1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming clean

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam2, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Dear EC members,
    I must tell you the truth, which is I have not been honest with you for a long time. I don’t have HIV, I am not dying. That’s the biggest and by far most F***** up lie I’ve told. The others were age discrepancies, based on more personal things, and falsified story’s. Not all of my story’s were lies for example, I am a recovering heroin addict, I am a father (which as you can see, I’m not great at setting examples) I have had people attack me, but I over exaggerated the results of this big time; I was attacked, my eye socket damaged, but with no weapons, the fast paced way it went to court was also a lie. On this site, when I first started, a lot of my posts were true, but as things got more hectic in my life, I started lying and exaggerating more, to the point where it just became normal behavior for me to lie.

What’s strange and perhaps more shameful, is that when telling the lies, it didn’t really click that I could be hurting people, I don’t know how it wouldn’t have clicked It just didn’t. Only after re-reading my posts do I see how incredibly damaging and hurtful they are.

You could call me a “Chronic liar” I don’t know exactly why I do it, but there are many possible (possible being the key word) explanations for my actions, perhaps I want attention for things I do not get in the real world, In some cases it could be that I say what I wished had happened, instead of what happened. Or that I wanted to cover something, I do know that, for a bit, it was to avoid judgement, which even typing this makes no sense, as this site has never judged me and I can’t find one example of someone being judged on it. Please understand tho, that these are not excuses, I do not expect this to make everything okay, just want to explain to those who want an explanation. But there are zero excuses, what I did was shameful, dishonest, and just plain messed up. I do not expect any forgiveness, or for anyone to want to keep any sort of communication with me after, and I certainly don’t expect sympathy. Just anger.
    I know it may make no difference, but I would just like to express how sorry I am, I took advantage of your time and emotions. No apology I can make will make it right, and it won’t take it back, but I figured I should at least be 100% honest on this post. And express my regret. I’m trying to get this under control but It is an uphill battle.

Please post however you feel (If you want to) on the comments and I will respond to any/all posts as soon as I can.

One last time I would like to apologize, I know you will not likely forgive me but I just want to express it anyway. I am truly sorry

-Sam2

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to jump in here and say a few things:

1. What Sam did was really shitty. He knows it, he and the staff have been discussing it, and Sam agreed to prepare the above post (which the staff has not edited or changed in any way) to own up to what he did.

2. Likely a lot of us who provided support to Sam will feel betrayed or angry, especially given that we've had several such situations in the past month.

What's different here is that unlike the other cowardly, shameful people who continued to lie their asses off and/or just slink away when the staff contacted them, Sam has owned up completely, and expressed a willingness to answer any questions, provide any clarifications, and, basically, take whatever is dished out to him.

3. The above said, it's really important that we realize that EC is a support forum, and Sam has come clean about this in part to help his own healing process. That means it's fine to express your disappointment and anger (if you have any), or to share concerns about future distrust or anything else you might be feeling -- those are all normal and to be expected after something like this -- but the staff feels strongly that this needs to happen in a way that's respectful to Sam.

The above said, I think there's a good opportunity here not just for Sam and those who might have been affected, but for others who might have posted untrue things here or there, or might have thought about it. One of the things that makes EC special is the caring nature of people here, and it's the staff's hope that by discussing this topic specifically as well as generally, perhaps we can turn this situation into something that's positive for all of us.

Please feel free to comment, share how you feel, and talk about whatever comes up related to this topic.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care that you lied sam I'm just glad you're ok (*hug*) I'm actually kind of relieved u lied about HIV cause I was thinking oh man this poor guys suffering in the worst way and his poor daughter is gonna be fatherless but I'm glad that's not true and you're doing ok and I forgive you :slight_smile: (*hug*)

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Echoing what Chip just said, it's okay to be upset. I'm upset too when I think of how much time my EC friends have invested trying to console Sam through an illness and circumstances that were fabricated.

However, this thread is not an excuse for a lynching. This is an apology, and an open discussion. Please keep that in mind when you formulate your replies. It's a lot harder for Sam to come clean about this than it is for him to disappear and leave us without answers.

