1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullying

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by antibinary, Mar 30, 2015.

?

If you have been bullied what was the response off the teachers?

1. Dealth with it properly

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Punished me for standing up for myself

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Dismissed it (includes times when the bully might as well have got off scot free)

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Didn't report

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  5. Never been bullied (You are lucky)

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. antibinary

Hi, if anyone would like to discuss it, here is a thread.

I physically not remember a time at school when I wasn't left out, insulted 'accidently' bumped into and sometimes worse. This stuff is too normal to bother report though I do report it when it is physical.

When I do report it, it is almost always ignored. On one time a girl ran offf with my beyblade and I snatched it off her. To try and stop me she scratched some of the skin off my arm with very visible marks (but no blood.) I told on her. Then the girl said that I'd snatched MY toy off her, and then I had to apologise. I was so tempted to refuse. (She got off scot free.) Why did I have to apologise? 'You should have told the teacher' I might not have got it back that way.

What are your experiences with it? Did the bully get let off? And what can we do do end it or at least get it taken seriously?

2. Foz

Foz Guest

I've had all 4 responses throughout school, though I can only recall a few times when it was dealt with properly and that was only when a senior teacher saw what happened or if I was bleeding. I did blame myself for the fact no one did anything about a lot of it as I was quite a troublemaker, but never a bully, I just dicked about a lot. But halfway through primary school I pretty much stopped telling teachers about being bullied, primary school was really hard, the head teacher just flat out hated me, my mum reported her to the educational director for my area who even said that everything that wasn't getting done was a huge educational failure to me. So what happened? The head teacher tried to sue my family for 'defamation of character' even after the head of education said she failed me!

I'm just glad I never 'looked' gay or came out during school.

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

the first school bullying and beating each other was kinda normal so no one ever did something about it (except for the teachers favourites if they got bullied hell got loose)

In the second school i went to the teacher tried but most didn't listen.
    In the end the problem solved itself due to people becoming more mature (still our parallel class was a totall bully class because their teacher was appearantly incompetent)

4. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Bullied through elementary school. Kinda harassed in middle school.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Popular in primary school. Bullied in high school. Somewhat responsible adult in college.

My high school claimed to have a no-bullying policy. They suspected I was depressed, injuring myself and mostly lying about being bullied. It's also my fault because I initially tried to hide that I was being bullied, so it was difficult for them to trust me.

They put me in a special group, in lieu of another 2 years of studying the French language. Some of these kids might have been sociopaths. I was even given a social worker. Lucky me. She was fun, but, some of her advice was too idealistic.

I think that is a mixture of dealing with it and punishing me.

6. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was bullied in two schools, from 1st grade to 3rd grade. I didn't know what to do. It was a hostile environment, I isolated myself and somehow tried to ignore everything. That didn't work out well, and when my parents found out, they intervened and made my teachers do something about it. Then the attacks stopped, but I was still recognized as an inferior being among my classmates.

I still have to deal with some of those people today, who remember very well what happened to me and how I was back then. Maybe I should've gotten over it already, but it's still a sensitive topic. I wonder if this experience had such a strong effect on me that it made me a failure. It's hard to make myself believe it was not my fault.

7. antibinary

For the lucky people who've never been bullied, what's it like? Because I have no idea how good it would be.

8. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I eas bullied for hanging out with girls...I didn't report...The funny thing is that they never accused me of being gay because of it...Maybe it's because I look "masculine"...

9. Lyana

I was bullied throughout middle and high school, only reported it once in high school after months of it, when it just wasn't livable anymore -- day and night, it had become too much. I never even thought of reporting someone before that.
    They summoned the whole lot of us, at least twenty students IIRC, and had us talk it out. It was awful, a sort of "us against them" where "they" outnumbered us five to one, and they accused us of not trying to fit in. I appreciate the attempt, and the bullying stopped, but I hated that moment.
    So glad I'm not in high school anymore.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I got bullied and accused of being gay for hanging out with girls too (before I became homeschooled). But I also had some people think it made me a "player", so guess there are two sides to it.

11. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I'm not sure what I suffered was bullying, verbal abuse is bullying, right?
    Haah, I remembered how the boys were so afraid of sleeping next to me when they planned the class picnic. Funny thing was I didn't even want to go to class picnic. But being treated like a disease, well, not cool.

12. ZenMusic

I was bullied for most of my Primary School life for the color of my skin. There was a time we were in assembly and all the girls in my class moved away from me because they didn't want to "catch the black." I was called a "burnt cookie" at one point and was always called "weird chocolate boy" most of the time, with the girls running away from me. It brought about a lot of self-loathing around my pre-adolescent years, and the fact that I'd grown up around mostly white people didn't help. I didn't really have any black people to look up to. The teachers didn't really do much, and it stopped around the end of primary school.

