1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bbdyke, Mar 29, 2015.

1. bbdyke

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    How do you develop a gaydar? I think mine needs some tuning up. Haha.
    I don't mean to put anyone in a box here but some peoples physical appearance can give insight on their sexuality; haircuts, tomboy attire, ect. I find that the femme types are really hard to gauge. Is there personality trait/quarks that can give insight?

2. fragileflame

I don't really have a "gaydar..." You just kinda have to see if they act like they are interested, or casually bring up if they have a boyfriend/girlfriend...I don't suggest asking if they are gay (kinda kills the mood a bit)

3. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My gaydar is like the arcade game in the Italian restaurant that's always been there but has always been broken. Nobody's willing to get it fixed.

4. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My gaydar sucks...Most of the time...

5. blackhatguy

Yeah, I think most of the time when I get a blip on the gaydar, it's just me being unrealistically hopeful.

That being said, I'm bisexual, not 100% gay, so maybe that's the problem.

#5 blackhatguy, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. C P

C P

I don't really think there's much to develop personally; a bit skeptical about it.

Would this follow under that whole wish-they-were-gaydar thing? :lol:

7. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I now just assume that every attractive man who's not physically touching a woman is obviously homosexual.

At least in men there are some clichéd things that will make me more likely to suspect that they might by gay. My preliminary tests seem to have revealed, for example, that men who wear earrings take longer to feel uncomfortable about sustained eye contact with a stranger.

8. blackhatguy

You know it.

9. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was supposed to be shipped a Gaydar via Malaysia Airline more than a year ago...

That brings up another problem, how do you do when you're that clueless guy who can't even notice he's being hit on ?

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hVe a great gaydar! When one guy came out no one had a clue but I wasn't surprised at all.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I think a lot of us start out by using stereotypes we see on television: short hair, aggressiveness, and boyish clothing for women, excessive attention to fashion and hygiene, having a certain voice, walk, hand gestures, for men. Problem is, not everyone fits into these types, and even some heterosexuals exhibit them.

If someone is extremely homophobic, to the point of not being able to go a day without saying something about the topic, that pings my radar, since they're subconsciously focusing on something that most straight people don't care that much about. Same for those who are always "joking" about gay things.

If someone is excessively touchy with members of the same-sex, especially close friends, and gets jealous of them when they enter relationships, or spend time with someone else, that also catches my attention and makes me go, "Hmm." A lot of LGBT folk, including myself, have also admitted to having a similar experience.

If someone shows literally no interest in the opposite sex, and has never been involved with one, I also become suspicious, but this one is a little more tricky, since some people are shy, don't care for those things, have religious convictions, etc.

Being interested in things like queer literature, media, events, and groups, possibly. I visited the local LGBT center while questioning, and watched shows like Queer as Folk. Again, not always, but most involved in these things are either LGBT themselves, or know someone who is, and want to find out more. This isn't full proof, either, since "gay" is becoming more mainstream and accepted.

I usually don't say, "this person IS ___" unless they tell me so, and when someone does ping my gaydar, it's usually a combination of several of the above, and possibly a few smaller things. A lot of transgender people get mistaken as being gay cis men and women, for example.

The best thing to do is not assume. :wink:

12. blackhatguy

For a long time, I was trying to strike a delicate balance between the two.

Seriously. Since coming out, I've found out a surprising number of people I know are not as straight as I had thought. Which is why I doubt this whole gaydar thing.

13. Adam Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My Gaydar, has literally never been wrong (to my knowledge). I swear by whatever Holly Doctrine you prescribe to. That being said, I don't really believe that you can take "a look" at someone and know or even hazard a guess with accuracy.

If someone is a walking stereotype then that gives you a more accurate guess I suppose but here is the thing. You can't know until they come out with it. Moreover they might not know themselves.

I have two short stories that demonstrate my abilities of gaydar clairvoyance

There was viola playing associate of mine. We had a music theory class together. By all measures he "looks and acts straight". In fact he didn't even fully set it off. I could only get that he was not heterosexual. At the end of the year he came out as bisexual.

I have another friend who we will call Kyle. Poor Kyle is constantly flirted with by guys and not so much by girls. It was widely believed that he was a homosexual. His hand writing is neat, he is good looking, he is kind, he is smart, [Insert stereotypical gay guy quality here]. Despite all this, what some would call 'evidence' I never even once considered that he was interested in men. Low and behold he is in a relationship with this girl now.

SO the question is, how did I guess correctly. Well I have two theories.
    1. I can read minds (yeah right.)
    2. I pick up on subtle body language and changes in the way they act depending on who is around them.

The second theory makes sense to my personal history but the thing is it took a long time of talking to them to hazard these guesses. Both males and females change the way they act to who is around them, so I suppose I'm just hypersensitive to these. There both is, and is not gaydar.

Sorry for the long post.

14. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to my gaydar, all other girls are straight and 1/4 of guys are gay/bi, the rest being straight.

15. Adam Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awesome, I love that quote.:eusa_clap

16. Foz

Foz Guest

My sisters friend claims to have awesome gaydar, but says to me I'm so straight I never turn corners. Of course behind the poker face I am pissing myself laughing :roflmao:

17. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been accurate with mine. A year ago I suspected a co/worker was into girls. A few months later she had girlfriend.

18. A Republican

A Republican Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My gaydar is usually accurate :slight_smile: With stereotypes, spotting is easy but in the case of other secretive ones, I wouldn't even guess.

19. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can totally relate to this!!! Unrealistically hopeful at the moment. Hahahha

20. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    mine is pretty good but i dont understand it. like its just a sense, subtle clues i pick up on subconsciously. i couldnt say what the actual tells are. and on the flip side, nobody has ever pegged me as being interested in men and it was a shock to most people when i came out.