EmptyClosets is a great community- we've got an excellent track record for being accepting, kind and openhearted to each other, even in difficult circumstances.

By all means, express how you feel. Please be civil, and keep your words respectful when you do so.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not surprised. It was suspicious. I just prefer to lean on the side of trust. Because what if somebody actually was going through all that?

I didn't really invest energy in you, so it's easy for me to feel unaffected, but, thank you for telling us the truth. Some stuff you said would be a truly horrible situation for somebody to be in and you still wouldn't deserve to suffer such a fate.

This is going to sound like a "Captain Obvious" statement... Sam, please keep this in mind; If you tell the truth about problems, you're likely to get more useful help.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very unfortunate that you lied, Sam2. =( But, I must say that it is very brave of you to make a post about it and be honest about the lies you've told. That's something very few people can do.

I'm obviously not happy that you told these lies, but you know that too. You are deeply sorry and there's nothing more you can do. Look, people can stay angry at you, that's their decision, but that won't fix anything.

The fact that you've confessed these things says something about your personality too. =) I hope others will accept your apology too. It'll take time, but I think they will, eventually. =)

7. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So first off, I meant to post this on your wall, but was not given the option.

But.. well aren't you angry? I'm sure u must be, I just wasn't expecting your post. It was so heart warming. It was literally the last thing I expected. And it shows great character on your part. I am truly dumbfounded by your responses. if i was in your shoes I would be infuriated.

You're probably just a bigger man than me, but i would be frothing at the mouth.. ha. I have been betrayed before and it sucks so bad. I guess first I want to thank you for you kindness, but then show true(100%) respect for you. I am so sorry. please don't think I'm lying when I say that. though i would not be surprised if you thought I was. i don't know exactley how to end this, so i'll end it with, you are a good person Andrew99, dont ever let anyone tell you otherwise

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2015 at 05:41 AM ----------

Spartan 117 This is part of what hurts me the most, (Please don't think I mean what you are saying is hurting me, It is NOT) it's that this site is so forgiving, forgiving to the point where I can't even understand, I can't understand why i would hurt you. I want to better explain but i feel like that would be an excuse.

Lawrence It is kind of ironic you say that, earlier today I remember thinking someone would respond to this saying "I KNEW IT!" haha of course you didn't do it like that, but the fact that you found it suspicious is enough. Just know that not everything i said was a lie, but the more F***** up things were. I obviously have some issues, and again, I just want to reiterate, I am not trying to make any excuses. this is really the one group to offer me 100% support, even when you should be cussing me out, you're supportive, this is a truly amazing site.

Quem, thank you, I agree, it is very unfortunate I have lied. I betrayed a group who never once judged me. usually when I pull stupid S**t like this it is with people who don't care. this site is just the opposite, this site does seem to care. just the fact that you are accepting my apology speaks for this site, at least in my eyes it does. I was kind of bracing myself for a large quantity of cuss out letters, telling me I'm a peice of S**t and what not. It is very unfortunate i lied, I may very well have ruined the one good thing in my life (With the exception of my daughter) You're all great people. I just wish I wasn't so shitty.

8. AKTodd

Hi Sam,

While I can't say that I've invested huge amounts of time and energy in your situation (no specific reason, circumstances have just usually conspired to shake out that I didn't feel I had anything useful to add to a thread by the time I saw it. Or the subject matter was beyond my experience to feel I could say anything useful), I have followed it with interest.

While it's unfortunate that you lied, you are now stepping up, admitting your mistake, and seeking to make amends in a manner that can't be pleasant for you. And that earns you quite a bit of respect in my book (and no one automatically gets respect in my book. It must always be earned). I've already felt some for you watching you fight your addiction and family situation (know a little about both of those, actually). Now you've got more.

They say that living well is the best revenge. If you can grow from this and continue on your journey to the sort of life I know you can have and that you deserve (great husband, loving daughter, true friends and family,even if they aren't the ones you started with), then that's something worth a bit of discomfort now.

