1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slang

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayJay, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GayJay

Do you use slang words and phrases? And what are some phrases if you do?

Just intrigued because I can't not use it. Some of my vocabulary I've recently learnt to be scouse phrases, I thought it was actual words but apparently not.

Like I ring one of my mates and say 'game lad?'
    Which normally means come out and have a smoke and chill for a bit.

2. MisterTinkles

Here are a few from the USA--

"Sup" - means hello, how are you, what is up, whats going on....

"Laters/Lates" - means goodbye, will see you later

"Don't think so" - means are you out of your ever lovin freeking mind??? What the hell were/are you thinking?!

Here's an old Southern slang term you might find funny........

"Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down" - means someone is unbelievable ugly or unattractive. You could also say "They've been beaten with an ugly stick".

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

From Japan:

うp (up) = upload
    中二病 (tyuunibyou) = an alternative kid. Not a positive term for an alternative person, and implies it's just a phase. Kind of like a "babybat" or "scene kid"
    オタク (otaku) = Not what weaboos think it means. Means a nerd who is obsessed with anime/games/other geeky things to the point they do not take care of themselves and lack social skills. Often depicted as geeks are in the west, overweight with thick glasses. Another, more offensive word for this is キモヲタ、キモオタ (kimowota, kimoota).
    ネカマ (nekama) = Made up from the words ネット(net; internet) and オカマ (flamboyantly gay crossdresser). It refers to men who pretend to be women in chat rooms and social networks online.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Japan seems to have a lot of slang. I noticed that from my studies. I wonder if English has as many but we just don't notice it. In fact, how do you define slang? ie, how can we say "otaku" is slang and not just a term... is it just not accepted in standard literature?

I'm not sure what phrases I use that are slang. I say "sup" sometimes in chat (never in real life)... "gonna"... "Im-a"... I'm sure there's much more.

5. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm going to sound terribly old here but the youths in the UK have a lot of slang that I overhear. Most of it I can't make sense of like sick and peng. They also love hash tagging everything.

We also have a lot of colloquialisms specific to each region in the UK. For example,
    Chinwag - have a conversation
    Piss off - make angry
    Giddy aunt - exclamation.

6. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In English I mostly use ain't, kinda and cause, I'm not that much of a fan of English slangs...

However in French... It's another story. I use what we call: Le verlan. (It means that we change the order of the syllabs in a 2 syllabs word) For example Frère (brother) will become: Refré
    I also use some slangs that will make google translate commit suicide xd
    "Et là l'pélo il m'a pas rodave, j'avais cher flippé ma race mais en vrai j'suis passé commace zehma pas trickard, j'ai collé de ouf gros. La tête de oim il doit avoir l'seum mais du cher".
    I give a hug to whoever (who ain't a native francophone) manage to translate those two sentences in a correct english.

7. MisterTinkles

"Player or Playa" - someone who is sexually promiscuous and will lie and con their way into anybodys pants, any way they can.

"Ho" - same thing as whore.

"Shithead" - somebody who is extremely asinine, hateful, and degrading to everyone around them.

"Douchebag" - someone who is scuzzy, dirty, rude, and condescending to everybody around them.

Some Southern slang -

"All y'all" - means all of you or is this all yours, depending on the use of it.

"Bread Basket" - stomach

"Family Jewels" - crotch

"Cattywampus" - knocked sideways

"Darn Tootin" - yes

"Figure" - as in "I figure that's right" - a calculation of thoughts or ideas.

"Fit to be tied" - extremely angry, almost physically violent.

"Rag Baby" - a homemade doll

"Riled or Riled Up" - making one angry

"Sho nuff" - sure, absolutely, in the positive

"Shucks" - stop it you are embarrassing me.

"Twernt nuthin" - I didn't do anything special.

"Skedaddle" - leave, run off, have to go

"Tarnation" - depending on how it is used - surprise, shock, adulation, pissed off, happiness exclamation

"Tarred and Feathered" - depending on how it's used - extremely shocked/surprised, or wishing physical harm on someone

"Tore up" - sad or down

"Uppity" - conceited, self-righteous, stuck up

"Yonder" - over there

"Yankee" - someone from a northern state

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fluent with Scottish dialect. Ye dinnae want tae hear when am raging. Yeah, I know it can depend on the area, because I've bloody lived it since I was around 4 or 5... I'd have to ask my parents about all the times we moved. I pick up slang really quickly.

One of the most amusing I've heard is:

Furry boots dae ye bide = where (about) do you live?

9. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My friend from Fife always says "the day" or "the night" instead of today or tonight.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

(it's gone) Pete Tong - Wrong

Battle Cruiser - Boozer (pub)

Khyber - Arse

(telling) Porkies - lies

Mince Pies - eyes

Sweeney/Fuzz/Rozzers/Plod - Police

There's probably more I use and don't even know!

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

The line between slang and not slang is thin in any language.
    Otaku does have a more formal word, ひきこもり (hikikomori). Though it has a wider definition, of anyone who locks themselves inside the house at all times and has undeveloped social skills, whether they are geeks or not.

12. Yosia

I do use quite a bit of slang, but only like shortening words and a few words which everyone else says, not speak pretty much a new language like some people like to. :lol:

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One time I saw a tattoo that said never don't give up.

14. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Never don't give you up,
    Never don't let you down,
    Never don't run around and desert you!

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Y'all gather 'round now, ya hear? It time y'all learn sun'in 'bout the way we Kin-tuck-yins vocabulate:

I suppose we should begin with the easiest and most common ones, which have been addressed by MisterSparkles. "Y'all" is the most known of Southern lingo, and it tends to irritate anybody above the Mason-Dixon Line. However, I'm surprised one particular word, was left off from his list:

Fixin':
    It's a verb, and takes the place of either w-- actually, fuck it, you're getting an example:

Jethro is fixin' to watch the horribly boring sport of NASCAR.

Basically, it can replace "going", which is the easiest way to use it.

---

Reckon:
    What rednecks use, when they want to sound fancy, to agree or confirm.

When his dentist asked if he took care of his teeth, Cletus could only say, "I reckon."

---

Jit:
    Pronounced G-Eet, like saying the letter 'G' immediately followed with 'eat'. It's compressing the question, "Did you eat?" into one, quick sound.

Susie May, curious if dinner had already been served, asked, "Jit?"

---

Jou:
    Sounds just like "Jew". It's compressing "Did you?" into one, quicker sound.

Peggy Sue, pissed at Cletus taking her chewing tobacco, confronted him. After hitting him with a frying pan and demanding an answer, she followed up her initial question with, "Jou? Jou take my God damn chewy ter'backa, Cletus E. Hucklefoot?!"

That's a good stopping point, for now. LOL.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use quite some slang in Dutch, but in English.. I'm not sure, I guess you should tell me. =) Besides my pronunciation, and mixed dialects, I may have some words others might not use.

If I think a bit, I can come up with the following (for me they are too trivial):

> Barbie (The first time(s) I might say barbecue, but then I get tired of it)
    > Cheers (goodbye, but also mixed with thank you)
    > Chips (Likely most use "fries" here)
    > Cracker (amazing/ace: That's a cracker X)
    > Crisps (Likely most use "(potato) chips" here)
    > Fizzy (The carbonated beverage (non-alcoholic) Not even sure how you guys call it. Soda? Lemonade? I don't know XD I might use fizzy drink too)
    > Flat white (some coffee, I don't know how to explain. It looks like a cappuccino, but it's not the same)
    > Icing sugar (I don't think it's slang, but I had to explain a few times that I meant the powdered sugar. So it's not that straightforward I think)
    > Jandal (I guess most know this by flip-flop or thong)
    > Mozzie (mosquito)
    > To pop in (to put in: "Then I pop it in the oven")
    > Pram (perambulator)

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I'd say otaku is a bit far from that. Japanese is interesting in that it has a lot of borrowed english words which could be all considered slang.

18. PurpleGrey

I use as varied slang as possible, and even have a few idioms and the like that are exclusive to close circles of friends.

On the use of "otaku", I use the American/western definition, rather than the Japanese meaning, although I understand both.

Most interesting is I have slang that is just names that describe types of people, which isn't that out of the ordinary, but interesting just the same. Things like, "she's a rotten Blanche", or, "he's such a Mark".

19. GayJay

Worst part is none of the words mentioned are new to me, most I was unaware to be slang.

Yeah I don't really get all the new slang either, I have to ask my younger brother.
    I use all the old scouse slang, don't know if anyone else knows it.

'givin it toes'- Running fast, normally when 'getting chase' from school teachers/police ect..
    'this savvy' - This afternoon
    'game?'- do you want to?
    'squid' 'binlid' 'bambino' 'Ar kid' - Child

20. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm from the south so don't use much of the northern slang but I love hearing it like "ar kid" and "pet"
    I got really confused once when someone from Liverpool was talking about their sister Kelly and they kept saying "ar Kelly" and I thought they meant R Kelly the rapper!