1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are LGBT people too strict about terminology sometimes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TENNYSON, Apr 1, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you expect non-LGBT people to know all the proper LGBT terminology?

When someone uses a term wrong, do you correct them? Are you hostile about it or more understanding?

Recently I saw someone get chewed out by a trans person for using the phrase "bio-male", but it turned out that this person who got chewed out was trans as well, so the whole thing ended up being kind of ridiculous.

If I hear someone say something stupid like "pansexual is when you're attracted to inanimate objects!" I'll gladly correct them, but that's about it.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I give people who would not usually know a term some leeway, and I will correct them respectfully. If they are ignorant of proper terms out of spite, I become more dickish about it. I don't expect very many straight people to know what the term heteronormativity means or know things related to transgender individuals. What is important is to take every opportunity as a teaching opportunity.

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I can be very annoying when correcting people. I know other trans or genderqueers that don't even know all the terms

4. Burnedcloset

I live with people who know nothing about LGBTQ+ terminology and guess what? I lovvvveee correcting them. It's fun to actually say the stuff I know out loud instead of bottling it up.

5. Jellal

Short answer is yes. I'll leave it at that.

6. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    It really really annoys me when stubborn people say transgenders attracted to the opposite gender and gays and viceversa

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some LGBT people are like the mafia regarding norms. Not queer enough if you are conservative, not flamboyant, don't look "gay enough".

8. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Also the problem is we don't even agree on the proper terms. Some gay people like the word "queer", but some think it's offensive and hate it. So what do we do when a "normie" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: says "queer"? I can see why sometimes it all seems too confusing.

9. fragileflame

Sometimes I feel this way... because I am what they call a "baby-gay" (is that offensive? probably. this fits with what I am about to say) so I don't find a lot of things offensive that people think I should. But with terminology, it depends on the LGBT person, one person could find something offensive that some don't. I think it is our job to educate people on the terminology, not blow up at them for the terminology they used.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Alienating people when they make an honest mistake will not help anyone. Expecting someone unfamiliar with "queer culture" (as reluctant as I am to use the word "queer", it's the best word for this situation) to know everything about it is ridiculous. So long as they express a genuine desire to understand or learn, I'd be happy to help them.

If they're being willfully ignorant, I'll give them less leeway, but I'll try to be polite anyways. Being rude isn't going to help the situation and will probably reaffirm their biases.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some are tightasses about it, yes. Some people aren't. I don't think there's a general consensus. I don't even know all the terms and still get confused.

12. MORTAL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Members of the LGBT who staunchly police the LGBT community about using correct terms and get sticks up their arses when people label them... meh.

13. Rapha Lover

Depends...

Some people yes, others not. It's relative! Nobody need know all LGBT terms and labels and, when necessary, we need explain with very calm and education because most part don't know about this and don't wrong purposely. I know what exist people understood theses terms and in same time make joke and discriminate, but like as say before it's relative and we need have conscience about this!!

14. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have said it better

15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and i think that correcting people in an agressive way is a really bad way to "teach". It just makes things worse.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Other than here I've never really encountered this in the gay community. I've been out and about for over twenty years and to be honest a lot of the type of terms you're talking about I learned here. Not only have I not encountered policing of the type of terminology you're talking about, for the most part I haven't even encountered use of this type of terminology.

17. dirglenerg

I'm really tolerant with it. Even with someone says something like "perhaps you just haven't found the right person yet" or "maybe you just haven't had good sex yet" in response to my asexuality, I just try and gently tell them that it's likely not that and it's just my sexuality, just like theirs.
    Sometimes when I'm in an awful mood and have to tick a male or female box I get really angry, but I try to tell myself it'd just as though they're asking what genitals I have and it's not entirely their fault they don't know the genitals you possess and the gender you are can be two totally different things.

The only time I actually lose it is when someone tells me that it's not possible or not real, which I think is just caused by pent up anger that what I am is not socially recognised at all in the first place. Someone personally telling me it's not real when I felt I trust them enough to tell them something like that just releases the flood gates.

18. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe. I understand labels are important to people, but also I sometimes find that they are treated too seriously, and there is a lot of boundary policing.
    I have not really encountered it that much in real life, but mostly online.
    It is kind of the reason why in real life I still use more vague labels, because I feel worried that flying the lesbian flag will make people feel like I am stealing their label.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

To some extent. I wouldn't beat people up for making honest mistakes.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do i need to say anymore. It sickens me how gay people and even straight people base their opinion on who is gay on stereotypes and nothing else. Screw labels, screw stereotypes and screw terminology.