All the best to you and don't ever let them get you down. I'm not on EC as much lately, but if you ever want to talk, feel free to ping my wall and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Take care,(*hug*)

Todd

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sam, it's fair to say that I did invest a lot of time in responding to your posts on the forum, not just recently, but also going back over a number of months and I will admit to feeling rather upset and disappointed, most especially by the last thread you posted. HIV/Aids is terrible and it has devastated the lives of many thousands of LGBT people the world over. It's not something to lie about, or make light of, ever. If there is one thing that is sure to offend other people in our community, that's it.

Having said all of that I am impressed that you chose to offer a full and frank public apology and since I believe in forgiving people I will not hold it against you or condemn you in the way you expect. I would also urge other members to weigh their comments in a similar way.

Please remember that you do not need to lie or embellish things to make friends or find support here. Nobody does. You get the most out of EC membership by being real and authentic at all times and saying it how it really is.

You accepted my friend request a few weeks ago and I'm not taking it back Sam. A friend offers support at times, but fair criticism at others. I've been a little bit critical today, but now that I've said all of that, I'll continue to offer support if you ever want someone to talk to.

Patrick

10. ouji

ouji Guest

I remember reading some of your posts, and finding some of them to be quite questionable. But in all honesty, I'm not mad. Was it wrong to lie? Yes. But I also think what is more important is that you are owning up to it, and are now coming clean about it. I have to commend you for that. I also am just really happy to hear that some of the things that you say you were experiencing were not true. I was worried about you when you said you had HIV for example and that you were dying, but honestly I am just truly happy that you do not have HIV, and you are well. I find this post to be highly commendable of you (*hug*)

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Sam. To be honest I'm not overly impressed with the likes but I'm glad you have been honest about it now. I don't embrace everything church has taught me but forgiveness is one of them and I'm still delighted to offer any support that I can give to you. I'm hoping the ec community can come together to support you regardless.
    Thanks for being so honest now

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well thank you very much sam :slight_smile: and no I'm not mad at all. I would be if you continued lieing but I think that was very brave for you to tell the truth. I kind of understand why you did that I mean I'm guessing it was for attention or whatever the reason was but with your past I wouldn't blame you at all. (*hug*) I really don't care that u lied and honestly I'm kinda glad u did lie really because I was thinking ah shit Sam's gonna die within the month but now it seems like you're ok and I know for sure we would all rather have you alive then dead. :thumbsup:

#12 Andrew99, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  13. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sam I was quite distressed by your recent posts. So there is a mixture of relief and anger but it seems you have done a good thing now and maybe learn from this whole experience.

14. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sam, were you serious about your suicidal thoughts? I don't see that mentioned here exactly...

15. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand the reason why forum members take every personal story and cry for help seriously. Because if the story happens to be true and people react with indifference or with unsubstantiated accusations of deception, then they've just made an awful mistake. There could be harmful consequences, especially when dealing with topics such as physical assault, terminal illness, depression and suicide. And I believe that's why people are still being so kind to you now, even though you lied. No one wants to exacerbate your problems, whatever they might be.

But let me say this (since I am not quite so kind). I don't think your apology was either sincere or brave. A couple of weeks ago, when I read that you were dying of AIDS, I nearly left a message of sympathy for you, but something compelled me to check your posting history. I found more than a few incredible stories there. Story-telling is an art form and attention to the details paints a more realistic and believable picture. It was interesting to see how you would sometimes weave in specific details like CD4 numbers, how many months or years ago certain events took place, or the number of cars, assailants, lost teeth, and broken ribs.

It's not so easy to separate the lies from the truth and I cannot say for sure that I have any idea who you actually are, since Sam2 seems to be a fictional character that you created. So, regarding your apology, what difference does it make now if Sam2 is outed as a liar? He's not you. And you can just use a proxy, make a new account, assume a new identity, and start posting more stories. I suspect you've already done so.

