1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Science = Lies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MisterTinkles, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterTinkles

Although I like science, and I love scientists because they are always using their brains....

They can also come up with some idiotic crap and pass it off as "fact" and "truth", when in fact it is nothing more than a pure, unadulterated LIE!

Examples:

Scientists claim humans only use 10% of their brains.
    How do they know this if no human has ever used more than 10%??
    How do they know what a human is like if they use 100%??
    There is no proof to base this assumption on.

Scientists claim there are no two snowflakes alike.
    How do they know this?
    Have they looked at EVERY single snowflake that has ever existed and will exist on this planet? No, they haven't.

Scientists claim that no two humans have the same fingerprints.
    How do they know this?
    Again....have they tested/looked at EVERY single humans prints that has ever existed on this planet? No they haven't.

Which makes these scientists' claims nothing more than pure, 100% pure science FICTION!

[​IMG]

Are there any scientific lies you know of, that are passed off as "fact" and "truth"?

2. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Science is based on a "best fit" scenario. For example I could say that if you put something, say a chair, in an unmonitored room it will cease to exist an instant after it became unmonitored and reappear an instant before it is needed again. You couldn't prove me either right or wrong (anything like a video camera makes it monitored). However the "best fit" is that the chair remains there the whole time. So that is what we believe.

The statements you mentioned are "best fit" because there are too many variables. Each fingerprint/snowflake could be the same pattern (very unlikely but possible) but a slightly different size, thickness, what if one of the ones that would otherwise be the same were damaged.

BTW the 10% of the brain one is bogus.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the things you describe are not claimed by all scientists.. Please, the next time you make such a post, try to educate yourself on the subjects first. =)

Wrong, scientists don't claim this anymore (at least it would be quite inane, since it's a myth):
    Ten percent of the brain myth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this supposed to be even serious..? Please do some research to understand where these claims come from (statistics perhaps? Just an idea?) and read why some snowflakes might be the same.

Snowflakes - No Two Alike?

Did you even do research on this topic?

Wrong: http://science.howstuffworks.com/fingerprinting1.htm

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking. You obviously have no idea what science is about. The fact that you expect scientists to "prove" anything suggests that you have never taken any higher level science class nor been involved in any scientific research.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, scientists in fact don't say that humans use only 10% of their brains. This is an urban legend, probably based on a misquote from a late 19th century researcher who simply said that the brain may be capable of feats beyond what we know they're capable of. (And that last sentence is one I think scientists, who still have a lot to discover about the brain, would agree with.)

The other two comments are along the same lines. They're not things scientists have said. They're things that a non-scientist says in an attempt to bring what a scientist would say into common parlance. A scientist would say something like "the variety of ways a snowfalke might crystalize are so numerous that the odds of finding two identical ones is extremely remote". They might say the odds are "very close to zero" or even "practically zero". But it's the non-scientist who would read that as being "zero".

And it's this misinterpretation of the facts that confuses people. Last year, somebody offered millions of dollars for a perfect NCAA basketball bracket. And this was still a safe bet. Not because a perfect bracket is impossible - after all, every year, precisely one perfect bracket theoretically exists! It's because the odds of picking that bracket are far greater than the millions to one. Similarly, when a fingerprint matches a suspect, this does not mean that there is no chance that somebody exists with exactly the same fingerprint. It simply means the odds that somebody matching that fingerprint happened to commit that particular crime is exceptionally low. This is why jurors are asked to determine guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt", not "until there's absolutely zero chance of innocence".

This "sloppy translating betwwen science and common parlance" shows up everywhere. We still say "sunrise" even though the sun doesn't actually rise. This isn't scientists lying to us - it's humans being lazy in how we discuss scientific phenomena.

Lex

6. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have a feeling this will end badly.

7. yoonicorn

Me too.
    Popcorn is at the ready.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This might be one of the finer examples of satire, I've seen.

9. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said, this is not a claim that has ever been made by a respectable scientist. But of course, if it were the case, that would be possible to be determined by science.

You might, for example, hear of a man being shot twice in the head but surviving because luckily the bullets only passed through the 90% of his brain that he wasn't using.

