1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Religious Family/Friends are Scared to Support You

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Driftr

I don't mean to bring up gloomy subject matter but has this ever happened to anyone after coming out where religious family and/or friends are scared to support you just to be on the safe side because supporting you is the difference between eternal damnation and eternal paradise - well at least to them?

I'm beginning to think this is more common than I thought it was. Because I'm sure in anti-gay christian denominations, which tremendously outnumber pro-LGBT denominations, anyone who even supports LGBT people are bound for hell, let alone is LGBT. And not very many of us are lucky to be born into a family that is a part of a pro-LGBT denomination.

And then you try to show them that it is not really a sin, that it's mistranslated, but they still insist that trying to make the bible seem pro-gay is quite the stretch and is too much maneuvering for their comfort.

Sorry if it seems like I'm going on and on and ranting, but I just felt like I had to let it all out. What do you do after this point - after the point where no one comes around? Do you still talk to them? I feel like I might get to this point in the future if I come out and I was just wondering if anyone who is at this point has any advice.

2. Jolly Roger

If I were you, I wouldn't let their bigotry get the best of me. When I came out as an atheist in my extremely conservative town, I had a lot of people simply stop talking to me, or give me horrid looks(I wonder what their reaction would be if I told them I was LGBT :grin:)
    So just don't let it get to you, show them kindness where they show you hostility, show them that just because of your life choice, it doesn't make you any less human than the rest of them. If they think that loving someone and supporting them will make them burn in the fiery depths of hell in the afterlife, then let them waste away and drown in blind ignorance in their physical life. And all these events could enlighten you on who your true friends really are, I know it certainly did for me. And remember, it really doesn't matter what those around you think, the only thing that matters is if your happy. On the point of still talking to them, I would talk to them as if nothing had happened in the first place between you, and if they still refuse to talk to you or downright put you down in conversation, than remove yourself from the discussion, for they aren't worth your time. I don't know if this is helpful, and I'm sorry if I sounded a bit malice, but I hope my ranting had some value in it :lol: good luck, and I hope everything turns fine.