV. They give me the heebee-jeebies! (I'm kidding.)

But jokes aside, I think it's a pretty ballsy move as some parents will be outraged but it's high time this happened on TV. Connor's pretty hot, though........

9. Psaurus918

I can't wait for the new season to start just so I can see where their relationship is going!

10. NicoC123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my favorite show it was amazing, but since then the story line has almost completely dissipated

11. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean I would not agree to have any kids kiss regardless of they were gay or straight kissing. HOWEVER, I doubt they would have forced these kids to do it without consenting. I am sure they agreed to do it it (maybe they even secretly liked it).
    I also think that we need to look at it from a different perspective. Acting is an art form just like in the visual arts people draw live nude figure models, photograph nudes for the sake of art and so forth. Performance art is really no different and I am sure that these kids see it that way too. Actors and actresses kiss each other all the time.
    Even if you wanted to look at it differently, teen actors and actresses have kissed in the movies before. I am not sure how old those Twilight folks were when the movie was filmed but I would imagine that they weren't very old.

12. guitar

I just watched the scene now. Very cute. The entire arc of that episode really was like looking into a crystal ball and seeing several snapshots of my early first gay experiences.

And to anyone who uses the term "gay agenda," they can F off. Imagine that, showing two gay teens go through that awkward first love phase in a way almost all teens go through....

#12 guitar, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  13. Distant Echo

Never seen the show...now I'm going to have to..

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually just got hooked on this show a few months ago...but I think it was cute...I remember being younger around their characters age and kissing a girl. I think many younger people do question their sexuality and seeing it on tv can help make it less scary and confusing knowing that they aren't the only ones.

I know one of the boys from the show was interviewed and they went over the scene before filming it with both the teens and their parents and the boys were both fine with it and understood it was just their character...however I have to admit it was adorable and I believe it was the youngest gay kiss on tv so far

15. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I heard about that although I don't watch the show. To answer your original question, I think it's absolutely the right time! It's things that may seem to push the envelope like this that get the world more used to it. It's sad that gay males don't seem to be as represented as gay females in tv, especially teenagers. Or at least they don't have scenes that are serious and real like that. So yay! I'm so glad the Fosters did that.