1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richard Dawkins' Religious Scale

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wander, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Where do you fall on the scale?

1. 1 - I am 100% there is a god

21 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. 2 - There almost certainly is a god

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. 3 - It is more likely there is a god than not

12 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. 4 - Neutral, both are equally probable

20 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. 5- It is more likely there is no god

24 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. 6 - There almost certainly is no god

35 vote(s)
    23.3%
  7. 7 - I am 100% certain there is no god

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In his book "The God Delusion", Prof. Dawkins sets out a scale by which a person may measure their attitude towards the existence of supreme beings. This forum seems to be more inherently tolerant of others than most sites I've been to, and I'm just plain curious: where would you rank yourself on this scale? You can give reasons why if you like, but try to keep the arguing and attacking down. If you would rather not answer, then simply don't vote.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose #6 -- you can never be 100% sure though. That's why I didn't go with option #7.

3. Daniel

This is kind of specific...maybe the wording could have been a little more vague to include more religions that a person is a member of?

4. littledinosaurs

Im a fence sitter.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The scale is not meant to measure religion definitively, but the belief in the existence of one or more divine entities. Nothing more or less. I'm just giving you what he wrote in his book, not my own work.

6. XXX Lou XXX

I voted 7. I've never believed in god and I don't think I ever will.

7. No One

while i voted almost certainly there isn't a god i have to say this my dad is a preacher and while sometimes i wish and feel that there is a god my mind set makes me look for a scientific explanation for the world around me. In my opinion while it isn't entirely impossible that there is a mystical being that has created the universe it is more probable, more likely, and more sensible that the universe was created by scientific means. i dont know im very confused about the whole religion thing.

8. Hoppip

I'd say I'm a five, but I absolutely love when people have a religion; it's the spice of life, the diversity that makes us all whole. I think it's perfectly fine to be religious or nonreligious, and I love that people are and aren't. But personally, I'm a five.

9. NathanHaleFan

I voted a six. I'd just like to say that, whatever you believe about a god or gods, nobody should ever place themselves as a #1 or #7, because as a principle, you can never be 100% sure of anything. Dawkins himself is a 6.

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I went with #6 :slight_smile:

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I really can't vote in this poll. I am not a person who can hold a belief without some sort of proof backing up that belief, and we have no proof that God exists or does not exist, at least, none that I know of. And even if we did have proof one way or another, religion is so omnipresent in our society that it would be impossible for that proof to be looked at rationally.

12. Brandford

I believe there is a god but i think hes waaaaaaayyyyy overrated, so i put 4

13. Mickey

I voted 3. Catholic guilt...ya know?

14. Myke

Myke Guest

i went with #6

15. I said 5. Evidence points very strongly towards there being no God, but we really won't know until death.

16. I'm a three. I stopped believing in Abrahamic religions because I don't believe a god would ever let the worship of it become so segmented with so many offshoots. I definitely think it's possible that there is no god, but if there wasn't, why do they say that the universe began? If there was not god, how would anything begin?

As for evolution and stuff like that, I refuse to argue about that because any arguments either way, for or against, would just kind of bounce off of me. I don't know enough about science to be convinced by scientific reasoning, no matter what you're arguing for.

17. Nixon

number 2
    ever saw rabbi schmuley school him on youtube

18. White Sundog

I considered myself a "soft" or agnostical atheist, until I heard of something called "ignosticism" in which the question of the presence or absence of a God depends heavily on how you define God, which is almost impossible to do. So now I'm not sure whether to call myself an atheist or not, but I don't think there's any kind of "traditional" humanoid God. The closest answer on this scale to my current attitude is "more likely that there isn't one" - 5.

I guess in the purest sense of "doesn't believe, but doesn't necessarily disbelieve either," I am still an atheist. But I think a God of some sort is more likely than I used to think now that I realize the undefinability of the concept.

#18 White Sundog, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  19. Amy

Amy

Persnaly, I am 100% sure that there is a supreme, spiritual being. However, if someone does not believe the same as I --whether it is the views of religion in general or in my God-- I do not care. My two bestfriends are a Hindu and a guy who believes there must be a special place for him in hell.

I believe that each person has their own spirit and their beleifs are, just that, their's.

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I put down 7... im in between a 6 and 7. I am about 99.9999% sure there is no God.