1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were any of you uncomfortable with your labels at first?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pinkbabe, Apr 2, 2015.

1. pinkbabe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have been out as bisexual for a long time, but recently I realized I'm a lesbian.
    Which is super cool and freeing and I love it but I feel super uncomfortable saying it out loud or even typing it. idk if this is some internalized homophobia, or because I've always separated myself from lesbians, or because it's so new... whatever the reason, I just feel so weird calling myself a lesbian.

I'm totally ok with saying "I'm gay" because I would say that all the time when I thought I was bisexual. Should have been a hint....

Have any of you ever experienced something like this?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I haven't. But you don't need to label yourself if you don't want to.

3. C P

C P

Biologically speaking, I dread using a certain orientation word when referencing myself, so I guess.

4. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wasn't a huge fan of the word 'lesbian' at first and preferred using 'gay' but I'm trying to use 'lesbian' more often now and I don't mind it as much anymore. Idk. I still hate the Dutch word for 'lesbian' tho, lol.

5. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not that fond of it... Not that I'm ashamed or what, but I find it restrictive

6. Jolly Roger

I really find using any "label" has kind of slanderous undertones to it, In a perfect world I would just say that I'm me, but alas humans need labels to categorize each other in. I'm not ashamed of it, just putting a word to it gives it a final legitimacy, like people will remember you that way only the rest of your life, which in some cases makes it hard to say or type. But really who cares what people like that think? The only person it should affect is you.