13. Lazuri

I had one teacher who supported me when I was bullied in school. He was awesome, but he was just one teacher and couldn't do much. He'd always keep an eye out for me, though

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was bullied in 7th-8th grades, but never reported it. I suppose it seemed like a sign of weakness, and something I felt ashamed of, so I just dealt with it as best I could on my own.

15. yoonicorn

I'm not sure if I could go as far as to say it was 'bullying', but my secondary school teachers were the worst I've had. It was my word against theirs, so nothing was done.

Looking back on it, I wish I'd have made a big fuss of it at the time because I hate thinking that they're still working with kids. A friend of mine tried to do that after leaving but things were dealt with appallingly, and I don't want to go through it again.

16. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of the teachers have actually laughed when I've been bullied.

17. GayJay

I don't know where the line is drew on bullying. Like personally what is said by the OP is not really bullying to me. You were bullied if it was a repetitive act and you were scared.

I've been targeted, mainly for being the new kid in school. But what none of them knew was I had moved schools a lot, fighting was nothing new to me and I was never scared of anyone throughout school.
    Don't get me wrong, I've been jumped and beat up for no good reason by guys in my school who I never even knew because they were older than I was. But it was never a repetitive thing so it's not bullying. It did get harder to defend myself as I got older because you know boys just got bigger and more masculine than I did. Plus my high school was pretty rough so fighting was a common occurrence, but there were people who were hit/jumped at least a few times a week by the same people.

There was a girl in my class who got hit every day by the same boys also in the class. Her parents went into the school, you know what my head of year said 'Aw, it will die down. I think he just fancies her.'
    Our teachers also told you to fight back and defend yourself, basically because they didn't want to know and believed there was nothing they could do.
    But they were probably right, there was not much they could do to stop these kids.

18. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A girl punched me right in front of a teacher.
    I turned to the teacher for help, and she told me not to hit her back, or I'd be in trouble.
    I watched the girl who hit me skip off down the hall.

They never did anything about it, even though she bullied me for 4 years and I frequently reported her behaviour.

After that, I gave up on telling teachers.
    Even when I used to get followed home from school every night and have things thrown at me.
    Even when they grabbed me and drew on my face in permanent ink.
    Even when they tripped me, called me a lesbian, told me I was ugly and told me to die.
    I knew there was no point in telling.

And that's pretty horrible. :/

Everyone in class used to hate and bully this one kid, and I thought he was awesome, so I'd hang out with him, and talk to him. I was accused of bullying, because the teachers were so used to everyone hating him, that they assumed the only reason I'd ever want to talk to him was to upset him. :/ He's still my friend today. They never did anything to help him, either. They did give him detention for fighting back a few times, though.

9 years of my life was spent hating myself because of those people. And I'm gonna be honest, I still blame the teachers partly. Because I can't help but think that they could have stopped it. They knew it was happening, but refused to help.

#18 ForNarnia, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  19. Ryu

Ryu

Hmm... Well seeming I'm 'just' a tad out of the norm for my age (relatively intelligent, normally quiet, and not a giant arsehole all the time), I get all sorta of crap from my 'peers'. Off the top of my head I've been properly beaten up three times (I'm in year 8 if you wanna know), and pissed about with ( punched, pushed over, called names, etc.) an innumerable amount of times, so about halfay through year 7 I just gave up on telling anyone because my school are, to be honest, shit at dealing with anything. The times when something major has happend, I wouldn't tell anybody because... Actually... I don't know... Still...

Excuse profanities.

20. Yosia

I have been bullied several times unfortunately, but what makes it worse is that teachers didn't do anything. Which in effect, makes them just as worse as the bullies.

One particular incident was when I was in year 10 and I was being bullied because of self-harm and I reported it to a teacher, however they said that the bullies were just having a bit of fun. This went on for a while and I reported it to several teachers who all said something similar. There was one teacher who cared, however she took the issue to the head of year, but the bullies just got told off and to be nicer to other students. Of course this didn't change them in the slightest so one time I retaliated by slapping one of them in the face and guess what - I was in deep shit for that. The bullying did actually stop after that, however I got very told off and punished for 'attacking another student'. Seriously, teachers rarely care and it is upsetting.

When I am a teacher, I will be an anti-bullying activist and do everything in my power to stop people suffering. Bullying is always worse than it seems.