1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't like to sleep

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeolia, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lately I've found myself refusing to sleep, I usually stay awake until my mom wakes up or sometimes I don't sleep at all (like this night). I try to sleep as little as I can, and end up sleeping during the day when the week end comes.

Am I the only one here who feels the need to stay awake ?

2. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I don't like to sleep because I feel that sleeping takes up time that I could use to do other things and be productive. During the summer, I'll slowly stay up longer and longer until I don't sleep at all. That goes on for a while, then I have to be made to go to bed.

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I'm the same. You've caught me on one of my all-nighters, as it happens! Most of the time on these is spent in distinctly unproductive ways, but also it often causes me to do a big assignment if I have one, or if I don't to write a poem or something. That's what happens when I'm deprived of sleep.

Still, I know I need to get a grip because sadly lack of sleep screws you in lots of ways :dry:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You don't live on Elm Street, do you?

5. Gandee

Gandee Guest

One, two, Kaiser's coming for you

6. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To die, to sleep.
    To sleep perchance to dream.
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come?

7. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel a need to stay awake, but I often have trouble sleeping. I hate sleeping. I want the past 8 hours of every day I've ever lived back. Such a waste of time.

8. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I like sleeping.

Sleep helps to organise a lot of your daily experiences & helps you to see things from a new perspective. There has also been some research to show that a nap soon after learning something new helps you to grown new connections in your brain and consolidate your new skill.
    I don't see it as time wasting at all: if for example I have to do an essay I sleep between researching it and writing: sleep helps me to see the problem from a new angle.

Are you familiar with the idea that it is best to sleep in multiples of 90 minutes?
    Apparently this is how long it takes to go through the full cycle of sleep phases, waking in the middle of a sleep cycle will make you feel tired, whilst if you complete a cycle you will feel rested, and also allows you to have a better quality of sleep.

It works for me: Sometimes when I have to get by on very little sleep I will take a 1.5h, or 3h (2x90mins) nap and I feel nearly as rested as after a full night sleep.

If you don't like sleeping maybe you could try this out?

9. PossumJack

I don't like sleeping, but I really enjoy dreaming. I usually just have 2 hours of sleep on weekdays and take power naps during the day, then crash for 10 hours of sleep on the weekend. Not a very healthy lifestyle, I know.

10. MisterTinkles

Noticing your age group here, for the ones that don't sleep or don't want too......

your bodies are changing from child to adult. Sometimes your hormones and other things going on inside you, keep you from sleep or wanting to sleep.

Don't worry, once you get into your early 20's, it should fade back to normality.

You might go to the Dr. to make sure you don't have a vitamin deficiency somewhere.
    Sometimes when your body is lacking in one vitamin or mineral, it will do things like this.
    It is best to get that checked out to see if you need some special vitamins or minerals.

Of course, in MY family, the older you get, the less sleep you get. It runs in the family.
    My granny got about 2 hours a sleep a night, and took catnaps during the day. Thats all the sleep she ever got.

Im getting the same way. I sleep for about 4 hours a night, then I spend the rest of the night going "in and out" of a nap mode. It wrecks havoc with me. If I had something to do, I would get up and do it, but I don't....so I just lie there.

Even with prescribed sleeping meds, I still only sleep about 4-6 hours before Im awake again. I take a two hour nap on the weekends usually. Not because I want too, but because I fall asleep while watching shows or a movie.

11. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just died laughing! DAMN! HAHAHAHA!

As for me, I LOVE SLEEPING! Especially this time where I havent had a good sleep for a week from doing projects and studying for final exams.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like sleeping its one of my favorite things.

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

And why should you say what is "normal"? What if that is just the way these people are?
    People say I'm not "normal" because I sleep in the day and am awake at night. However, I don't believe in normal. And I won't change, I've been like this since my parents stopped giving me a bedtime. Which is a long time ago.

14. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    same here, same here... sleep is great.
    [​IMG]

15. Lazuri

I don't like sleeping. Partly because I feel it's a waste of time and partly because I think the night is beautiful. Lately I've been having nightmares too.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Hey look MisterSparkles, someone in their early 20s.

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sleep? The more hours, the better I feel afterwards.

If you leave me be, with no obligations, I'll end up acting like an owl.
    If you give me less than 7 hours, I'll be grumpier than usual.
    You give me 5 or less, I won't be fit to be among fellow humans.

No sleep is better than 5 hours or less. All nighters fuck my biorythm up, so I try to avoid them like the plage.

18. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have trouble falling asleep. I desperately want to. I desperately need to. But I can't. Even though I take meds for it.

I love sleeping. It's a way to take a break from the world for a while. If I could fall asleep easily, I would sleep a lot more.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not normal. Most people sleep during the night. I also prefer sleeping in late morning to afternoon. It's not normal. Normal is defined as... well, do I really need to give you a definition? It's what most people do, and it can be fairly objectively defined. I think MisterSparkles has it correct. What the OP is doing is not healthy and they should try to get into a more normal sleeping pattern. I went through a period where I "refused" to sleep in high school and ended up getting extremely worn down and practically having a mental breakdown. I do suggest the OP sees a doctor or mental health professional at least. It's one thing to NOT LIKE sleeping. It's another to REFUSE TO SLEEP. Yea, I don't like sleeping sometimes, when I have a lot to do; it seems like a waste and I always wake up feeling crappier than when I went to bed. However, it's very important for the body and I feel bad without it. When I can sleep as much as I want, I love it!

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2015 at 12:59 PM ----------

And here is someone in their early 20s who loves sleeping :grin: (not necessarily at night)

20. Lazuri

In sparkles defense though, I do have severe Vitamin D deficiency.