1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brideshead revisited the movie - Bi triangle??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aussie paul, Nov 15, 2008.

1. aussie paul

Hi all, I've just been to see the movie, 'brideshead revisited' . It seems to be a love story involving a man, charles and his Uni mate / boyfriend - sebastian, and seb's sister.
    I related to Charles in certain ways. What did you think of it?
    Paul

2. Peter

The story is definitely about the love story between the two men. I believe the sister is only included as an excuse as the closest he can get to the brother. Remember that this is set in a time when homosexuality (buggery) was still illegal in England. (Apparently it is still a punishable offence in the Isle of Man)

3. bleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't and I won't see the movie, but I've read the book. (I don't want the movie to ruin the book for me, you see.) I definitely see the relationship between Sebastian and Charles that is hinted at (not very subtly). It reminds of of Interview with a Vampire, which also has a not-very-well-hidden gay relationship, in my opinion.

4. Markio

v v SPOILERS v v

My friends and I went to see it expecting it to be about forbidden homosexual love in old-timey England. We were let down because the movie was more about religion and tolerance of people's religious beliefs. The real conflict in the movie is between Atheist Charlie's accepting views and the self-imposed sufferings of the family at Brideshead--be it the homosexual son, the father who does the sign of the cross at a certain climactic moment, etc. The real climax or resolution was at the end when Charlie decides not to put out the candle in the chapel, as a metaphor for his acceptance or tolerance of the religious views at Brideshead.

The book may be entirely different, but that's just what I gained from the movie. I was hoping for more of a homosexual relationship; I think Charlie is just straight and doesn't realize he's leading Sebastian on through their friendship. Or he's bi, perhaps, but he seemed like he only considered Sebastian a good friend and not a partner. Except, you know, when they swim naked in the fountain...

^ ^ SPOILERS ^ ^