1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International Transgender Visibility Day

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Gen

Gen

I haven't seen a thread about this, but March 31st is International Transgender Visibility Day. There are social media campaigns in the works; however, I felt that it would be fitting that we take the time to acknowledge this day and the meaning behind it within this community. So considering that meaning, lets take this as an opportunity to highlight transgender individuals who we have personally found inspiring.

The first person I wish to acknowledge has already become extremely visible and comes as absolutely no shock, but it is the lovely Laverne Cox.

[​IMG]

When I first watched Oranges is the New Black, I appreciated Laverne Cox and what her role on the show represented. When I stumbled upon one of her interviews and spent the new couple of days hunting down every video of her talks and speeches, I began to live for her. She is not the most revolutionary social activist, but the fact that she has risen to fame so quickly and immediately began shifting every the focus on every interview and speaking opportunity to a social issue rather than simply her new show and movie deal is something that you don't see often. I don't have idols. I don't follow celebrities often, but I am obsessed with this woman.