1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made a painting.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Level N Human, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Level N Human

Just wanted to share it. It's my first 'serious' pretentious oil painting! :slight_smile: We did a quick underpainting sketch before this, and a practice painting of a bust in my painting class.

Well here it is:

[​IMG]

I've done acrylics before, but oils are so much more flexible. Fuck acrylics, they are frustrating! (Defenestrates a few tubes of acrylic paint.)

Show me your paintings too if you have any.

2. tashyyy

wow well done!
    i like the grapes :grin:
    <3

3. HighintheClouds

I like it!
    Let me find something of mine... Will upload it sometime in the future.....

4. davo-man

Awesome job :grin: I like!

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That was great! I am so untalented when it comes to art. Its a good thing I work with preschoolers. :grin:

6. Well done, I like it! Here's one of my pastel paintings.

Attached Files:

#6 Drizzt DoUrden, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
  7. gutsrie

oh wow! that's really awesome, guys! i really wish i had more experience with traditional media!

8. Daniel

Wow...

You have some serious skill.

9. Hoppip

I love how you set together the pale white skull next to such random objects like books and grapes and even an instrument. Did you compile the subjects together yourself?

10. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Wow! Thats awesome.
    Have a look at some of my paintings and drawings in my album. They are not as good as that but..

11. Level N Human

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. :grin: Your stuff is really awesome too. Seems we've got a few artists here.

Drizzt, I really like the colors and the moodiness in yours. I think I have some pastels lying around somewhere. You might have inspired me to work on a pastel as well. :slight_smile:

That's very cute. I have made a hand-turkey myself. I think I have posted it up here before, but while I'm at it, I might as well unabashedly showcase everything I've got.
    [​IMG]
    What do you say, am I close to mastering the handturkey from my preschool days yet? :grin: It's almost Thanksgiving, so happy Turkey Day too I guess!

Unfortunately no, haha. My professor sets up a few still life compositions around the room and we just move to an area with a view we like in front of the one we choose and paint a portion of it.

That's nonsense; my favorite is the 4th photo. It's real moody like Drizzt's as well - abeit a completely different mood and lighting. Something about frames within a frame bides well with me compositionally too.

Oh what the hell, I'll whore out another piece:
    [​IMG]

12. Myke

Myke Guest

Very nice! good job!

13. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :eek:Jeez i wish i was this talented at art. I mean i draw...doodle but nothing compared to this :thumbsup:

14. Loveless

Loveless Guest

Thats awesome!

15. musican

I envy everyone's talent in art. I can draw, but mostly only abstract lines and shapes making random designs. I can't paint, I've never learned how to do it very well and I dont have the patience or time to try on my own. How did you guys learn to paint?

16. Level N Human

By having patience. :slight_smile: That painting took me a few hours over a course of days.

Also, realism isn't necessarily superior to abstraction. It takes talent to be able to convey feeling and emotion through shapes and lines too, and it takes an understanding of compositional flow as well - so don't downplay that aspect. ~_^

If you want to try your hand at realism and getting the basics of oil painting down, here's a good resource for that.
    http://www.guidetooilpainting.com/oilPaintingInstruction.html
    :grin: Have fun!

17. Amy

Amy

I like it!

I really want to take an art class! I love painting and drawing; I need to learn art theroy and method.

I agree. Fuck 'em.

18. musican

Thanks, I'll check out that site. And thanks, sometimes I forget that I can actually be good at something. Maybe I'll post some of my drawings on here to get your opinions.

19. Thanks :slight_smile:

Here's one of my favorites, of my back. Again, the photo doesn't do it justice but oh well.

Attached Files:

20. Choucho

I wish I was this talented in ANYTHING.

Well, it's almost 2am so I can nearly get away with admitting this without shame; at first when I clicked on the topic I scrolled down past the painting because I did not realize that it was, in fact, the painting. -.- I thought it was a camera photo (which, technically it is, but of a painting) of the objects you were painting or something.

But, anyway.

I'm jealous of you all and I'm elequently awaiting the day when some form of talent will fall into my lap and beg me to put it to use.