1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Escapism Vs Reality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeolia, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you think the world really is great enough for one to want to live in it ? Is it truly living ?
    Do you consider escapism a decent/better lifestyle ? Is it truly living ?

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think that living openly is a good ideal to strive for in general. HOwever, I also know it's not always that simple. I'd recommend a song, about how at least for a while you can be invisible to protect yourself.
    And I guess, no, ultimately, I don't consider escapism a better lifestyle or decent. And yes, I think the world is great enough to live in. I've been THERE. It's all about coming out on the other side in as close to one piece as you can. I hated the world and people.
    Now my faith in humanity is unwavering.

here is the song. wall/message me if you want to chat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSQ2_8HvMaw

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Worth it or not, I think it's the only world we get. I spend half of my life in my head because I'd go insane otherwise. Video games, music, anime, it's all fun. We need to recharge. Reality has a habit of hitting one in face, if it is ignored for too long.

It ultimately pays off more to work on making reality a bit more pleasant. I hope I make sense when I'm tired. This reminds me of when I asked people if they'd be tempted to live in a virtual reality.

4. Tails

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, if i didn't escape to my own little world at times whilst i was in my teens, i don't know if i would even be here today. I think it can be helpful, in some ways. However, i think at the same time, we're only hiding from our issues. To me, at the moment, i mainly see bad in the world, but there is good out there, just still need to find it. I still escape at times, but although it can be a temporary fix, in the long term, it's not going to help. The problem mainly is that our own world is normally a world that is never going to exist. So spending so much time there tends to make the real world seem even worse. It's hard.

5. claiire

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    While escaping to the world of a book, movie or video game for a while can be great, it can be addictive and harmful to our every day lives. We live in a huge, beautiful world and it is our responsibility to try see as much of it as possible in the time we have here. I believe in escapism in moderation. However this is coming from someone who's played 600+ hours of Skyrim... So I should really practice what I preach.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do not try to escape life for its whole duration, only to look back on a barren wasteland of what should have been your accomplishments.

You have no other known opportunity to experience anything at all. It's far better to experience what exists than to toss away your life in trying to avoid what it's really like when you could work to make it better in whatever way you can.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My heaven would not be in this world; I can say that for sure. However, our good ole' wet space rock has some truly special majesty that is worth experiencing.

8. Jellal

Escapism any day. If this world was "simply enough," we never would have invented anything.

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely prefer to escape into my own little world. It's more fun and I'm happier there than having to deal with the real world.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There's a great irony with this...

Many escape, because they dislike their surroundings. But by escaping, they hardly change their reality, thus they constantly indulge in their escapism.

Personally, I don't mind daydreaming or meditating, because it can help me relax or bring focus to something. However, I don't neglect my real world obligations, even if I cannot fix or remedy every little thing, there are many things I can. I'd like to have an enjoyable fantasy world and a fantastic reality, as opposed to just one or the other.

It makes life... interesting.

Also, as epic as any mental show is, it will not put food on my plate or pay my bills. It'd be awesome, yes, but very unlikely.

11. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interestingly, the seventh Star Trek movie deals a lot with this issue with a sort of bizarre, alternate, ethereal reality called the "Nexus" which makes you eternal and live out anything you want as long as you want, in the end, Picard gives a soliloquy which I think sums it up nicely...

[YOUTUBE]Gc1yBSUev7g[/YOUTUBE]

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no such thing as the Real World. There is only the reality that we experience, and there are *lots* of ways of experiencing it, including online.

As a construct the world isn't that great. I've often commented that as an author, I take issue with God. The setting just isn't that plausible, the characters aren't entirely believable, or even solidly developed, and the plot is shoddy. It's an interesting read, but that's about all you can say.

On the other hand, I find that *experiencing* the world can be incredible. Our main problem is that with our limited sensory and processing power, we are simply so overloaded with amazing sensation that we learn to screen out SO much of it that what's left often strikes us as unimpressive. But if you can learn to take it in...it takes real dedication and effort, but if you can...WOW...pretty stunning, really.

So as an author, I do take issue with God...but as an artist? No...he's really onto something with this place.

13. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Excellent way of looking at it! I never thought it quite that way. God as an illustrator, I mean.

I guess if God had let Lucifer have the writing gig and stuck with illustrating then this could have been a whole lot more interesting.

14. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I know pretty well that we don't even know if there is a real World. Here I didn't take the time to explain what I meant by reality cause I usually get scolded for doing so. By Reality I meant the "world" we live in, thus the one that we see.

15. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure you know of it, but check out the "Allegory of the Cave," it outlines your ideas in a more... weathered take by Plato.

[YOUTUBE]lVDaSgyi3xE[/YOUTUBE]

16. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't know about this allegory but well, even though it's far from perfect, it makes sense. I loved it.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reality is annoying.