1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 Questions That Awaken The Real You

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by duende84, Mar 26, 2015.

1. duende84

I found this article very interesting - 24 Questions That Awaken The Real You

2. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for sharing this article duende84 :slight_smile:

3. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Annnnnd now... I'm depressed

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I don't need this kind of thing as I do prioritise myself and do what I want without caring about others already.

5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I feel I have to say something here about the article. Firstly thank you to the OP who posted it as it is interesting to read, what I'm about to say refers to the article itself and is not directed at you whatsoever.

I acknowledge that the questions encourage some potentially positive approaches, which may well be helpful to certain people in certain situations, I don't want sound pessimistic or bring a downer onto these good points.

However:
    It also does something which is a particular bugbear of mine: assuming that the person is entirely to blame for their situation or lack of advancement, without giving consideration to circumstances, disadvantages or responsibilities. You see this lazy type of "it's your own fault whatever happens" attitude creep up in places. And it is both unfair and untrue.

Don't get me wrong, there are many people for whom the advice is very sound and sensible, if it actually is yourself that's the only thing holding you back. For those who need a little push in the right direction because the only thing stopping them is their own reluctance. I just think advice, in this case in the form of life questions are far healthier when there is a balance between considering what one wants and what is feasible. Telling someone that they can and should achieve anything is sometimes just as bad advice as telling them they are powerless.

6. duende84

Well, I am preaching to the choir as is. I still cannot must up the courage to come out to my parents. So yeah.