1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it easier to talk about if some one else asks or brings it up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AfraidandAlone, Apr 1, 2015.

1. AfraidandAlone

i find i have been having a very hard time talking to my friend about my feelings and that sort of stuff. but if she asks then while it is still slightly uncomfortable it is much easier for me to talk to her about it. i was wondering if any one else felt the same? i have also told her that she can ask me what ever she wants about it. i guess my dislike for being rude out weighs my privacy issues hahaha.

2. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Absolutely agree. I find it hard to talk about myself because I feel like even my close friends don't really want to hear about me feelings or problems etc. If someone asks me outright though it's much easier to talk about because you know they are interested as they've instigated the conversation.

3. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I think I'm the opposite
    If my friends try to ask about my feelings, I will say nothing.

4. Tails

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my head, i always want someone to ask me about stuff. Then when they finally do, I always just respond with "I'm fine", and then afterwards think, "Why did i say that? I'm clearly not". But i won't openly go up to someone and express my feelings, or let my emotions out. I am normally someone who asks and listens to other people, rather than talk about my own problems.

5. TheStormInside

It's a lot easier for me to speak about things if I'm asked, too. For one, I know they are interested and ready to hear about the disaster that is my emotional landscape. Secondly it kind of helps me to focus and know where specifically to start. When it comes to LGBT subjects, as well, I still have a very hard time bringing it up, due to embarrassment, I suppose. So if someone asks me about it it's a little easier because they've "broken the ice" so to speak.

6. MojoDojo

6 of one, half dozen of the other? I don't like broaching the topic (whether asked or not), but once I get going, I am equally ok either way.

7. LiquidSwords

I guess I sort of feel self indulgent just to blurt out my problems without prompt. I definitely find it easier to talk about stuff when I'm asked about it.

8. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

Im confused

9. Foz

Foz Guest

You're going to get a dozen different answers on this as everyone is different. Personally, I just don't talk about my feelings at all, it's sort of half because there's some not very nice things in there and I'm pretty good at just shutting them away. But when I do remember them or they're brought up I do get pretty upset - which is something I hate happening, I really, really dislike people ever seeing that side of me. And the other half because I've had the closest of close friends betray my trust and I just feel that the less people know about me the less they can hurt me.

10. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm almost always available to talk about anything... actually I prefer to be the one to start a conversation, but most of the time no one cares enough...

11. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Definitely agree. I find it difficult to talk about touchy feely things because I try to portray quite a tough, no-nonsense image of myself to the world in order to be taken seriously. But if someone opens up to me first I find it a lot easier to respond in kind.

12. AfraidandAlone

i kind of feel bad because it feels like i am putting all the pressure on my friend to bring it up. do you ever get comfortable talking about it to the people you are out with?

13. TheStormInside

I wouldn't say I'm comfortable yet, AfraidandAlone, but I am more comfortable than I once was. A few weeks ago or so I messaged a friend asking if I could talk to her about things on my mind, and when we met up to talk I told her "I'm not sure how to start talking about stuff." She replied "You just talk" in a lighthearted way and that helped me to get going. Maybe you could express that you feel a little awkward saying these things so your friend can help you to start broaching the subject yourself. I'm learning it's something you just have to push yourself to do, and the more often you do it the easier it gets.

14. AfraidandAlone

i mean i know i only told her a few days (by txt) ago but well i still cant actually verbally talk to her about it. we txt a fair bit about it but i still cant bring my self to verbalize it.

15. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's easier for me if someone else brings it up, as long as it's not done too awkwardly.

16. TheStormInside

Oh... well if you only came out a few days ago, it will probably take some time to get used to it! It took me awhile, too. These are things you've kept deep inside for a long time, and never spoke aloud to anyone, you know? For now you can just text if you feel better that way, or you could try texting her to tell her you want to talk, then try having her bring it up with you in person. Maybe even texting while you are together in the same room could help you break the ice a bit?

17. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out, I was hoping people would bring up the subject and ask me questions. I would have very much preferred that, and I had specifically told them that they can ask me anything that comes to mind at all. I didn't want to bring it up because I didn't want to be rude either, and it's not exactly a topic that just pops up in conversation every day. Most people were too afraid to ask anyway, because they didn't really know how to bring it up. Our conversations became awkward because of that, and it would probably have ruined the friendship eventually. I started telling people who obviously had a lot of questions but were afraid to offend, that we need to talk about it.

I usually ask to talk about it in a day or two, so they have time to organize their questions and I can come up with my own way of leading the conversation if they still have trouble with it. Setting a date is also not quite as scary as talking about things right away, and when the date comes you can't really back out because it's already been decided on. Doing this has been very therapeutic for me. I can now easily discuss the topic without feeling awkward about it, and that has really helped put my friends and family at ease about bringing it up too. :slight_smile: I would recommend trying something like this with your friend if it sounds like something for you. It has strengthened my friendships and I've learned how to talk about other personal topics, too, without feeling awkward.

Good luck! You'll become better at it with time! (*hug*)

ETA:
    TheStormInside posted while I was writing, but she brought up an excellent point. I actually used Skype (text chat) to talk about it with a few friends because I found that to be easier. Talking about it in person can be really hard at first! Give yourself time to get used to verbalizing things. :slight_smile:

#17 HappyGirlLucky, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  18. AfraidandAlone

i guess i just have to stop being so hard on my self about this. she did make a little joke about it the other day which made me feel good.