1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the tip of my tongue...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jim1454, May 24, 2007.

1. Jim1454

Perhaps its a sign that I'm getting more and more comfortable with my orientation. I'm sure that spending time online here is helping with that alot. (Thank you guys!)

However, I'm not 'out' yet because this is a fairly recent realization for me, and I'm not in any real hurry to disclose it to a lot of people.

However, quite often I find myself about to say something that would sound very odd from a 'straight' guy. As an example, there was an article on Gay.com about the singing duo 'Erasure' and a comeback album they've released (most of you are too young to know who they are!) and I was about to tell my best female friend that I had read it there - because she's also a fan. Today at lunch I was out with an old friend from highschool who was talking about his boss, who he really likes, and is a gay guy. It was on the tip of my tongue to say 'oh - I'd like to meet him!'

Yikes!

Do the rest of you find yourselves doing this? Any funny / embarassing stories? It would be one way to come 'out', even if it would be unplanned.

2. Phantomblade

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no funny or embarrasing stories but i used to find my self in the middle of a conversation and i would just want to yell "IM GAY". i thought it was so weird. i mean i knew i was gay but it was like it had a life of its own and it was gonna come out wether i liked it or not. after i came out i still had the urge when i was around my parents (who i had not come out to yet) but when i did it went away. i was so weird.

3. GuitarGirl1350

There was always my first coming out, in which I used the word "bent" and feel like a jackass about now =P

4. SadConfusedBandGeek

lol i keep wanting to talk bout the guy i like lol...I almost told him he had such pretty eyes lol...he would'a been like..wut? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. xequar

I know exactly what you mean. The only real difference is that I don't stop myself from making the comments. Although I'm out to most everybody, I never really bothered to tell my co-workers (with one exception) since it's pretty much not relevant to them anyway. I figure, if they look at me weird or ask, big whoop.

6. Everyone just thinks Im joking. Just like if I say a girl's hot when she clearly isnt. I'll be like Oh yeah he's hot and everyone laughs. I'm like I love you people, nice and clueless. Makes it easier for me hehehe.

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems like that would be about the best way possible to come out with as little fanfare as possible and in as "natural" a way as possible too. Why censor yourself? (Unless you expect a hugely negative reaction, in which case I do understand the urge.)

8. LorenzG1950

Had a humorous experience while I was at the races with my best girl friend (who is married). An old buddy compliments me on her good looks and speculates whether I'm getting some of that later. I replied that we're very good friends but that I'm gay. It just kind of came out there without thinking. For a second, I thought I was going to see a black man turn white :icon_bigg . It was hilarious and I think he still doesn't believe me.

But yeah, at work I'm often tempted to tell some co-worker about what I did on the weekend or the night before. On the one hand, I'm dying to tell folks that I've known for a long time and respect, just to see their reaction. Then again, I don't want our professional relationship to suffer so I'll bend the sentence in midstream. Actually I'm still shy with my boyfriend when it comes to discussing specific sexual preferences :icon_redf (although he has no problem discussing them with me at all). Guess it just takes a period of adjustment when you've been dodging your sexuality for so long, very long in my case.

9. Kimi

I'm trying not to do things like that but I guess I'm not carefully person:eusa_thin

I often add "XX" end of my email to my straight male friends...of course I don't notice it untill they ask me why did I type it...:icon_redf

And I usually say "Ooh, he is hot" without any problems...my friends doesn't say anything about it...maybe they got used to it or they know who I am:eusa_eh:

10. Jim1454

As Lorenz mentions above, its just hard to change the way you interact with people when for so long you've been 'straight' - to them and to yourself! I don't expect a particularly negative reaction - but I'm just not quite ready to make that change in my life given all the other changes that have occurred recently. It really is only in the past 4 months that I've accepted that I'm gay...

So for the next little while I expect I'll keep using the 'filter'.