Here's the thing. In my own life, I've known someone who lied compulsively to me and to those around him. He would lie, steal and manipulate to get what he wanted and other times he would lie for no discernible reason. And no matter how kind I was to him and no matter how many times I forgave him, he would still do it. It hurt me very much and it didn't work out for him either, as I am no longer his friend.

But here's what I took away from that experience. People who are pathological liars don't just come clean, change their ways, and then never do it again. It never happens like that. When a pathological liar gets caught in a lie, he doesn't become a better person, he becomes a better liar. I learned that the hard way. It's like that fable about the Frog and the Scorpion. They promise not to lie and manipulate ever again because it would hurt them, it would hurt you, it would hurt everyone. But, after all is said and done, they end up doing it anyway. Why? Because it's in their nature.

#15 Blackbirdz, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  16. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    PatrickUK: I think criticizing is just as, if not more important, as support for a friend. I understand your criticism, and agree. The biggest reason I wanted to come clean myself, rather than have the staff do it for me, was because of the HIV lie. It crossed a line i had not crossed before. Just as you said, it hit the lgbt community very hard, and to lie about it is like a spit in the face to people who have actually dealt with it, kind of like people who walk around in army fatigue but have no experience, just more if not equally fucked up. I have been meaning to message you for some time, but continuously puss out. mostly because of all the time you've donated to me. I expected you to be especially angry, and upset (Not to say you aren't) but i guess I thought you would be particularly harsh. I will do my best to message you, no words can describe how shitty i feel for this, and at the same time respect for you to not un-friend me, and cuss me out. I don't know if i responded properly so please let me know if i should add more.

Ouji: yea some of my posts, mostly the more recent ones were quite questionable, I am glad you don't want me to die. and I think if either of us is commendable it is you. perhaps coming clean is commendable, but lying isn't. Much like quitting drugs, it is commendable, but if you(you meaning me) hadn't done them in the first place you would not have to quit. I would not have had to come clean if i had not lied. but still, you are far more admirable than me.

happydavid: I admire you my friend, you still want to support me, despite what I've done. I don't fully understand your forgiving nature, But i certainly respect it, it is a trait i don't have, That being said, I don't think I am deserving of your support, at least not yet.

Andrew99: well I appreciate you saying that:slight_smile: it would make it very hard to come clean if i was dying. I prefer not to be told that I am brave, because i did this to myself, the least I can do is hear what people have to say. even so, I am extremely impressed by your kindness.

Bingostring: yes I understand your feelings, I suppose I have. But i wouldn't have had to, if i was just honest.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 01:48 AM ----------

Bingostring: I am trying to learn from this, like i said it is an uphill battle

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 02:14 AM ----------

Blackbirdz: First off I just want to say that I do not expect you to believe anything i am about to say. but i should respond anyway.

My post was not brave, when someone does something to themselves then owns up to it, it is not brave (my opinion) but it was sincere. computer screens show no emotion so there is no way for you to tell how honest I am being. But i am being 100% honest.

I have not made a new account, the only other email account I have the staff has, or at least some do. so they would know it is me.

I have lied and stolen from people who either forgave me or trusted me. This is the first time, however that i have owned up to it. Usually I would just lie and try to get my way through it.

I must disagree however when you say "It never happens like that" I do not, or rather, can't believe that i will never change. I have to change. I have to stop this, and if i don't believe i can, then there would be no point in me doing this. There would be no point in trying. I have to try. I just have to.

I want to thank you, for expressing your anger in a way that is respectful (Not that i deserve respect) but it says a lot about you to explain how you feel and why, without cussing and saying insults. I appreciate it.

17. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Biguy8: yes i was serious, i have thought about it and attempted it, and been locked up for it. I wanted to leave it out of the main post because I did not want people to go easy on me for it. I felt it was a bit of a cop out.

