1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being an Only Child

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thevenerable, Apr 2, 2015.

1. thevenerable

Southeast Asia - yeah it's not just South and East
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All the attention are on me. I have no one to fight for TV rights, no one to blame when something goes wrong in our home, no one to play with when I am bored. Many say that it is boring to be an only child but hey! I am actually very happy to be the only one in our family. But I always wonder how it feels like to have a sibling to annoy?

Being an only child, it made me greedy. I find it hard to share things with people; food, clothes, or even simple things such as a pen. I want the whole thing to be mine and I don’t like people taking even 0.00001% of it. That’s when I was maybe 12 years old---8 years ago. Now, I learned how to give stuff to others not to expect something in return. But I must tell you that it still kills me when I give something that I own, something I love. There’s still a pinching feeling in my heart signalling to my brain to think that “I shouldn’t be doing this” or “I hate that I have to do this”. I am gradually learning how to share more as I grow old because I understand that, in a world like ours now, everything is scarce. It can be a matter of life and death for others if I don’t share what I have.

Being an only child, it made me hate going to parties and mingling with a lot of people. I am used to be all by myself; in my room, reading some animes. I GO TO PARTIES but I do not want to stay long. I can get easily tired and I just want to go home as soon as possible. Like Cinderella, I have to go back to my fortress of solitude when the clock hits 12. I hate dealing with lots of people. It is mentally and physically exhausting.

Being an only child, it made me extremely self-conscious. Everything that I do should be well-planned, calculated. I cannot make mistakes and, if I do, I better do something to make it right as quick as possible. I refuse to fail. And no! My parents are not putting any pressure on me to always excel. They are not stereotypical Asian parents. They are actually supportive and understanding but as their only son, I always tell myself that I should always make them proud. I do not want them to feel even a little bit disappointed with their only creation.

Being an only child and an only son, it made me really ashamed that I am gay. I can only imagine when I tell my dad someday that I cannot marry a woman and build a “conventional” family. Philippines tolerates LGBTs but do not, in any way, accept us. For a long time, I felt that I am wrong and I do not fit. As I grow old, I understand that there are certain things that we are born with. What are the odds for my parents to have an only gay child?

There are many ways where being an only child affected my personality and perspective in life. From my ambitions to my inspirations, from my idols to my pet peeves---being an unico hijo certainly influenced my way of living. This made me think, “What if I am not an only child?”

2. Psaurus918

I'm not an only child but my sister is 20 years older than me. When I was born my sister was already living 3 hours away at college and only came home for maybe 2 weeks in the summer.

I absolutely hated being a only child growing up and still do, when I was a kid my parents fought a TON (my dad is an alcoholic) and I would sit in my room alone listening to them and had no one to turn to really. I had friends at school but couldn't really invite them over because I never knew what would set my dad off and I was embarrassed.

Luckily I'm not really selfish and I have no problem sharing but a lot of the time my friends will get mad that I don't want to hang out or that I don't talk much when hanging out with groups because I don't feel comfortable...

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am the middle child and have older sister and a younger sister. It probably won't help but I have a horrible relationship with both of them and it so uncomfortable to the point where my head will explode. My dad had it worse though with five sisters and today there are like two he never even speaks too.

My sisters are selfish, vindictive, manipulative and ignorant people. Everything I am and anything i do is selfish to them. For example gay people are not a problem with them but me being gay and making myself happy makes them extremely uncomfortable. They play games to what they want and have their way and try to push me out of things. In all honestly the day they are not in my life will be a blessing to me even if that means when my parents die. So you may of had problems from being a only child but on the other hand having siblings is not what it is cracked up to be. It was that way for my dad and it is for me.

4. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm half and half. I like being an only child in that I have never had to share my mom with anyone. I also like that I've always had my own space and privacy. I'm very glad I never had any younger siblings as they would annoy me but sometimes I wish I had an older sibling. I often think about when my mom dies, I will have no one to reminisce with about her. Those memories will be mine to carry alone and it's kind of sad.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have a younger sister, who is close to 3 years apart from me, and we are not very close. To be honest, I sometimes forget I even have a sister, because of the lack of closeness between us.

I'm sure, in a more positive upbringing, having siblings does have perks. But for me, it was simply a minor obstacle to deal with and overcome, as sad as that is to admit. My sister and I didn't much like one another, would use one another as scapegoats, but the real kicker is... when we had a common goal or enemy, we could work together, very well and very effectively actually, but the moment we accomplished whatever it was we needed to... it was back to being indifferent rivals.

I suppose, in a way, this toughened me up. Many people have a hard time imagining hurting or going against their family, which is fine, that means you have some kind of strong foundation there. Me, however, family has more to prove to me than a stranger, and while this may make me emotionally distant, it allows me to better operate through life, without any distractions. That sounds a tad deranged, but it is rather wasteful to be concerned with those who, quite simply, are not concerned with you.

6. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised as an only child. When I was older I did get 3 half-brothers, but we were raised apart and I didn't even meet any of them until I was 18 at which point they were at the baby/toddler stage so I didn't really have the 'sibling experience' as such. When I was 6 years old I briefly allowed myself to wonder what it would be like, because my mother was pregnant at the time. But to be honest even from when I was told this news I sort of knew it wouldn't happen due to my father's violent tendencies (she miscarried).

Whilst I would say that I can relate to the idea of not wanting to mingle and hating parties, I very much doubt that in my case being an only child had much to do with that. I knew other kids at school who were only children and some of them seemed to be real people persons.

On the subject of selfishness: I observed through my younger brothers that being a sibling does in no way guarantee an ability to share! The two eldest ones had less than a year between them and consequently would often receive duplicates of the exact same toy so they had one each of their own. Regardless, they still managed to get into daily tooth-and-nail fights about who got to play with a certain toy. The toy that one of them was playing with could be exactly the same in every way, but the very fact they have it made it somehow 'better' and caused the other to want it just for the sake of it. One of my brothers even had a habit of -ahem- 'marking his territory' on any toy he didn't want anyone else to touch. Now I can't say I was brilliant at sharing as a child myself, but at least I didn't have cause to go that far! :lol:

#6 TigerInATophat, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how I would get by if I were an only child. My little sister assists me with school assignments and stuff; without her I don't know how I'd get stuff done. :confused:

8. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the youngest in my family with one sister, four years older than me. I never liked being the youngest child, I constantly felt smaller and weaker than everyone around me; I always felt like I was in a race that, no matter how hard I tried, I could never win. And though I'm starting to get over that now that I'm not living at home and starting to develop a sense of independence, I think that did cause me to have some self-esteem issues in my late teens.

Also, like the stereotypical younger sibling, I was a spoiled, whiny, selfish brat. I look back at how I acted when I was a kid and I cringe. I was the type of kid who'd yell at their parents in the middle of the store for not buying them what they wanted. I really wish someone had slapped me in the face and told me to stop being the spoiled little shit I was.

On the other hand, since my sister had already gone through everything I went through growing up, I was able to go to her for advice and help if I needed it. And my sister often forced me to get up and do stuff I probably would never have done otherwise, and though I didn't like how bossy she was at the time, I have to admit, I did find some of my favorite hobbies because of this.

Overall, I don't think there is a best option when it comes to birth order. Every position has its pros and cons and, frankly, whenever I see discussions about which is the best/worst, it seems like most (but not all) just argue that their position as the oldest/middle/youngest/only/whatever is the worst. Yeah, we might be unhappy with whatever position we ended up with, but we'd probably be just as unhappy with any other, so I don't think it's worth complaining about, though I do enjoy hearing other people's thoughts/experiences with regards to growing up in whatever position they were in.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to Aton of what you've said only child can be protective over certain things. I get ya (*hug*)

10. AfraidandAlone

i have an older brother we fought a lot as kids but if any one tried to hurt me he always had my back. part of me has always wanted a sister though.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an only child. My parents often left me alone because they were busy with work. I was pretty responsible except that one time I set fire to the carpet.

Sometimes I think it would've been cool to have siblings. But it's a miracle that I'm here. My mother dislikes children. She made an exception for me. My parents have fought less since I was born.

I usually don't trust people with my pens/pencils because of experiences at high school. I would lend pens/pencils and students then claimed my pens/pencils belonged to them.

13. Vesalius

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wish I was an only child. My older sister is not supportive, protective or caring. I am deeply envious of siblings that are close. My sister cut me out of her wedding because I was too big for the bridesmaids dress. Sometimes siblings aren't all they are cracked up to be.

14. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I am pretty anti social, but only because I don't care to mingle with the type of people we have around here.

I don't understand and never understood why sharing was so important, and I put myself before everyone else.

I do not attribute this to being an only child. It's just the way I am. And, the last part, putting yourself before others, should be something a lot more people should do.

15. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I grew up as an only child until I was 10, when my mother got pregnant with twins and 3 years later gave birth to another kid. I didn't mind it much in the beginning, since I had always felt lonely and thought I could use some company besides my favorite room objects and the people from my favorite books. I never had many friends and cut ties frequently. But I was obviously kind of left out by my parents since they needed to take care of my siblings. So in the end I was still alone, but with not much space in my room. And gradually my siblings started to destroy my cherished belongings - because that's what children do - and I felt not only lonely, but stripped of my individuality. Well, I love my siblings, but I can't help but wonder what it would be like if they never existed.