1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introverted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WolfyFluff, Mar 30, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Is there a way to not be introverted or any way to actuly talk to people?

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Join a club, usually you'll associate with someone there :slight_smile:

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's ways that introverted people learn to interact and talk with people normally. Introverted people usually have a few friends still. However, true introverts will hardly ever randomly become extroverts. You'll learn to accept being an introvert once you realize societies praise of extroversion has no basis.

4. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's gonna sound a bit obvious, but the best way is to actually build the courage and just do it. Yeah, it's not easy and you'll feel like you're making a fool of yourself, but the more you do it, the less awkward it becomes each time. Also, joining clubs can help you a lot, as someone already mentioned, even if at first you're not interested in the actual activity.

Also, I believe you're mixing up Introverted with Shy. I know lots of introverts who have no problem at all at talking to people, even to a crowd(how I envy them!) but they still need their time alone to be healthy.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Introversion doesn't mean you can't talk to people; that's shyness. It's a personality model that means you just prefer to be alone or with a few friends.

But technicalities aside, my method for getting over that has been "toughen up and do it." If there's a reason to talk to people, that reason is more important than my apprehension. I wish there were an easier way besides "lots and lots of alcohol" but I have not found one yet.

6. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

How would you carry on conversations or start one? Is it better to hang out with a group of friends? I have a hard time hanging out with one person, especially if they want me to talk.

7. guitar

There are a lot of ways you can get speaking/meeting-people experience
    - Take a speech / drama class
    - Join a dating site and try going on a few dates
    - If you're into politics try canvassing door-to-door for a candidate during an election
    - If you're in school, join a club or group
    - If someone asks you to take part in something (like say a run, charity event, etc.), do it! They're a great opportunity to meet new people

A large part is just getting out there and trying things. That was the biggest lesson I learned in University - by far! I'm probably not as bad as some with bad anxiety, but I'm rather shy and introverted. You'd never guess that from meeting me. It takes time and experience (and again through trying new things) to slowly hone your "shy-guy" craft to where you can begin to feel comfortable saying hi to new people.

#7 guitar, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. SpiritEnergy

9. the haunted

Thank you for this. ^^
    It's so obnoxious when my extroverted friends wonder why I call myself an introvert if I'm so goofy and talkative.

Fairly outgoing introvert right here.

10. tulipinacup

Yes, introverted doesn't mean shyness BUT there shy and outgoing introverts. You can't "change" your personality type and what you have to do is to just "survive" in an extroverted world.

I always love listening to this Poem because it encouraged me to be ok when I'm alone.
    [YOUTUBE]k7X7sZzSXYs[/YOUTUBE]

11. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

That poem was pretty and relaxing, I liked the way it says that being alone can be positive and not just negative. The other video too, it helped explain some things that I never knew. They were awesome.

I should try to go out and do things more often, but remember that preferring to not be around people isn't all that bad.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people