1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misconceptions about Bisexuality/Pansexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MysteriousMadam, Mar 27, 2015.

1. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It kind of came across my mind since I'm bisexual...and I included pansexuality because I personally don't think it's all that different from bisexuality.
    I feel like very few people understand bisexuality and pansexuality. I'm not just talking about straight people, I also mean the gay community as well. I watched this video where lesbians react to bisexual girls and it kind of made me sad. They were saying that they wouldn't ever be with a bisexual girl "since she had a dick in her mouth last week" and because she's "still in the closet but confused". I'd understand how they would maybe prefer another lesbian over a bisexual, because I would personally prefer someone who kind of leaned both ways like me, but I didn't like how they were closing off bisexuals completely just because they also liked guys. There was also a version with gay guys reacting to bisexual guys but it was a bit more exaggerated to show the stupidity or microagressions within the comments. Then with pansexuality, I honestly know some people who think that it means you're attracted to pans...:tears: along with that, I've also heard people who think that it just means you're too "lustful" and "promiscuous" or that you just want everybody...it's kind of alarming really.
    What are your opinions or views on this? Do you think its a genuine lack of understanding or people just being inconsiderate, because I kind of think there's a difference between the two. Bisexuals and pansexuals, how do you feel about this? Have you ever been told any of this kind of stuff? Is this just a mental state or has there been a way bipohobia and panphobia (?) have been expressed physically (other than the numerous murders, rapes, and suicides of everyone in the community that the world always ignores...) I've experienced something similar to what I wrote about, I'll tell you later. This is kind of rushed, but I'm just really tired. Along with that, since I started it with T, B, and P, I'm going to create other threads dedicated to the other groups represented in the acronym LGBTQIAP+.
    Thanks lovelies! Have a great day :slight_smile:

2. I've posted this in a thread I started, but here goes:

This video sums up the misconceptions and stereotypes of bisexuality quite perfectly.

[YOUTUBE]YHwdLZldThU[/YOUTUBE]

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

i only know that according to wikipedia 50% of humanity is actually bi but doesn't realize/act on it due to social expectations...huh....

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree. Bisexuals have the hardest time fitting in anywhere.

In my experience, lesbians are by far the most hateful and they justify their hate because THEY live in a society where they feel forced to be with men and that "being with a man" is more "real/valid" than being with a woman is. I cannot justify it, but it is sad when people are brought to this conclusion to which they choose to take their anger out on others.

Not to mention that these same lesbians who act this way would never ever ever date another lesbian who has touched a man either. It's more so hetero/malephobia at best (though It's not to say they shouldn't be avoided).

5. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It sucks :/
    We're too gay to be straight, but too straight to be gay. Even among the gay community, we're outcasts :/

And pansexuals... well, we're just hipsters trying to prove something as far as some Bi people think, so we don't even get accepted by other multisexuals a lot of the time.
    The same thing happens with Bi people getting shunned by pansexuals :/

We're all in the same damned boat, why can't people stop rocking the ship?

#5 ForNarnia, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On this forum, I have had some experience with hatred of bisexuality and bisexuals. I have experienced this from people coming from the following groups:

Monosexuals: Some gay men and lesbians have offered the view that I personally

1) Enjoy "straight passing privilege" even though I have experienced street harassment because of my sexual orientation, including misgendering-based homophobia, and threats of violence,

2) Am inherently untrustworthy even though I have repeatedly offered philosophical defenses of monogamy, and

3) Am insufficiently invested in political outcomes for the LGBT community even though I have repeatedly expressed the view that discrimination against the LGBT community is part of the matrix of sexist violence.

It is also my experience in this community that when a monosexual has been hostile about multisexuality, that person has much more often been a lesbian than a gay man.

Pansexuals: Some pansexuals have offered the view that

1) They are entitled to define my sexuality for me, even though I have told them repeatedly who I like, and that

2) My sexuality is inherently cissexist even though I am transfeminine myself, have expressed interest in dating people of many genders including nonbinary people, and I have offered philosophical defenses of transgender people, their civil, political and human rights, as well as access to transition care.

Unfortunately, I am unable to document when members do this.

~ Adrienne

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Anyone could write anything on Wikipedia.....

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya, and then it can get immediately reverted for not having a citation from a relevant, recognized authority. That anyone can write anything on Wikipedia doesn't make it a poor source for secondary research.

9. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I remember editing this page on Wikipedia just to see if I could (but then I changed it back) and then getting sent an angry message from a Wikipedia editor. It was kind of scary but they are very serious about sources and being credible, contrary to most people's opinions.