So for anyone else who reads this response. don't let my issues stop you from being honest in how you feel.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2015 at 02:34 AM ----------

AKTodd: sorry i didn't see your post, otherwise i would've responded to it first, I am trying to grow from this, growing takes some time, I am hoping that being honest on here, may inspire me to be honest in other circumstances in the future. and that i can have a great life, while my history is F***** up, what with family and addiction. I still think it is my fault, as I could have seen this as something not to do, but instead I learned from it. Thank you for your supporting words, and I'm sorry about all this :frowning2:
    take care bud

18. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Suicidal thoughts can cause people to do wild things. I especially can't judge you if those feelings were true. I totally forgive you. I hope that you live a good life. I am glad you are being honest about this. Secondly, I applaud staff for their leniency in this issue.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sam,

I commend you for coming forward and admitting what you have done.

Several months ago, you told me you are Jewish. So, whether you are, or not, I will give you a story about a liar, and a rabbi.

In a small Jewish village in what is now Poland, there was a man who spread terrible gossip about the local rabbi. After a while, he felt remorse and approached the rabbi with contrition, saying that he felt sorry for what he did and that he needed to know what to do to make it better. The rabbi told the man to come back the following day for an answer.

As an aside, it is a great sin in Judaism to spread rumours about someone, even if they are true. One of the Ten Commandments is to not bear false witness. When the man returned, the rabbi told him to take a pillow outside, cut it open and then let the wind carry away the feathers. Once done, he was then to pick up and gather each and every feather.

You did indeed cross the line with that HIV story, it was especially troubling to me personally, as my sister is suffering from that condition; you need to be aware that I don't treat this issue lightly, and I can tell you from personal experience that this is a very serious and damaging disease. There may have been others here at EC as well who have loved ones who are nearing the end of their lives, or who may themselves be very ill.

Everyone, absolutely everyone has a chance at redemption, to re-deem yourself is to regain your value and your reputation. King Solomon himself would say "A good name is rather to be chosen than riches." So I commend you for attempting to redeem your good name, while reminding you that you have done a lot of damage. It isn't easy to pick up all those feathers...and just like gathering up scattered feathers, it will take a long time, just as it will for us to regain trust in you.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you are owning up to this and I wish you well in your effort toward redemption.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In response to Blackbirdz comments (which, for the record, were pretty unkind and not in keeping with the spirit of the ground rules we set out earlier in the thread):

One of the questions Brené Brown was asked in one of her talks was where the line was between "being a bad person" and "bad behavior." I really liked her response. She said that the point where you identify someone as a bad person is the point at which you stop believing they are capable of change.

I can completely understand that when someone has been previously hurt by another person's bad behavior (in this case, compulsive lying), that he or she is going to be very skeptical and have his or her guard up, and may lapse into cynicism. I definitely get cynical about people from time to time.

In this case, though, it's my opinion that the cynicism isn't justified. Sam had no reason to come clean and publicly post here.

When we identify these situations, the staff always gives the person a chance to own up, in the belief that people can learn a powerful lesson in feeling the empathy and kindness of forgiveness, which is the antidote to the shame and worthlessness that drives most people to this sort of behavior in the first place.

In most of the cases where similar incidents have happened, people have doubled down and continued to lie, or made up even more outrageous and implausible stores to justify their bullshit... or they simply slither off into the night and disappear altogether, which is about as pathetic as it gets.

I can count on one hand (with a couple of fingers left over) the incidents where the person has chosen to face the community that s/he has wronged, own up to the behavior, and take whatever the community has to dish out. And without fail, those people have grown and changed for the better, and their sense of self esteem has improved dramatically.

I can understand how someone could, out of ignorance, condemn another person for lying. But unless you've been in those shoes, lived those experiences, and had to learn to survive by whatever means necessary, I don't think you can fairly judge someone, and you certainly aren't showing compassion or empathy if you believe they are irredeemable.

I think Sam's already started to show what can happen when someone starts to accept responsibility for his or her actions.

Also, for the record, we've verified Sam's identity, we know his real name, where he lives, and so forth... and the name he posts under is, in fact his real name. So what he's owning up to is attached to his real-world identity, and that should (or ought to) count for a lot.