1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do People Condemn Homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MysteriousMadam, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone :slight_smile:
    So I was really thinking about this after looking at the #BoycottIndiana tag on Twitter. Though the support and acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community is growing, and the younger generations are more likely to support gay marriage, believe that your sexuality isn't a choice, and accept LGBTQ+ individuals, there's still a whole lot of people who really don't. While these people are older, more privileged, more ignorant on the issue, or more conservative, they're still a pretty big number. It really gets me wondering...why do they condemn homosexuality (and bisexuality, pansexuality, transsexuality, etc.)?
    When I was part of that group, it was because of my Christian faith. Then as I later discovered my own sexuality but I thought it was just temptation or a phase, it turned into one of those situations where I was against gay people because I was worried I was gay and I didn't want to be. (It's so ironic...one year ago, I was at that point. And here I am later on, more liberal, an agnostic atheist, and bisexual. I never would've expected any of this :lol:slight_smile: So I guess I hit 2 reasons right there...religion and a secret fear of being gay yourself. The first one is kind of dumb because your personal beliefs shouldn't affect anyone else. I remember reading this quote about that and it went something like "Saying gay people shouldn't get married because it's against your religion is like saying I can't have any cookies because you're on a diet" And it's the perfect analogy! Something that should personally guide or help you shouldn't be inflicted on everyone else's lives. And besides, there are religious people who are part of the community. I remember when I was still a Christian, I used a forum for LGBTQ+ Christians. I eventually stopped going on there and joined different forums because I stopped believing in God (and I didn't feel welcome there anymore because of that) but there were a ton of people who made peace with the fact that they believed in God and they were LGBTQ+. So that in itself should contradict the whole religious argument. I think the part about worrying about being gay is caused by stigmas that people grew up around so they see gay as a bad thing. Maybe they think that if they hate it or are against it enough, their own attractions or feelings will go away. At least that's what I thought.
    Besides those 2 reasons and just a lack of knowledge on the community, I don't know why people would go out of their way just to ensure that LGBTQ+ individuals can't get married, or can't have rights. It's irritating and a bit of a mystery to me because I feel like most of the reasons they have could be debunked in literally no time. There's no valid reason to oppose equal rights or to hate on someone for the way they were born.
    What's your opinion on this? Do you have any more reasons or ideas people might have or use? What do you think will change people's minds, or are some minds unchangeable?
    Thanks everyone :grin: Have a lovely day!!!

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Because of religion. Cultral attitudes against homosexuality can almost always be traced back to Christianity (or Islam)

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    people tend to condem what they don't understand and rely on others to tell them what it means. if i were to tell you that photographs are evil and against God; and you didn't understand what a photograph was you might condem it. the same with LGBT, people dont understand it at a young age and rely on someone who gives a negative defination/explaination so they condem it. and if someone envokes your diety into the mix then you feel that if you don't condem you are sinning against your god. what is needed is to open minds and hearts so that people understand that we are just like them, the only difference would be that we love a person of a different gender than they do. just as some people fall in love with folks of the same "race" and some with someone of a different "race" colour or sexuality, it's how we're born, same as who we love, that's the message we need to get out there.

4. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Because they're idiots.

5. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    New best friend right here ^^^

6. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Religion isn't the only reason people condemn homosexuality. I grew up in a non-religious country and people hate on gays just as much as the religious nutcases in the US do. Ignorance, lack of education about homosexuality, media stereotypes of gays and invisibility of the gay community are the causes of homophobia.

7. Queero

Because they're jealous of our fabulousness. They can't handle it. Our sex lives are better than theirs and they hate it.

Kidding. Mostly kidding. It's stupid, uneducated people, whose parents or schoolmates teach them intolerance. My short answer is that stupid people tend to breed.

8. Rainbows~Exist

Ignorance and lack of intelligence :slight_smile:

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think a lot of it is because of historical sexism as well. Women were considered an inferior species back in the day, so if a man did anything that was seen as "like a woman" such as liking men, being receptive in sex, or doing anything feminine...he was hated, even killed. Homosexuality was seen as degrading to men.

Even in regards to lesbians this is also true based on sexist beliefs that "women are here to serve men". So you get beliefs like true lesbians don't exist, are 'playing to get men' and such.

10. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's one thing to say "because of religion", but then why does religion condemn it?

Ultimately it's because it's different and "not the norm", and not only that, but it's sexually different, and we all know how society freaks out about sex.

Humans tend to hate and fear what's uncommon and different. Yay us :rolle:

11. PossumJack

Same reason there are still sexists and racists: A refusal to educate themselves and a lack of respectful interaction with the group they're hating against

12. TheSpeaker

That isn't very nice.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People will divide and fight over the smallest things, including sexuality. Unlike say, women or racial minorities, it's not always easy to spot gay people, and the numbers are a lot smaller in many cases.

Religion aside, I've always thought the idea a man is supposed to have a family to protect, and a woman is supposed to provide, played some part in it. When you have people competing for resources in a society, and what some see as others "opting out" of the game altogether, you're going to get backlash, since they're going against long-held views and traditions.

They can't understand why someone would "want" to engage in this act, which is only a part of the equation, and start making up lies to demonize them. "They can't even have kids naturally! That's not what the human body is for!"

14. Foz

Foz Guest

Because the bible says so. The end.

15. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because of religion, mainly Christianity...They're phony bible, and phony God say that being Gay is a sin...Of course they're idiotic, and crazy...Idiotic for believing what that damn book says, and crazy for praying, and listenting to a non-existent being...Isn't that some sort of mental illness?

16. RainDreamer

Why some people condemn black people back when racism was rampant? Why some people condemn feminism? Why some people condemn [insert anything here]?

It is just in people's nature to condemn things that are not coherent to their world view, whatever that world view may be.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For their own selfish purpose of forcing their beliefs on others. It is more about having power over people and their ways of life than it is about what they think their religion believes. Whether you are religious or not religion should never be used as a way to govern or control others. Because we are a world of many religions and beliefs not one belief should be used as a basis for how government should run. That is coming from a christian perspective.

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2015 at 10:20 AM ----------

I don't think that is really fair. You may not believe in their God but many people of that religion are coming out in support of homosexuality and gay rights so you should have some respect for those who do not condemn homosexuality and are christian.

18. TheSpeaker

That is not very nice either.

19. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Gay relationships have existed throughout history without concern or history. Look at the Greeks, Hawaiians, etc. The idea of labeling such relationships is a relatively new concept. What was really the main source/origin of this idea? Religion. You can deny it all you want, but you can't change that. Denying that is like denying that manifest destiny was a thing, or that people used the bible to justify slavery.

Labeling relationships and sexuality in general, has changed exponentially throughout the years. Just look at sexuality in the 1950s and compare that to now. Compare that to the 1920s, etc etc. It is important to note that words describing same sex relationships are relatively new. The original text of the bible never mentioned loving same-sex relationships. If you look at a literal translation of the bible into english you might think otherwise. The old testament is believed to be referencing having sex with your slave boys. What the bible really should say is "though salt not lust after children". At least that's what some believed. What a more common belief is that the word was later inserted into the bible at a later point in time. Jesus never ever referenced same sex relationships. Don't you think if it was so important, he wold've. Here's a video that goes more in depth. What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality.

TLDR: condemnation was caused by misconception and a poor translation of a holy book.

20. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Hmmm, minorities will always be discriminated against...
    My country is relatively secular and many people still condemn homosexuality...including my dad, who is not religious in any way.

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2015 at 09:34 PM ----------

Oh but my country is sexist.