Also, given that it's the size of our brains that makes childbirth so much more dangerous for us than or most other mammals, there would be considerable evolutionary pressure on us to tend towards having brains that didn't include the 90% that wasn't being used.

10. robclem21

can't tell if troll post or serious.... either way I had a good laugh.

Also at Quem's response for the irritation and sarcasm :slight_smile: haha I love it.

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

thats the answer mr sparkles gave to the thread "what weird things do you do?"

i'm not saying that he doesn't mean this serious but you might consider it before calling someone stupid.

12. MisterTinkles

I'm not talking about theories, I'm talking about lies that are preached, taught, and perpetrated as absolute fact/truth.

As for the other posts....

I am educated, and I do not need to have a multiple diploma's in science to know a lie when I hear one.

I know the difference between a theory, a fact, and a practice. So don't talk down to me like I'm a moron.

This thread is for posting scientific lies, not debating and arguing what was posted. If you want to argue about it, create your own thread for science arguments.

If your claims that scientists do not preach, teach, and practice these lies.....then you need to tell all the scientists and science teachers I have ever had classes with or spoken to about these issues. Refute THEM, not ME....I am not the one perpetrating these lies as actual facts and truths.

Which brings me to another science lie.......

Scientists preaching lies, then claiming "I never said that", or "you misinterpreted what I said".

I would expect a scientist, of all professions, to speak in truths and KNOW EXACTLY what they are talking about BEFORE they open their mouths. But that does not seem to be the case.

#12 MisterTinkles, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not science's fault when an ignorant public spreads misinformation about science. If you had any education in science you'd realize that no real/credible scientist ever uses the word "proves," let alone claims their findings to be absolute fact/truth. That would be absurd.

14. MisterTinkles

I have never heard of any scientist that never uses the word "proves" or "facts".

So there must be several million quack scientists out there.

15. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry but this is the stupidest thread I've ever seen on this website. Essentially the argument goes like "I've heard these bs claims therefore I assume scientists have said them, therefore science = lie". It doesn't actually matter what a scientist says anyway. It's what the consensus is and the consensus does not suggest any of those facts (expect perhaps for the second one).

The last claim is statistically likely to be true, as the number of possible combinations of snowflakes is so high that the likelihood of two snowflakes being the same is very unlikely. "No Two Snowflakes the Same" Likely True, Research Reveals

16. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When studying science one of the first things you are taught at university is the real definition of proof, theory and hypothesis in a scientific capacity. Unfortunately the general public have other ideas and definitions for these terms and that's often where the confusion arises. When you speak to someone without a scientific education they often say "well it's just a theory, like evolution etc." However in the world of science a theory is a well substantiated explanation for an aspect of the natural world which has been rigorously tested and confirmed through experimentation and observation. It is not the same as a hypothesis which is a conjecture that is testable.

Forgot to add that science is also changing and evolving and we are always discovering new things. So there will be ideas that people believed years ago that we can now refute due to the presence of better technology and research.

#16 Vesalius, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  17. MisterTinkles

UGH.........

As I stated, this isn't an argument thread.

If you want to argue with the people who have claimed to be scientists and have stated these as facts, go argue with THEM.

This is not an argument thread!

More lies from science....
    told by Denis Rancourt - a former professor of physics at the University of Ottawa. Rancourt is a recognized scientist but is more widely known for his confrontations with his former employer, the University of Ottawa

Activist Teacher: Some Big Lies of Science

18. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry but what actually is the purpose of your thread then?

You can't just post supposed "lies" and not have them contested. Who is to say you are right and the "evil lying scientists" are wrong.

19. MisterTinkles

I never claimed to be right, I never claimed to be a scientist, I never claimed scientists as evil.

This WAS just a thread for posting what people consider science lies, which differ from what real life has taught them or what actual facts have taught them.

There's always someone who has to turn a simple thing into some big, over blown, outrageous, "cage match".

20. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It might not be what you intended but what would happen if you started a thread about all the lies in the Bible or the Qur'an? Would you expect everyone to just accept it and not argue? As an atheist who believe in science and scientific theory I want to defend my beliefs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.